First time grower using ebb and grow system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try and get the pH down a bit. With hydro, I like my top end to be 6.0. I always start lower (5.4 to 5.5) and let it drift up. There are some nutrients that are just not available at 6.0. Also, get a new pH meter asap. Strips are simply not accurate enough.

I think that they do look very good though. I think that they are happy with the watering cycle. I see no sign of nute burn, so the strength of the food is okay. Just work up slowly.

With the decomposing moss it seems to turn out very good. I will try a little lower on thank you for your insight

I use Hemp Depot in Canada. They do not take CC, so you do have to get a MO or send cash, but it is not a biggy to pick up a MO somewhere. They are handling a lot of different breeders' gear now. http://hempdepot.ca/

I thought maybe I'd find that satori everybody talks about here but no luck.<br/> can you get it in Canada?

Thank you, I can currently only on week one seedling nutes, but this friday i am going to change it to week2 early growth, and as for the meter i am disappointed, I have a blue labs combo meter but the probe is bad, then i get a ph tester by hannah and that one wont read either, I have the solution of 4 and 7 ph and when i try to calibrate it i never stops falling, arrgggg.... I am going to try to get it lower then 6 and hopefully not to low

Thank you, I can currently only on week one seedling nutes, but this friday i am going to change it to week2 early growth, and as for the meter i am disappointed, I have a blue labs combo meter but the probe is bad, then i get a ph tester by hannah and that one wont read either, I have the solution of 4 and 7 ph and when i try to calibrate it i never stops falling, arrgggg.... I am going to try to get it lower then 6 and hopefully not to low

I found the metres take getting used to, mine still frustrates me but it's just a voltmetre. I think what happens is solution remains on the tip and screws up subsequent readings, you have to rinse well between every reading.<br/>
and the readings are not instant, you have to wait until it settles.

Last edited:
I started germinating a 3rd seed on monday night, today i checked it and had a 1/4 inch taproot which i put into some STG and we will see what happens

updated images. Tomorrow night i will switch to early growth nutes

It's a little hard keeping up with you :) what are these seedlings sitting in?
just the hydroton pellets? a rapid rooter? another kind of plug?

If the picture shows these were grown with the 3 part jungle juice in Promix. With just to of there additives bud candy and big bud. I ran these at 12ml a gallon of bloom 6 ml micro and 3ml of grow for the bud candy it was 7ml a gallon and I had powdered big bud and used a 1/4tsp per gallon. I also use Apple cider vinegar to bring ph down. Takes about 6mils to get my water to a 5.7 or so hope this helps you out

Apple cider vinegar? Pros and cons of this practice

Oh and the plant great gooch [emoji106]&#127995; I have a blue labs combo. It says to calibrate it monthly. I calibrate mine every other day or so. Otherwise the readings seem to get screwy

sopappy if you look back to page three you will see them as seedlings in rockwool, i buried the rockwool so as to avoid algae, I have 2 growing inside the rockwool, and i just started a new seedling in STG as an experiment, and i am going to keep the week one nutes going for the STG and then im going to start the 2 in rockwool on week2 early growth nutes you can find the image of my nutes on page 4.

Kletus- Thanks man i appreciate the encouragement as this is my first grow in hydro, i am very happy so far, every day i look I have new growth. I just picked up some co2 in a bag that i am going to unleash on them, untill i can get my hands on a proc02 bucket

@Kletus what is the apple cider vinegar? please elaborate

Ok so i just installed a bag of CO2 above my girls its a small bag and likely wont get it to the 1200ppm i need for optimization but i think every little bit counts. I am going to get a cheap tester maybe

If the picture shows these were grown with the 3 part jungle juice in Promix. With just to of there additives bud candy and big bud. I ran these at 12ml a gallon of bloom 6 ml micro and 3ml of grow for the bud candy it was 7ml a gallon and I had powdered big bud and used a 1/4tsp per gallon. I also use Apple cider vinegar to bring ph down. Takes about 6mils to get my water to a 5.7 or so hope this helps you out

How many gallons is your reservoir that you used 6mil apple cider vinegar?

Ive read about the vinegar but don't anyone that's done it.

sopappy if you look back to page three you will see them as seedlings in rockwool, i buried the rockwool so as to avoid algae, I have 2 growing inside the rockwool, and i just started a new seedling in STG as an experiment, and i am going to keep the week one nutes going for the STG and then im going to start the 2 in rockwool on week2 early growth nutes you can find the image of my nutes on page 4.

Kletus- Thanks man i appreciate the encouragement as this is my first grow in hydro, i am very happy so far, every day i look I have new growth. I just picked up some co2 in a bag that i am going to unleash on them, untill i can get my hands on a proc02 bucket

I swear those pictures weren't there when I went back before hahaha... I am growing in dirt and in water and it's a pain, I would not germinate in that STG if you are DWC, you just can NOT successfully transplant them in to the pellets. It's dirty, and the roots all clump together in to one mass, I tried 4 times now and none took.<br/>
transplanting in to the buckets is stressless with the plugs.<br/>
I sez you will get next to no benefit from the CO2 effort, just feed them gobs and gobs of fresh air.

Gooch, sorry, but I wholeheartedly agree with Sopappy--unregulated CO2 is a waste of time, money, and energy. Good ventilation with air exchange every minute or more will be more beneficial than those CO2 bags. This is not a case of where "every little bit helps". I must be controlled and regulated and you also have to other things when enhancing CO2. A proc02 bucket is not going to be any better. At this stage of the game, just get the basics down and don't worry about adding CO2 now. Unless you do it right, with a tank or generator, controllers, monitors, and regulators, you are just wasting money. LOL--get some proper pH up and down with the money you save.

I would not use any food products to raise or lower pH. They break down very very fast and really do not do a good job. Just get something meant for the purpose that you are using it--pH up and down for horticulture. Proper pH is critical in hydro and messing around with weak or ineffective things to pH will probably have bad results and cost you more time and money.

Sopappy they were absolutely there ;-) I am using ebb and flow not DWC.
THG- hopefully I should have my meter figured out tomorrow, i have already spent a couple hundred on testers and solutions but its a learning process. I will get it, the girls look happy, and from my limited reading on co2 i believe the average room has around 300ppm of co2 and ideally you need to add around 1200ppm to get up to 1500ppm which is ideal. But they eat co2, so although it is not a significant increase with generators and controllers etc,,,it has to be some type of improvement or not, I am in experimental stage and i need to perform these tests and get results although i appreciate the input.
here is a quote from an article on hight times "Increasing the CO2 level from 400 ppm to as much as 1,500 ppm can increase plant growth by nearly 40 percent"
http://www.hightimes.com/read/cultivation-clinic-co2-can-increase-yields-40

......and i learn from doing. No worries my girls 2 of them that are left will be just fine, or I could kill them both either is possible

:rofl:
I love your attitude, Gooch.

Its great.. everything i physically touch i break, everything i try that is new i need to make ridiculous mistakes, in order to actually learn the lesson. Its not the easiest way but for the viewing audience it should be enjoyable

Latest posts

Back