coolguy's journal 5/08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolGuy

Reaction score
ok last time i was met with many issues and non stop battles with bugs. this time im clean and ready to be green!

i germinated around the 11th and now a week and a half later i have some very nice results for what i have seen in the past. im using the same light setup as before however i made it so my floro's are much closer. when my plants get taller i have another floro in the waiting so i will have a total of 4 20w grow lights. and if needed a 17w grow cfl. the brand of the 20w floros is the same as the cfl. they seem to work well with my other plants in my house.

this is after a week and a half of planting the split seed.

DSC00626.JPG

DSC00627.JPG

DSC00628.JPG

DSC00629.JPG

Hey look at those little ones!!!! what soil mix are you useing? Good luck I will pull up my milk crate for this for sure..Keep it GREEN

4u2smoke said:
what soil mix are you useing?

it was organic at one time then i did my first grow with it. i ran into nothing but problems with bugs being the biggest issue. gnats

after i harvested what i could from it i let it dry out and i every once in a while would stir it up and make sure it was complealty dry. then after a few months i added water and made sure no gnats survived. after no signs of bugs i started this new grow.
the fert im using is 4-6-6 and im using it sparingly. just a pinch when i planted. there may be some left from the last grow mix already in the soil. ill do another pinch in a week or two.

I'd switch soils just out of preference, although your plants will probably flourish in that soil as long as you keep it moist. I'd wet the entirety of the pot to ensure no dry packets in the soil. I wonder if there are any available nutrients for the plants left in that soil... If there isn't, you will notice deficiencies, keep an eye out for that. It is good that you are feeding them that small dose fert, they probably thanked you already a hundred times for the feedings!

Interesting grow lamp as well. How many lumens? I'm guessing it is supposed to provide a nice spectrum for the plants... Interesting indeed. Grow looks nice!

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Interesting grow lamp as well. How many lumens? I'm guessing it is supposed to provide a nice spectrum for the plants... Interesting indeed. Grow looks nice!

im not sure on the lumens....

the lights i have are x4
http://www.ottlite.com/Controls/ProductDetail/ItemDetail_540.aspx?Itm=OLT2012P

and x1
http://www.ottlite.com/cms/ShowItemDetail.aspx?Itm=ELS17P

nether says what the lumens are. but they do work...just how well on my "hope to be girls" ill find out soon.

i have a bunch of those t12 24" tubes as well... i used them on my first grow and while they had pretty decent growth when i got my hps i noticed a huge difference. with my hps all the nodes are so closely packed its awesome. i would definetly say to upgrade the light to something a little better whether its hid's or cfls or something. i just wanted to offer my experience with those lights and maybe help you out :D

any advice is appreciated.

this morning i checked on my babys and one was touching the light so i added the second light fixture and removed what i had the pots sitting on.

btw, what does it mean when the leafs point up tward the lights on a angle? to much light...not enough, nut deficiency?

one thing though... what is better a light with the correct spectrum or more lumens? currenty i have 80w on two plants less then an inch away from the bulbs.

if only i knew how much of the lumens i had i would better idea how much im lacking or not.

Its all about lumen's... If you want some cheap veg lights go to walmart and pick up a couple 4' shop light balice's they are like $8 a piece and lok at ther bulbs they come in packs of 2 just look at the lumen's and pick the ones with the highest...

goodluck cool guy ,,,,a 20watt cfl can give out 1152 lumens each i use 9 of them in a vegging area of 21"x18x20 inches
and they grow like crazy havnt tried flowering under them yet using hps for that :peace:

i was reading other's journals and some are talking about having their lights on 24/7. currently im running 18/6. would i induce to much stress if i go to 24h or is their no real benefit to changing to 24/7 light?

ok, 4 days after last picture post and i see a big differance in size and smell.

funny the one with the leafs pointed out and not up smells strong of that good old american pie i mean bud. :p the one with the leafs pointed up is a little bigger but no smell. i also switch last night or the night before to 24hour light. really cool thing is both are working on their 5th node already. not including that first set of leafs.
whatcha think?

DSC00636.JPG

DSC00637.JPG

DSC00638.JPG

running into some issue with heat..even with my floros. but i got it figured out for the time.

DSC00646.JPG

DSC00647.JPG

my baby's are looking fine as hell.:hubba: atleast by my standards.:rolleyes:

DSC00648.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

looks like that little guy i have doesnt like the heat to much... i keep it far from the light and keep it watered and it just isnt enough. the other two are doing good. the one of the right exploded. anyone know how much longer till it was be a good idea to start taking clone samples.

DSC00651.JPG

Wow, your plants look excellent! I'd say another week and you could take some pretty decent clones. It looks like you could take some now but they seem to be kinda small at the moment. Things are looking green! Gj.

Latest posts

Back