Problem drying weed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chen

Reaction score
Due to high humidity, my buds don't seem to dry. Or at least they don't feel dry.

To test this, I left them to dry for a week and weighed them at 41g.

I then turned on the AC until they were crunchy dry and weighed them again at 36g.

That's a 12% decrease in weight. So, it seems like I over-dried them.

Question is - how should I dry them properly?

In the summer, I leave them to dry for 3-4 days and they naturally get to the right weight - dry but not crunchy.

Appreciate the help.

Chen the dry and cure are the most important of the grow. To achieve a proper dry I keep my rH around 60%. NO direct airflow on the drying flowers. A good air exchange is important. Now the time it takes to dry always varies. The best way to determine when its ready to begin the cure is by letting the the outside of the buds get dried to the point that when you try to snap the bud off the stem it snaps off instead of a bit of bend....curing is a whole new topic. Green mojo.

i just had the same problem---rh is super high for me right now---hung the plants for about 10 days---1 day even tented the area with plastic and fired up the dehumidifier---had enough waiting cause they just weren't drying to my liking---clipped the flowers off the stalks and into brown grocery bags---put into a smaller room and ran the dehumidifier for another few hours---seem to be just right now---plenty of trimming in my immediate future---rh is currently running around 70%---be burping the 5 gal buckets today

Yep, fosure. Sometimes gotta help nature along a little bit.

Yeah, I don't have a dehumidifier - only an AC.

But the issue still remains - if you can't let the buds dry naturally, how do you dry them?

How am I supposed to keep the rh at 60%? I can't fine-tune it like that.

So, it seems the only option is to turn on the AC and sit there and wait until they're just right.

what i would do is fill brown paper grocery bags no more than 1/3 way full---roll the top closed---the paper absorbs the moisture---change the bags each day---store them in the driest place like a clothes closet and run a fan to move the air around---open the bags and move the flowers around once a day---you are burping bags like many do with jars---patience will be tested---please don't use your oven---if you must---use a hair dryer on the outside of the paper bags with the top open allowing moisture to be released---otherwise you be creating a steam room if the bag is closed

i have used house screens laying flat, off the floor. with an oscillating fan blowing over the top on low speed. 1 or 2 hours would surely take alota moisture out of the mix. then put weed back in a sealed container for the moisture in the buds to equalize again. meter inside if possible.

what i would do is fill brown paper grocery bags no more than 1/3 way full---roll the top closed---the paper absorbs the moisture---change the bags each day---store them in the driest place like a clothes closet and run a fan to move the air around---open the bags and move the flowers around once a day---you are burping bags like many do with jars---patience will be tested---please don't use your oven---if you must---use a hair dryer on the outside of the paper bags with the top open allowing moisture to be released---otherwise you be creating a steam room if the bag is closed

What he said^^^^^^^^ Thanks Orangesunshine

That doesn't really make much sense..

The problem is that the moisture in the air is equal to the moisture in the wet buds.

If the moisture outside the bag is equal to the moisture inside the bag, then the bag should get wet without the weed.

If the air is too wet to dry the buds, then the bag won't be able to catch the moisture.

And I have 50 oz. to dry.. there's gotta be a better way than a shopping bag.

Chen very wise people are giving you very good advice. Since you don't have it figured out yet yourself why don't you just take the same advice that has been given several times. If your not going to take advice when you ask a question your gonna see real fast how people will begin ignore your posts. We are all here to help and nobody here has given you bad advice. By the way 50 oz isn't **** compared to how weight much some of the very people giving you advice pull per harvest.

The problem is that the moisture in the air is equal to the moisture in the wet buds.

If the moisture outside the bag is equal to the moisture inside the bag, then the bag should get wet without the weed.

If the air is too wet to dry the buds, then the bag won't be able to catch the moisture.

So you dont want advice im taking it? You have been given several ways to dry and cure,,not sure what you want.

The paper bag will act as a dessicant. The humidity inside a sealed paper bag will be lower than the ambient humidity. This method works. You just need a lot of bags for 50 oz.

If the humidity is to high...

Use a different method of cure.

For a crazy idea...use a desicant ( little packets in everything. Reusable after drying in hot oven. How about salt. Right amount of salt in a sealed box will take moisture out of the buds.

you raise the temperature from the outside temp and the humidity will go down in the room........ I love letting a bud sit out in a car that the sun is shinig on during the winter....... dry that bud to a crisp in just a few mins........

50 oz. of weed not drying---do the math and go buy yourself a dehumidifier before you lose your harvest to mold

I totally love my drying tent. Regardless of the temp or humidity in the room, I can completely control both inside the tent. And, it eliminates the incredible odor that's normally associated with harvest time. I have dried the past 4 or 5 harvests and once I got it dialed in, it is working great.

It's no more than a 3x5 tent with a small humidifier and dehumidifier in it. Add a filter and a couple drying racks and... bingo.

I posted a thread on it a while back if you want to see a picture.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73221

Chen, the answer is quite simple, and there are a million and 1 ways to accomplish this feat. but to do it correctly and so you dont waste all that effort you put into growing, go buy a small dehumidifier this will allow you to control the humidity very precisely, once you can control the humidity you can fine tune the cure to produce top quality buds. or you can hack your way through various other means and at least get something.

Latest posts

Back