what is the truth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
im still on the fence about plants producing better buds if the small stuff gets whacked. do you really get better buds or just loose the small stuff.

Only one way to answer that question. Grow 2 plants of the same strain, side by side, and trim one up and let the other grow. This will be proof positive, one way or the other. Get growin` and green mojo to ya.

I don't think that you get better bud, but of course that depends on how you are defining "better". You do lose the small stuff, but you don't "lose" it in the traditional sense--the growth just goes more to the colas.

yes when you trim all the small stuff off, all the energy in the plant goes to the other buds. they are not better ( more THC) but they are bigger.

So would the extra bulkiness from trimming be better or stronger smoke than the popcorn buds from below? I'm assuming yes.

I am seeing from my 1st grow here that when I lolly popped, I left the little buds grow and took only shade leaves. My top buds are nice but most are a little too small. I am disapointed. I thinks there would have been bigger top buds if I would have fully lolly popped. I'll let you know for sure in another 6 months after my 2nd grow. lol It won't happen this grow.

yes when you trim all the small stuff off, all the energy in the plant goes to the other buds. they are not better ( more THC) but they are bigger.

^^ This :aok:

Anything left to not attain peak canopy position, will be "popcorn" bud, and basically only good enough to go in your trim pile.

I try to always take off the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the plant. Nothing worse than crappy popcorn bud.

So would the extra bulkiness from trimming be better or stronger smoke than the popcorn buds from below? I'm assuming yes.

No, I don't think that it is stronger (see Umbra's post). You just don't have to deal with those little tiny PITA to trim buds that you get if you do not trim.

Here is another thought. It depends how you use it. My daughter will trim tiny buds, it drives me nuts, but she uses a small vap or a glass piece and she likes those little buds for that. No grinding.

I am like the others and take off the bottoms maybe 1/4. I like it for air flow both indoor and out. The tops do get bigger... that is the truth. All my small bud goes to make medicine, as i always have some of those.

I am seeing from my 1st grow here that when I lolly popped, I left the little buds grow and took only shade leaves. My top buds are nice but most are a little too small. I am disapointed. I thinks there would have been bigger top buds if I would have fully lolly popped. I'll let you know for sure in another 6 months after my 2nd grow. lol It won't happen this grow.

Oh, you did it backwards. You should have taken the small buds off and left the fan leaves. The fan leaves are where the vast percentage of photosynthesis takes place. Taking the fan leaves off and leaving the small buds would be detrimental to the plant and I am not surprised that the buds are smaller.

Oh, you did it backwards. You should have taken the small buds off and left the fan leaves. The fan leaves are where the vast percentage of photosynthesis takes place. Taking the fan leaves off and leaving the small buds would be detrimental to the plant and I am not surprised that the buds are smaller.

I only took the fan leaves off the bottom 1/4. I just couldn't bring myself to picking the popcorn buds too.

The fan leaves are where the vast percentage of photosynthesis takes place. Taking the fan leaves off and leaving the small buds would be detrimental to the plant and I am not surprised that the buds are smaller.

Not with LED's miss. There's a certain amount of "defoliating" that should be done, for proper penetration. Again, something I learned the hard way when I switched HPS. I was warned and showed the way, but choose to try what I knew first in lieu of what was being presented to me.

I've never treated my plants more like bonsai's than I currently do. They get lots of tender loving care ... by the hand of my FISKERS lol

But you don't leave the bottom buds on and take the fan leaves off do you DGF? If you are removing the fan leaves, don't you remove the small buds, too?

I do realize that you do need to trim differently with LEDs, but we are not speaking of that here.

I remove the lower 1/3 - 1/4 of growth.. nodes and fans.. then I remove selective fan leaves all the rest of veg, and the first week and a half of flowering. If you don't, you won't get the penetration. At least with Mars LED's this is something that I need to be doing

:D

But, even if I were still HPS, I would super train and tend like I do now. I feel as though it leads to larger buds, and better production overall.

is there a cut off point for trimming? I have read that trimming should be stopped during flowering. and that trimming to much at one time is not good. true. false. matters not?

No more than 2 weeks after flowering starts. First 2 weeks only is when I trim up to. And in Veg, you can take a weed whacker to em and it doesn't matter. :D

I just cut all my girls up from the bottom last week or so. I am just hardly seeing any preflowers so i would do it now. Would you like to see a pic?

Latest posts

Back