Air Cooled Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigweedo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Have been doing some research on air cooled hoods and exhaust, and thought I would ask my friends here :)

I have a 600 watt hps and want to buy an air cooled hood.

Is it possible to exhaust the room through the hood?

Hood--->Exhaust Fan----> Outside (Have a 6 inch 400cfm fan)

I've heard of people removing glass and having success, but others saying it can get way too out without the glass.

Do I need two different fans, or can I run one?

Thanks!

Big

how big is your room? that will help decide if that 400 cfm fan will have the oomph to properly exhaust the air in your room, it will cool the light. if your getting an air coolable hood i dont really see the point in taking the glass out... thats the whole point of an air cooled hood, to have the glass so its sealed and cooled and you can hug that fixture closer to your plants without heat issues, keep the glass in, hook up your exhaust fan and blow the air outta the room. as for fans you need an exhaust fan and a fan to keep air flowing in your grow space. i personaly have 2 large oscalliating fans to keep the air moving around my plants plus my 424cfm HV exhaust fan cooling my HPS bulb.
hope that helped a bit...

:yeahthat:

That is the way I have mine connected. I have ducting connected to the outlet side of the hood. This runs to the exhaust fan and more ducting runs to outside. I have passive inlets that pull cool air from the crawl space. I have filter material over the inlet holes and also on the inlet side of the hood. I have 1 oscillating fan that seems to do the job just fine. Depending on the size of your space and the fan you use, you may want 2. I'm with Sunakard about not removing the glass.

My flower room is 3.5 x 3.5 x 8, and I run a 600-watt HPS inside one of those huge Luxor vertical bulb hoods with 8" flanges. I have an 8" 636 CFM fan that both cools the light and exhausts the room, and I have a speed controller to dim the fan a bit. I also have an oscillating fan inside the room. Seems to work fine. Temps stay in the 75-78 degree range.

:yeahthat: i have 2 600 watt cool tubes same setup 450 cfm cooling the lights and exhausts outside the grow room

i keep my intake air around 70 deg and never have temps higher than 74 or 75 deg in grow tent

i can also connect a piece of ducting from my ac unit straight to my grow tent and pump cool air right in during summer months-----> click BELOW to see my Set uP

Light distance?

HappyHead said:
I exhaust my entire 10x10 room as follows:

Carbon Filter >>>>> 450 CFM Inline Fan >>>>> ducting >>>>> Sealed Light >>>>> ducting to outside......

This creates a "Passive Intake" on the entire room and constantly draws cool filtered air in from outside.

Fan stays ON 24/7 regardless of the light cycle...

I have been able to cool 1200 watts with this 450 cfm inline and have never had temps higher than 76 degrees with intake air always between 60-70 degrees.

Cheers ~

I think that it is usually preferable to pull the air through the hood rather than push it. When you pull it through you create negative pressure which helps keep the odors of the grow room contained. When you push the air through the light, you create positive pressure and often push the smells out of the grow room through doors.

I also run my fan all the time.

One thing I am curious about while you're all on this subject.

Wouldn't the hot air being sucked through the fan cause the fan to degrade faster?
Like extra heat on motor wears it out???

I have had my vortex set up with it pulling for literally years with no problems. I read the opposite somewhere about the centrifuge type fans somewhere--that they are more efficient if pulling the air.

No matter how you set it up the fan is always sucking thru the filter.
So the real option is if you want to have negative or positive pressure in the hood.
If the filter is in the tent /room with the fan it will have effect on the tents pressure if the hood leaks some from positive pressure of blowing thru the hood.
What this will do is keep dust out of your hood.

So really it comes down to the quality of your hood because if its not sealed well you wont get the same amount of exhaust if you push air thru the hood.

In smaller spaces such as the 4x4 or 5x5 tents, it is a must to have the exhaust fan outside the tents just for the room to make adjustments to lights, oscillating fans, flex hose, filter, etc. :)

Hushpuppy said:
In smaller spaces such as the 4x4 or 5x5 tents, it is a must to have the exhaust fan outside the tents just for the room to make adjustments to lights, oscillating fans, flex hose, filter, etc. :)
I had a 4.5x4.5 tent with a magnum xxl hood and was able to do the filter >>>>hood>>>>fan>>>out set up without much issue. I had a can66 filter in there too. I suppose if you had extremely tall plants or multiple hood it could get more difficult tho.

Latest posts

Back