Dead seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweest

Reaction score
After Germinating my last batch of seed from Attitude, nearly half have went south, or germinated dead it seems. Sorry for the lack of photos, but imagine your seed with a little root sticking out but being dark in color, leave sack is black in color. As if they are "born dead".

Anyone have this happen, if so, what may be the cause?

Sweest said:
After Germinating my last batch of seed from Attitude, nearly half have went south, or germinated dead it seems. Sorry for the lack of photos, but imagine your seed with a little root sticking out but being dark in color, leave sack is black in color. As if they are "born dead".

Anyone have this happen, if so, what may be the cause?
If you tell us how you germinated the seeds, it would help.

Step by step from taking the seeds out of the package...

Out of the bag and onto a wet paper towel, into a zip lock back, and placed on the top of my cable box. Checked every 12 hours or so.

Yo Ho my Friends,

A good while back in my life, I also found this happening. Turned out it was a poor method to go about getting what you want.
Since most folks really prefer to do the germing in this fashion, may I offer a few bits of thought that might help you.?

1. Step one would be to make certain that the paper towel has no ink prints, (flowers and such).
2. Avoid any paper towels that have been bleached. (read Package).
3. DO NOT put in a sealed plastic bag.
4. Pour boiling hot water onto towel gently as the hot water will turn the towel to mush, so careful does it. This is to kill off any bacteria that may be on the towels or from your hands. This is done prior to placing the beans in it obviously.

I myself have found much better results using the peat plugs, as I do not need to handle the beans and risk knocking the tap off.
Just my $0.02

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

There are a zillion ways that people use to germinate seeds. Some have great success, some have nothing but failure.

For all, I've aways suggested using a commercial germination tray with a heat mat. Total cost; about $40 for the tray, heat mat and small HPS.

If your seeds are viable, they'll grow in one of these trays. No more paper towels, baggies, Mickey mouse methods of heating the germination area, no more Bubba Gardening.

The first time I used mine, it worked flawlessly. I've grown thousands of seeds in it now and have had almost 100% germination of any seeds I've put into it.

hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=1898

Your attempt sounds like the seeds were killed by too much heat. The water in the baggie "cooked" the seeds.

A lot of people here are growing hundreds of dollars of seeds and thousands of dollars worth of pot, but refuse to spend 40 bucks on a germination center. I'll never figure it out.

Once you try it, you'll never stop using it.

I should sell em for them. I sound like I am. (I have nothing to do with Hydrofarm but buying their products.)

I think the cable box may have been too warm for them? was the area dark? I usualyl put mine in a paper towel in a bag or a plastic container then put them in a closet. completely dark. I dont let the sunlight or any light hit the roots directly (even when I check them). and I make sure they stay wet. I have had a 100% rate with this method. Except a couple white seeds that werent mature yet. good luck next time! before I touch the seeds I scrub my hands very well. Do you smoke ciggs?? I have heard that sometimes if you smoke a cig and touch the plants or seeds that they can get diseases from the tobacoo..just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the input guys. I suspected the heat was my issue. As long as I can figure out why the mistake was made I feel I can prevent it from happening again. I'm going to look into that heat tray.

Sweest said:
31.99 from hydrofarm Thanks StoneyBud

Mighty Hydro has it for 26.95....hxxp://www.mightyhydro.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Germination+Station&osCsid=e2a770f6b699767252e7f17d0316426f&x=13&y=13

Hydrofarm only sells to retailers....

Sweest said:
31.99 from hydrofarm Thanks StoneyBud
Get some 1.5" rockwool blocks, pre-soak them, rinse them in RO water and without squeezing them, just sling some of the water out and drop one seed in the hole in the block. Just leave it lay in the bottom of the hole and put the entire thing into the dark on the heat mat for a few days. When you look again, all the seeds will have sprouted. Then put it under some light, remove the heat mat and grow....

if it is really warm where we live is the heating pad still necessary? I figured people in cooler areas used them more.

2Dog said:
if it is really warm where we live is the heating pad still necessary? I figured people in cooler areas used them more.

Agree, temps have been staying in the 90's+ I have to think it is why I have been having the problem in the first place.

2Dog said:
If it's in the 80's or 90's inside where you're germinating, you wouldn't need it. Most people keep their houses at 75-80 with air conditioning. The heat mat keeps the seeds at a constant warm temperature. I would try it without the heat mat if your house is nice and warm. If it works with just a few seeds then you don't need the mat.

I keep my house at 78. I have very good results using the mat.

thanks stoney! u always know.

Latest posts

Back