to much roots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
how do you treat a plant that has been root bound for 5-6 weeks in a solo cup in potting soil? should i rinse the roots till clean and untangle, under water? or transplant with the root ball intact?

I don't know much, but seems like these plants have already been stressed, if it was me I'd get them into a large pot with good trusted soil with the least amount of further stress. Forget the washing, just hope they survive. :watchplant::watchplant::watchplant::watchplant:

how do you treat a plant that has been root bound for 5-6 weeks in a solo cup in potting soil? should i rinse the roots till clean and untangle, under water? or transplant with the root ball intact?

Just bust up the root ball when trans planting to larger container?

tcabs

I might be extra careful, but I've killed enough transplants to do it these ways.... If it was me I'd dig a wide hole and set the cup in, then cut a slit down it, slide it out and pull out cup then pack the dirt around it.....
Have you ever used those little peat disks that expand when wet for starting seedlings? I think they're peat anyway, someone please straighten that out if I'm wrong.... I like em. You can poke your seed in it and set them on a tray. When they sprout just set them in your hole

how do you treat a plant that has been root bound for 5-6 weeks in a solo cup in potting soil? should i rinse the roots till clean and untangle, under water? or transplant with the root ball intact?[/QUOTE

i had 19 clones in solo cups for over 3 months. u could gently break away a few of the densest roots against the lower outside but not necessary. put in good soil and in a week they will look much better. try not to over water.

I wait until they are a little dry and then gently work them out of the cups and set un larger pots with fresh medium. Gently pack the medium down around the root mass and then water in. They never miss a beat as the roots will immediately begin to spread out through the medium. As long as you are gentle (if you break a few small roots, not big deal) they will keep on growing.

Latest posts

Back