Made a compost bin today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wouldn't cover it unless it really rains hard where you live.

Mine has an odor today. I will pour this out and start a new one in the morning. I think Mr rb wants his bucket back, i will get another one. I think I will pour it in my active compost. Didn't think of where to pour it. It is very strong and I would think burn..we will see.

Hey Burner, a little tip for your compost bin. Put a roof on it, so when it rains all your good nutrients don't get leeched out into the soil when it rains. This will keep your teas and compost richer, so you can use it longer and make it stretch.

Thanks drifting...I have a bunch of thick tarp laying around I think I am going to make an angled roof on it

burner, if you have a bagger mower, use it to run over your leave matter to mulch it, and break it down as far as you can. the smaller the start up material, the faster the break down time.;)

i always have compost piles that do not break down completely before winter, and i just let it snow on those, then spread it out in spring, and use it in new starter heaps in spring.;)

i also use wood ash at the rate of one spade shovel full to one basic size wheelbarrel of material. bio char is also a great additive i've read, and used it this summer, so nothing to report on it yet. bio char is basically black char from burnt wood, that did not actually fully catch fire, but was heat cured til the wood turned to char. i am reading up on making a 'cooker' that is used just for the purpose of making bio-char. pretty cool stuff if it can grow better smokie treats.:D

peace...

Cool info on the wood ash. I have a wood stove and thats all the source of heat i have for the winter. I could deff. save some bio-char!! Rep for you sir!

Wood Ash by itself is also an excellent source of potassium and adds a small amount of phosporous also.

Never tried charred wood. Wonder how long it would take to break down?

Can wood ash be dissolved in water and applied like a tea?

drfting07 said:
Can wood ash be dissolved in water and applied like a tea?

Good question. Never tried it, though I have top fed and drenched. so pretty similar. Suppose it would work.

Latest posts

Back