Thinking about buying this BHO Extractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I packed the tube last night and put it in the freezer. I used lower branch buds and some skiff, cut up with scissors and lightly packed. It fit almost 1/2 oz.

If it doesn't rain today I will do this later on and let you know how it works. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

One last question.... how do you smoke this?

In the "old days" when we called this hash oil, we used a small glass pipe with a bubble in it and heated the oil in the bubble. Do I need to make another trip to the local head shop? I could just drip some on some pot but you loose a lot of the taste that way. I would like to taste it pure and clean. Maybe just hot knife a drop or 2. I'm open to suggestions on this one. ;)

Thanks again

I don't think so. I think they make 2 chambers. One is for dry herb and one is for wax. I have the dry herb model.

At least that's the way I remember it. I'll check it out to make sure.

Thanks for the tip, though

all the atmos vapes will work with oil... most are terrible for herb...

Don't blow yourself up...

You're right, it was terrible for herb.

Mine does not have a chamber to put oil in. The only chamber I have is the dry herb chamber. All it is, is a chamber with a car cigarette lighter style element in the bottom. I don't think I want to put oil on that. It has a chamber for oil but I don't have one. Might have to make that trip to the head shop after all.

Here is one shown with the oil attachment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Atmos-R...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a3fe8d471

dude you put the oil right in the chamber with the coil in it... you dont need anything else.... Im well aware they make different attachments but none are needed... I have 3 different pens from atmos and they all work great for oil...

OK, one more question.

I hope to get to this tomorrow. It's either been raining or I have been busy. Tomorrow looks like a good day. I have a couple hours before dusk tonight but I don't know how long it will take.

About how long can I expect it to take for the butane to evaporate enough that I can bring the glass dish into the house, safely?

Disposable dab pens are garbage.

High times? are you kidding me? LMAO.

ANd if you are using plastic as a chamber to extract essential oils, terps, falvinoids, cbd's and cbn's with a hydrocarbon based solvent...

...youre doing it wrong. Stainless steel or go home.

Glass is good, but those extractors are NOTORIOUS from breaking under pressure.

Dont blow yourselves up.

(p.s. harbor freight vac pumps are garbage. Dont waste your money)

Finally got around to doing this. I just ran a can through it and the butane is outside with a piece of cheesecloth over it, evaporating.

Not sure how long it will take. It's about 80 already. It is in the shade, not the sun. It is not in a dish of warm water.

What do I do with the tube full of butane soaked pot? I don't even want to unscrew that clamp until the butane evaporates from it.

This entire affair reminds me of when we used to make pipe bombs when we were kids. LOL

I'll post back after the butane is gone.

Well, that was fast. It's almost all evaporated. I went out and scraped a little but it's not 100% evaporated so I am going to wait a few more minutes.

It doesn't look like it's going to yield much but I didn't use top buds so I didn't expect much. The color is a nice amber color. I did a little dab from what was left on the razor blade and it had a nice taste and the buzz definitely cut through.

I'll post some pics in a few.

Whomever said this was an efficient method of extraction sure must be doing it differently that I just did. LOL

Check out these shots of the pot after the butane wash. Am I actually expected to discard this? No way. Looks like there are plenty of trics left to me. Some areas got cleaned while others are still flush with trics.

I did wiggle the tube a little while I was doing it to try to get the butane as evenly distributed as possible. I used an entire 6 oz can on just 14 grams. I can't imagine how inefficient those giant tubes are with only one or 2 cans of butane for 100 grams of pot.

I had another taste and it is definitely good. I am blasted.

So, everyone agree that I should run another can of butane through this pot?

View attachment Still0024.jpg

View attachment Still0025.jpg

View attachment Still0026.jpg

View attachment Still0027.jpg

View attachment Still0028.jpg

I re-packed the tube and ran another can of butane through it. It's outside evaporating now.

Here is what I got from the first run. I have not weighed it but I don't think it will weigh even 1 gram.

So, $150 worth of weed. $10 in butane and I get 1 gram, maybe.

Do I remember someone complaining about paying $50 a gram for this? LOL Sounds like a deal to me. LOL

We'll see what the second run brings.

View attachment bho.jpg

If your tube is not packed with material your butane is not staying in the tube on the material long enough... my tube holds about 35g of material and if im running bud I will use 3 cans minimum... trim usually only 2 cans... my yield from bud is normally 4-6g... trim 2-3g...

How long did it take you to blast the can thru? less then a min?

Well, after some small experimenting, some out of pocket expense and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that BHO sux. LMAO

A. It is a nightmare to work with. This is the stickiest stuff I have ever seen in my 60+ years on this rock. LOL Sticks to everything but the pipe. It's pure therapy just to get it off the knife.

B. It is dangerous. There is no disputing that. Even following careful guidelines can still be, at best, dangerous.

C. It's a waste of pot. Well, OK, maybe not a total waste but I washed these buds twice and they are still covered with trics. Certainly not what I call 100% efficient.

D. It's expensive. Last night, my wife and I smoked almost the entire batch I made from a 1/2 oz. There is no way that the 2 of us could have smoked a 1/2 oz of this weed.

E. The taste is only fair. It really didn't seem to have much flavor at all. I tried it several ways. I tried hot knife. That didn't work well at all. I tried wiping some on a bud and smoking the bud. I guess that worked OK but the pot taste was mostly what I got. I wiped some on a piece of bubble hash and again, the taste of the hash overwhelmed the taste of the BHO. I just dabbed some in a regular pipe and that worked fair. Finally, I used the Atmos that you guys recommended and it worked quite well. Better than any other way. However, I got no taste at all with the Atmos.

F. The buzz is the same as the pot. I suppose that holds true with any extraction but I just did 2 hits of the BHO left over in the Atmos and I am no more stoned than if I had taken a few hits of the pot in my bong.

G. I don't care what kind of butane or how filtered it is, I still feel like I am smoking butane residue.

Overall, I would say that this experiment has further convinced me that water/ice hash is the way to go. It taste a thousand times better. Let's not even talk about safety comparisons between water and butane. It's cheaper. And, when I extract some more hash from this spent weed using my bubble bag and then inspect the weed under a scope, I believe it will show me that the water is even more efficient.

I know there are a lot of people out there who just love BHO but I must say, for my first experiment, I am not impressed.

If your tube is not packed with material your butane is not staying in the tube on the material long enough.

I wonder what your pot looks like under a 40X scope after you're done extracting. Do you discard your pot after extracting?

an iso bath in a dbl boiler setup works better, ime.

Oh, I know this was just a feeble attempt. And, I have not dismissed it entirely by any means.

Still, I did everything (mostly) right. The product was a decent amber color and good quality. I just don't think it's up to all the hype.

I have been watching the closed loop systems to see if they come down in price. I have considered building my own. I am still open minded on the subject. After hearing people talk about taking 2 dabs and being incoherent and blah blah blah. I have yet to smoke anything like that. At least in this century.

I guess I need to take into account that I have only not smoked pot 11 days since July 4th 1968. Maybe it just takes more to get me stoned. LMAO Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Still, even with a totally perfect system, most of what I said is still true... Danger, cost, taste, efficiency, residue. Most of which will simply apply to this method regardless.

I suppose the taste could be better if I did it right. Still, the bubble hash tastes JUST like I remember hash tasting in the 60's LOL.

We shall see. I am not done beating this horse. LOL Like I always say, it's a hobby to me. I love most all the new concepts that have come up this century.

Latest posts

Back