Auto's/FFOF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budz4me

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.

Getting ready to plant some auto NL and auto BB. Can I direct sow into FFOF? I plan on using 3 gallon pots from germ to flower. Is that ok?

might be too hot for seedlings...can ya get any seed starter from Homedepot?...Ive not used the FFOF...but have read people cooking the little ones...Mojo for the grow

:48:

I have MGSS, works wonders with peppers, tomatoes, you get the idea. I used it and failed with 4 different seeds(all bag seeds)

Wanted some opinions before I dropped beans I paid for;)

foxfarms Happy Frog is all organic and works well with seedlings, i just pop mine in and they pop up, iv also had them pop with Roots Organic soil. i dont use FFOF as my main soil its mixed with happyfrog and roots

sunakard2000 said:
foxfarms Happy Frog is all organic and works well with seedlings, i just pop mine in and they pop up, iv also had them pop with Roots Organic soil. i dont use FFOF as my main soil its mixed with happyfrog and roots

ocean forest is all organic as well, the soil is just much too "hot" for a seedling, and doesn't include an inoculant like happy frog does. they're both good stuff though. i use ffof as my base in a super soil mix. i transplant my seedlings directly into FFOF as early as 14 days, with an approx. 4" buffer of 50/50 castings and perlite. this allows the delicate seedling roots to seek out food instead of it being forced on them, which can lead to burning.

save yourself the hassle of watering 3gal pots every couple of days for 3-4 months. sow them in a solo cup of happy frog. you will get a good 3-4 weeks out of a solo cup. maybe even more? i use round pots slightly larger in volume. i get 4 weeks before next transplant. then do a mix like suna does. 70/30 ocean forest/happy frog.

forgot to mention earlier cuz its not what i do but my friends dad who only uses FF for soil and nutes fills his flower pots with FFOF and waters, gives a few hours for soil to evenly distribute the water/dry out a fuzz, then pops seeds in, i believe he said over the years hes had about 85% of beans pop up, so only like 15% didnt pop in FFOF, i mentioned to him FFOF may be too hot but it seems to work, he recently changed things up a bit and went with a mix of 80%FFOF and 20% Happyfrog for his soil mix and when filling the pots he uses a small sized coffee can, the 1 pound cans no the 2 pound large cans. anywho when the pot is almost filled compleatly he pops the can in so create a pocket, fills soil around the can till the pots full, takes can out and fills it with only Happy Frog, he had a 100% success rate with beans using this method, i think he dropped 20 beans. he did this because of what i said about the hot FFOF and well it works, just some more ideas... id also be careful with the FF line of nutes, the grow and tiger bloom are synthetic nutes cleated with salts, which will build up if you overfeed and/or dont flush. and remember the synthetic salt cleated nutes will kill off the micros which kind of defeats the purpose of using Happy Frog or any soil with lots of beneficial microbes, since FFOF doesnt have the beneficials its not a big deal but those little microbes do wonders, gotta say i love this whole organic growing, so much simpler then synthetic nutes/hydro

Update:

I have planted 7 seeds. 3 Bubblicious, 2 NL's, and 2 bagseeds. All directly into an ocean forest/light warrior blend (4:1 respectively).

The 2 bagseeds never popped.

All the others popped and are healthy within 4-5 days of direct sow.

Suna: thanks for the tip about FF nutes....These are being fed only water.

i like to put a " pocket " a party cup or 2 of seed starter where i plant my auto seeds
that way they have time to grow and get a bit stronger before they hit the hotter soil

Latest posts

Back