Any one can suggest a led light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used both the T5 and the LEDs this grow. Part of this regime was because I got lazy. They were kept in Solo cups for too long (and suffered for it). I started them under the T5s in solo cups and had them under the T5s for about 3 weeks, then transplanted them and moved them into the tent under one LED. Sometime before I switched to flowering (a week ago), I added the second LED. I have a 2' 12 tube T5 that has become my favorite T5. I doubt that I will ever quit using it. Even with the LEDs, I see myself starting the plants under the T5.

Also if your 3 x 5 tent is actually only 30 x 58, then it isn't 15 sq ft and it isn't just a sq ft smaller than the 4 x 4. The area of a tent that is 30 x 58 is just 12 sq ft--so it is 4 sq ft or 25% smaller. I am thinking that you use the #3 pots because of the way they fit into your 4 x 4 tent--you must have pots actually touching one another. In a 30 x 58 tent, using the same pots, you will have room between the plants and the walls of the tent--space not taken up by plants. Most of how many plants you can get into a given space is dependent on the size and shape of the pots. I have some 3 gallons plastic pots that have a footprint of a bit under 7 x 7, I have some 3 gallon smart pots that have a footprint of a little over 9 x 9--same amount of medium, but quite a difference if I am filling a tent. I find the smart pots also spread out a bit larger than the stated footprint of the pot. And they all have some kind of container that acts as a drip tray (I am partial to dollar store plastic dishpans). Also, as a side note, remember that more plants does not necessarily mean more bud. I had 14 plants in my 4 x 4--8 of them were reg seeds and unsexed. I have pulled out 3 males so far and feel way better about the tent with fewer plants in it. However if you want to absolutely fill the 30 x 58 tent, you might look for pots with a footprint that fits well into a 30 x 58" space. Three gallon pots come in all shapes and sizes.

I usually use #1 pots in the 3x5 and when I move them to the 4x4, I transplant them into #3 pots so it has worked out all along. I just felt 4x4 to 4x4 seemed logical.

I know I have way too much going on right now for a state that's not legal. I am way past the federal minimums. I plan to sell one or 2 tents and scale down. Just wondering what I want to sell and what I want to keep.

Still didn't answer.... how are LEDs for vegging?

I have been reading about LED vs T5 for vegging and OMG!!!!! Everyone has their opinion and (as always) if you don't agree, you're an asshat. LMAO Wow, tough topic. LOL

Anyway, it seems there's good and bad on both sides, as always, but I wanted to explore some things I read. I was going to start a new thread but it seemed to fit in here.

LED for seedlings and clones....

Most posts were in favor of T5 for seedlings and clones. Primarily, the ability to switch some bulbs off and on to control the light output. OK, I'm with that but couldn't you dim an LED low enough for clones and seedlings?

Bulb replacement...

Wow, T5's are pretty expensive and they don't seem to last real long. LEDs last forever (well, OK just the rest of my life. LOL) So, get the best of both worlds.. they have LED conversion bulbs for T5's. 1000 bulbs sells them. Pretty expensive but if they last forever.... cool, I don't mind paying the premium. Not sure if they work in the basic Hydrofarm T5 ballast setup.

I'm so confused. LOL

Heat, light, size, cost, watts, photons, neutrons, green light, red light, blue light...... I'm starting to hear the Twilight Zone theme in my head.

I love my T5.

Maybe because it's new but I don't like LED so far. I guess I just don't like that blurple color. It seems to fill the entire room and makes everything all different looking. Even my nute container labels look different and spooky. I'm hearing Twilight Zone again. LOL

I need to look into the white (looking) LED's if I'm going to go that route. Is there a name for the ones that don't look blurple?

Hackerman, i start seedlings under an led. When they are a couple weeks old i turn on the big Lush sucker LED.. no burn just happy. I never move it the whole grow. Love my lush light.

@Rosie. I didn't think it should be a problem. As long as you can turn it down, I don't see why there should be a problem with LEDs for clones/seedlings.

OK, over that one.

@2RE, I'm not sure if I'm going to make my own or buy one outright. I am pretty good with an iron so I'm sure it's within my scope. I like the idea that I can make it custom sized to my room. I do have an odd sized flowering room.

Hey, HG, I remember you said you use a 2' T5. Would that be good for vegging in a 4x4 tent?

I'm still so confused but at least the Twilight Zone music has stopped. LOL

I think it might not be quite enough for a 4 x 4 tent. I bought it for a 32 x 32 tent and it worked great in there. It is a 12 bulb (30,000 lumen) unit and there are 3 switches so you can run 4, 8 or 12 bulbs.

Cool, thanks.

Do you measure LEDs in LUX and Lumens like our HID lights?

I notice my Raspberry Pi is recording about a 40% reduction in LUX from T5 to LED.

The funny thing is, the overall LUX was reduced from almost 12k to about 7k but the infrared actually went up from about 1300 to about 1500.

No you don't measure leds in lumens or lux. They are measured in PAR, PPF, and PPFD.
PAR is photo synthetically active radiation and is actually a range of wavelengths from 400nm to 700nm. PPF is photosynthetic photon flux, the number of photons a light source emits per second in the PAR range. PPFD is photosynthetic photon flux density and typically is measured in regards to surface area. Micromoles per square meter per second. This is the closet measurement to lux or foot candles.

Cool, thanks.

I did a quick search and, fortunately, RPi already has sensors out and available for this. They even had one called the "ParDuino" for the Aruino. LOL

Thanks bud.

What's up with the white (looking) LED grow lights? Are those called something special? Looking for search terms to send me the right direction. Thanks

The strips are really really getting popular.

Thanks for the links.

Been doing s little reading. Sure seems like people hate white LEDs....

https://platinumgrowlights.com/2016/09/25/are-white-leds-used-in-led-grow-lights-better-for-growing/

http://www.ledgrowlightshq.co.uk/white-leds/

https://www.blackdogled.com/faq_white-led

There are a million others. Am I misunderstanding something. I really don't like Blurple and it will probably stop me from converting entirely to LED. At least for now.

I was under the impression that "full spectrum" and "wide spectrum" and all that was good. Seems it's great for human eyes but not for plants????

That's why PAR is a better measurement with leds, it actually measures the light that the plants respond to. So that it's not about absolute maximum of light, but more about the usable light. The white leds are coming on their own. The spydrx is making many true believers in the white light leds.

I noticed that many of the poo poo's about white LEDs are coming from grow light manufacturers. Maybe just marketing poo poo since they make blurple and their competitors make white.

It's so difficult to know what and whom to believe these days. Money money money. It's always about who can steal the most money. Sad.

I really don't think I'll go LED if I have to deal with Blurple. I often sit with my plants for hours at a time and these blurple lights are not real pleasant to the eye.

But, if the white LEDs are not even as good as the HID that I have..... blah blah. So much talk. So little truth. It's the reason why I have to do so many things for myself before I know for sure. It's not that I don't believe people, it's just that everyone lies. LMAO

I really don't think I'll go LED if I have to deal with Blurple. I often sit with my plants for hours at a time and these blurple lights are not real pleasant to the eye.

I know whatcha mean, I like hanging with my plants too. I tried one cheap blurple light and hated it. Used it for part of a single grow and now it sits on a shelf...

I know whatcha mean, I like hanging with my plants too. I tried one cheap blurple light and hated it. Used it for part of a single grow and now it sits on a shelf...

I turn my exhaust fan off when I putter in there (or read, lousy for naps :-(
I watched a video once where the guy had a co2 metre and the thing skyrocketed when he was in there.
and I'm always ranting and raving in there too, blasting them with co2 like a drill sergeant. Get the lead out ya lazy bastids GROW DAMMIT!
It should be helping, must be like spoon-feeding a baby.

Latest posts

Back