Slot's first grow. Cheap STEALTH closet setup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slot

Reaction score
After walking into a worm’s way and seeing how amazing indoor horticulture is...I had to try. This is my first growing experience. I am unsure if my setup will actually work, because the stealth of the project is more critical than it being successful.

I am growing in a 45 gallon Tupperware box that has snap up seals on the sides (Mother gave it to me to organize my computer equipment). After finding other places for equipment to create the appearance of having put stuff in the box, I lined the box with aluminum foil to the point that it is lightproof, attached two white fluorescent tube lights on the upper sidings, and combined the cords so the only thing leaving the box is a small plug from a hole in the bottom corner. I placed the entire box in my closet and stacked some stuff on top and around it. I have a small fan behind my clothes plugged in ready to go for when I open the box to renew the air daily.

I germinated some seeds from a mid-grade ounce I bought a few months ago in a wet paper towel which I wrapped in aluminum foil and placed on top of an external hard drive I have running all the time. To my surprise it only took about 18 hours. I placed them 1/2 inch deep in small pots with 10-10-10 potting soil then watered them lightly to make the soil damp. I put the pots in my new setup and left the top open with the fan blowing on it while I came up with a solution to the co2 issue.

I have decided to use the brewery method, sodium bicarbonate in vinegar when I water them, and spraying seltzer water every third feed. In two 20oz bottles with pinholes in the cap I mixed a pack of dry yeast, sugar, and water. Sure enough...it’s bubbling. Also, to supplement more c02...I am going to drop some sodium bicarbonate in vinegar right before I seal it after watering. Hopefully the two methods together will create enough co2 for me to keep it sealed for periods of up to 24 hours or more if needed (Suggestions welcome). When I open the box to feed, I will check my brew and let the fan refresh my air for as long as available.

--Total supplies and cost TO ME-- (free = already had it)
Seeds: Had them.
Two florescent white tube lights: $30
Extension cord: $4
Soil: $5
Pots: free
45 gallon Tupperware: free
Tin foil: free
Yeast: 30 cents
20 oz bottles: free
Baking soda: free
Vinegar: free
Sugar: free
Seltzer water: Don't know...haven’t needed it yet.

Here are some pictures of my setup...PLEASE COMMENT so I may make adjustments accordingly before they begin growing...or dying (haha). Remember stealth is the most important factor, and I am looking for a successful grow, not the prettiest (although, I wouldn't mind).

~ slot

supplies.JPG

yeast.JPG

germinating.JPG

Firsttest.jpg

Fan.JPG

Whatgrowroom?.JPG

inthebox.JPG

airing it out.JPG

Wow, I can't believe it...I am actually growing something in one of the pots. I really didn't expect it to work honestly. The box has been sealed for only 24 hours with the brew mixture going and I have a baby. =]

its alive.JPG

Very nice and hidden..but what are you going to do when they get bigger?What's the height of the box?

Whats up slot. That's a nice little stealth set up you got. You should really think about putting 1 or 2 computer fans in there for fresh air. Just a thought. You need something blowing fresh air in and sucking the bad air out. I know you have a fan blowing on them when the top is off but they need fresh air all the time or they will not grow right IMHO. Much GREEN MOJO coming your way.

GreenMojo.JPG

yeah man i agree, 2 things will happen, they will pretty much stop growing cuz of the stale air. or it will totally over heat in there and everything will die... lol

They are growing quickly it seems. Maybe since they are still small, the sealed box is able to maintain them for periods of 12 hours or so still. I am artificially making co2 in the box with two brew bottles and one sodium bicarb drop at feed, so they are constantly getting new air. I guess the issue, from what everyone is saying, will be getting the oxygen out. I try and open it at least 3 or 4 times a day now. Yea, the computer fan idea isn't a bad idea. I am going to try and grow them like this until the air becomes an issue and they stop showing progress, I have plenty of fans available...so it won't be a problem rigging one up quickly. Haha I can't stop checking on them.... it’s sad. The temperature in the box even when sealed for 12 hours is consistent...so no heating issues yet. The box appears to be approximately 3 feet tall; I will get the true dimensions later on today.

Well here is the update:

Day 2: Five more plants have popped out of the ground, and are all an inch tall with 4 little leaves. The one that I took a picture of yesterday morning right after it popped up is now 2 inches tall. I don't know if that is normal.... but it seems fast to me. I still have 3 plants that have not come up yet, but I germinated them a day later.
After reading up, I think I might have over watered a little.... so I am going to hold off on watering them again until the soil dries up a little more. Thanks for the advice everyone...I can never get enough. Hell, with a little luck.... my first grow might just be successful. =]

(Will post pictures as soon as I get back from Toys-r-us, got a tip on a Wii shipment.)

i would relly thing about geting rid of the tin foil dosent reflect light at all works better with heat.go with mylar:cool: thats what works best imo

Nice grow man! Im saying if your going to just wait to see it they die before adding in the fans, just add them in now because they deffinately will die LOL!

If you want them to grow small, only veg for a little while untill a little smaller than desired height, throw them light from 18/6 to 12/12 and watch em flower. They will stay small enough to fit inside the box if you do that.

Nice start. When you put the fan in you are going to have to do something for odor control or you won't be very stealthy for long. I would recommend rigging some type of home made carbon filter on the intake of your exhaust fan. Activated carbon for a fish tank loosely packed into a small box or something should do the trick. Their are a couple threads in the grow Room Setup and Design Forum that may help http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16 search carbon filter and odor control. Good luck to you.

Interesting stealth grow.

What are the temperature readings inside your box?
Height will be an issue sometime in the future. You should think about topping or just using the box to start and veg for a short time before going elsewhere. You could always opt for each plant to be a cola instead of having multiple branches. All you gotta do is flower the girl early.

From the looks of it, everything is super-stealthy!

If I'm wrong someone please correct me but dosen't tin foil burn your plants? I read somewhere that tin foil wasnt good to use because of this. Something about its reflection of heat and how the lights bounce off it and pin points the light on your plants without spreading it evenly like mylar does. I've seen this before on here and was just wondering the pro's & con's.
Feedbackl on this please!!!!!! Peace and Love!!!!!!!
Roken.

goodluck with the babies and definatley get them in take and outtake fans installed asap ,,,i nearly killed my babies with heat issues :peace:

Roken said:
If I'm wrong someone please correct me but dosen't tin foil burn your plants? I read somewhere that tin foil wasnt good to use because of this. Something about its reflection of heat and how the lights bounce off it and pin points the light on your plants without spreading it evenly like mylar does. I've seen this before on here and was just wondering the pro's & con's.
Feedbackl on this please!!!!!! Peace and Love!!!!!!!
Roken.

I agree tin foil is not the best but Its not going to burn his plants with just floro bulbs.

Just use flat white paint, cheap works very well.

:hubba:LOL!!! LMAO!!!!:rofl:

I just looked at the date for the last posting from SLOT!:rofl:

You can tell no one was feeling any pain last night!:bong1: :yay:

Rogue said:
:hubba:LOL!!! LMAO!!!!:rofl:

I just looked at the date for the last posting from SLOT!:rofl:

You can tell no one was feeling any pain last night!:bong1: :yay:
AHAHAHA OMG I WAS SO STONED wow I feel so dumb helping sparking this thread I just wanted to help the fellow out you know?

Latest posts

Back