Perlite and Vermiculite - Any Pests?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High

Reaction score
I was first thinking about doing a DWC, but I came across hempy buckets and they seem so much easier so I figured I'd at least give it one try before going to DWC. My question is about the medium. I was thinking about coco and perlite, but then I hear about bug problems. If I run just perlite and vermiculite will I have a lot less bug problems to worry about than if I went with a coco/perlite mix?

bugs have nothing to do with the medium that you grow in

I should clarify, I'm talking about bugs in the medium, not on the plant. Will perlite get bugs in it or at least less than coco?

bugs get in pure hydro...yes bugs can and will get in perlite...again...bugs will get in every medium. Keef had root aphids in aero.

Thanks Umbra. I'm sorry your original reply just confused me. Your second one, spot on :aok:

The biggest issue you will typically have with coco coir and bugs is with fungus gnats. As Umbra stated, you can get bugs in any medium. A big key to not having bugs is to keep your grow space very clean, and don't walk through any tall grass/weeds/bushes before going to your grow as you can very easily pick up bugs on clothes and drop them in your grow space. If you keep sensor pads in your grow space, they will let you know if you are getting any bugs as these are sticky and will trap flying bugs that are attracted to the yellow color. Azomax is an easy cure for mild infestations of leaf/root chewing bugs.

I recently found that spider mites burrow into the wooden stakes I use. I've been spraying and they come back in 2 months every time. It was suggested that I should soak the stakes in a pesticide.

Latest posts

Back