New to growing, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepguy5211

Reaction score
I am completely new to growing cannabis. I have a green thumb with regular plants though. I have two plants that are 31 days old. They have been on a 24hr light schedule, both in 5 gallon fabric pots, I used fox farms ocean blend with extra perlite for proper drainage, and Im also using the fox farm nutrients. I have recently noticed that the new growth on the bigger plant is a brighter green with yellow around the edges and the smaller plant isn't growing as bushy or fast as the other one. They are both Blue Dream but have the leaf structure of an indica plant.

I am attaching pictures. I am on a feeding schedule of Water. Nothing, nutrients, nothing, water, nothing, nutrients, etc. I am flushing with sledgehammer once every two weeks as well.

Please help!!

Thank you

PS The last picture is the smaller of the two plants and the rest are of the bigger plant

View attachment IMG_5100.jpg

View attachment IMG_5101.jpg

View attachment IMG_5103.jpg

View attachment IMG_5104.jpg

View attachment IMG_5105.jpg

Well quit flushing for one thing please. Fox farm ocean forest has enough nutes in it for 6 weeks so I wouldn't be feeding yet. Are you organic with your ff nutes? If you are all organic you don't need to flush.
I am not sure what the problem is, but others will be by to help you out.

Welcome to MP, we are glad you are here. Are these clones?

It could well be that that flushing has washed out any nutes in the soil prematurely. It sure looks to me like some kind of deficiency. I personally would be for giving them a light dose of nutes. I think the only FF nute that is organic is Big Bud, but regardless you do not need to flush during growing unless you have some kind of problems. There is debate as to you really need to flush at all.

Stop flushing them and start feeding them. I am with THG, you flushed the nutrients right out of your soil and now you seem to have the beginnings of a deficiency of some sort. I know some people still flush but honestly it's not needed unless you have salt build up. I use General hydroponics 3 part and have never ever flushed and I feed heavy and grow in One Gallon pots. I don't grow Organic so I have a pretty simple rules. PH EVERYTHING to 6.5 (Both water and Nutrients) and calibrate my PH meter every 2 weeks. I don't use a feeding schedule, I feed by eye. I keep a close watch on new growth to help tell me when to feed. jmo

I have to agree with the above peeps' answers here. I have not used the FF soil or nutes but it is my understanding that the FF nutes have a lot of salt in them that causes toxic build-up over time, which is why people recommend that you flush when using it. However, you are not feeding a lot but are flushing a lot, and that is stripping out everything that was in the soil and what you have been putting into the soil. That is giving you what appears to be the beginnings of a nitrogen and possibly Magnesium and/or Manganese deficiency.

I would recommend that you feed, water, water, feed, water, water, etc. and only flush your soil at about halfway through the life of the plants (usually about the 3rd week of flower for 9week flowering plants). You may not need to flush anymore with these until about the 6th week of flower (and even then I would only flush them if they begin to show some toxicity from buildup).

At this point I would say to feed them and maybe add a little Dolomite lime to the top of the soil to give them some magnesium and buffer the pH a little.

Thank you for all the advice. Again I am very new to this. Should I continue to use the FF nutrients or switch to another type. I was mainly getting my information from YouTube from others who used FF products... I fed them tonight which grow big and big bloom.

Also. Do y'all have any advice on a LED light to get? My local hydroponics store told me to look at Top LED grow lights but I'm cautious because of the prices.

Thank you again! I've taken all y'all's advice and will start taking better care of the plants.

You can use what nutes you have, they will be fine.

I have two of these LED's but I have only had them a couple of months, so far so good, but don't feel like i can recommend them really yet. They could quit tomorrow, but for the price I felt like taking a chance and so far I am very happy. Here is the link. http://www.topledgrowlight.com/reflector-led-grow-light-144x3w.html#.U8_AC_ldXK0

Alright, thank you! I saw your feed on these lights after I posted my question about LED's. I understand that you can't recommend them but from what everyone has said about them...thats enough for me. My only concern is my current grow tent is the exact length of that light. I don't want to get the smaller version just because I will be getting a bigger tent when I have the space for it.

What do you think? Im sure it will fit since the tent does give here and there.

I would get the biggest one you can afford that will fit. The company I believe stated that one of these would cover the same as a 1K light. I might be wrong about that, anyway, i didn't believe them and got two. But I am running 7 big girls in there. Look at the reviews and see what you think. My LED's run 4 degrees hotter then the ambient temps. My hps ran 14 degrees hotter. Those ten degrees meant life or death to my plants last week.
Good luck... and have fun.. LED's are fun!

I ended up buying the 192x3w yesterday and should be shipped out on Monday. Will probably end up buying another one if I like it as much as everyone else seems too and when I get a bigger tent.

Update on the plants. I've been taking better care of them and they are doing great. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I'm extending the vegging stage as long as I can. I'm in no hurry. Here are some pictures.

Few days ago
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406998348.308648.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406998370.766027.jpg
Yesterday
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406998401.157637.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406998411.483131.jpg

I honestly can't wait until I get the LEDs up and running! Also ordered some CO2 mushroom bags.

Also what is beneficial of adding lady bugs and a praying mantis with your plants?

Your plants are looking nice. Most people use the beneficials to eat bad insects like spider mites and such. Some people uses them in outside grows. I don't think adult lady bugs are good inside. They die easily. The lady bug larva is what eats aphids ferociously.

Thank you! And so far I've only had gnats and took care of that as quickly as possible. So if anything else happens to pop up...I'll keep that in mind

CO2 is just throwing money out the window in a tent... I would try and get your money back and use it for anything else...

What kind of light is that? It is so purple? Hope the mango's do well! Oh and your pot too.

Thank you! I had both flowering and growth lights on together. And it's probably the camera on my phone.

Latest posts

Back