fruit flys ugh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongofury

Need a light?
Reaction score
I spotted a few fruit flys in my tent. I didn't think much of it but I figured I would put a bunch of sticky fly traps in the tent so I did and to my suprise I caught hundreds of them. What can fruit flys do to the plants?

Are you sure they are not fungus gnats

No, I am not sure after I googled pics of both. Both larvae's look about the same but the fly's look somewhat different.

I'll check out the captured bugs with a cheap hand held microscope

They are a real pain to get rid of,they are usually a result of overwatering,what has worked for me in the past was some sterilized play sand ,put about 3/4 of an inch covering the soil so they can't dig and lay eggs,they're life cycle is very fast and they die off fast

They are a real pain to get rid of,they are usually a result of overwatering,what has worked for me in the past was some sterilized play sand ,put about 3/4 of an inch covering the soil so they can't dig and lay eggs,they're life cycle is very fast and they die off fast

Will do. Today. Thanks.

Bottom watering works too. If you bottom water only, the top inch or two of soil will stay dry. They have the same problem with the dry soil as they do with the sand. No more gnats.

I top and bottom water. I pour 1/2 gallon on the top. A few plants will drain into and fill the tray and a few will not. Different plant every time. I finish watering at the bottom. When the plants are finished sucking up the water, I suck the remainder of the water out of the trays and I'm finished. I have been watering every 4 days.

My clip on fans are clipped to the tables the pots are setting on therefore pointing up at a 45 deg. or so angle, thus not drying out the top layer of soil. I'm thinking this may be the problem. I will change the fan location along with a layer of diatomaceous soil and the sand recommendation.
The thc bomb plants are looking great with a little nute burn on the older leaves. New growth looks good. The AK47 show more aggressive nute burn with large fan leaves clawing.

I have discontinued all n feeding and I am on all bloom nutes. The 5th week ends today.

They have long antenna's and a striped body, stripped kinda like a bee. I think they are the gnats as fruit flys don't have the long antenna's. There is no sign of an active gnat. Going to HD tonite to get some play sand.

I hope the problem is solved. Thanks everyone.

I thought a fruit flies were huge. Maybe im thinking of Fruit Bats.lol

Right,,that would be a ***** having Fruit Bats jacking with my grows.

If that does not work benicial nematodes are a sure bet... Worked for me.

Sounds like you got great help here. LOL WH... bats? Owls?

Nematodes, yes you put them on your dirt.

I got nematodes 2 years ago when I got my ladybugs. I put them on my front yard and the grow area. you get millions on a small sponge .Can not see them, Front yard is mole free. No food, no moles I guess. I just went out in the driveway for my sand . lol

Latest posts

Back