Growing Feminised Seed indoor HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tried seeds under an HPS. I'm thinking EasyBake oven (I modified my sisters)
Good that you're finding out about the heat issues with an HPS but put it away until flower. If I may, Gooch... he's describing a Metal Halide bulb which is a better spectrum for Vegetative cycle. I use T5s 6000K for seedlings and veg, fan blowing across canopy
only 300ppm water (grocery store mineral water) first couple nodes, seed embryos come with built-in goodness (equivalent of plant breastfeeding)

yes i appologize if i was not clear, ideally in vegetative growth period from birth to 3 months the plant is searching for the color blue. it will stretch and stretch until it can find blue or it dies trying. I started my grows using cfl bulbs in the daylight spectrum, and they worked incredibly so much so that i passed them on to other new growers as i moved onto t5's. In flower when its time to switch the plant to 12/12 then you want more on the red spectrum which is the hps high pressure sodium that is the bulb you are currently using

Sorry another question... Now have 1 healthy seedling... And and was given a clone... Have put clone in 2 tub, it's now looking healthy. Just wondering if there's any way to keep both seedling and clone. They are both at different stages obviously. I've moved light over to seedling side of room as picture will show. Am I just wasting time or is there anything I can do to keep both plants... Was thinking of pulling seedling out and just keeping clone but I seedling has rooted in well now so would in my opinion if moved would only destroy. Any ideas??

View attachment image.jpg

Also I have spoken to store owner at the hydro shop, he tells me it's fine to use HPS throughout the entire grow, just uses more power. I'm going to stick with the HPS and see What happens, so far so good.

There are reasons to not use HPS during vegging other than power usage. If your grow store person does not know this, I don't think I would be for taking their advise.

lol i love when people say they talked the guy who owns the grow store. technically you are right you can grow with a candle, why not give that a shot? when we are growing indoors the goal is to create an ideal world for your cannabis to flourish in and give you all the magical goodness she can possibly muster. but that wont happen when you hinder the process.

I really should apologise and say thanks for ALL your advice and helpful tips. I'm only a beginner so everything I'm reading I am taking in. I guess I got sucked into the store mans ability to sound like he knows what he's talking about. The more I've researched the more I can see what yous are talking about. I will definitely be purchasing some new gardening equipment when I get the chance.
Again Thank yous all!

As for the clone I was given... It's been 8 days and she looks quite sick. I assumed transplant shock and would have thought she'd be back on track by now. Her leaves have gone lime green and wilting... Maybe I'm over watering. I've tried to fined watering schedules for my kind of system but nothing.

View attachment image.jpg

Also I have spoken to store owner at the hydro shop, he tells me it's fine to use HPS throughout the entire grow, just uses more power. I'm going to stick with the HPS and see What happens, so far so good.

Depending on your ballast, you can probably stick a Metal Halide bulb in there and save your HPS bulb for flower.

also you dont need to use all that power for veg. i used cfl's for a long time very inexpensive to buy and run and they have the perfect spectrum for vegging plants might spend 100 on 10 bulbs and plugs enough to veg 10 plants easy

Your seed baby looks great and the clone is not looking that bad. Don't give up on it.

First, tell us what kind of ballast you have. If it is digital or convertible, you may just be able to use a metal halide bulb in the ballast you have (did your grow store person inquire about the type ballast you have?). Otherwise, I would save for a T5 fluoro light. While CFLs will work, they are actually costier and run hotter than other forms of lighting. If you are buying something specifically for vegging, I say go with a T5 fluoro tube fixture.

That looks like its a magnetic ballast. Does it have any switches on it? you are looking for HPS/MH switch (if it has one). Does that Lucagrow bulb say on the side of the box if it is a MH or HPS? It looks like both bulbs are HPS as the MH are usually fatter and rounder.

no its a straight hps ballast, there is no option for mh on that. I suggest either getting a t5 if there is a local hydro store, or if not get yourself some cfl daylights

Yeah checked ballast... Defly no switch. I will have to talk to hydroponic shop when I'm there next.

Latest posts

Back