Let's help each other's Electric bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah TVs left on standby also use heaps of power.if you have doggies let them sleep at the end of the bed during winter,great heat.dry clothes on the line its not that hard to walk outside and put on a few pegs.with regards to saving on the growing setup,last grow i had heaters and oscilating fans but this time im only using the light,i cut out using the heater during the dark period by filling the base of my grow area with stones,so while the light is on it heats up the stones and when its off the stones slowly release their heat back into the grow area,simple but affective,and just bend the plants stem a few times a day saves on having to use a fan,small effort big difference,peace.

use an economic appliance rater meter thing, it allows you to check the effeciency of each appliance-

or just use an entire solar setup for your house, can it be done? I bet if people put their minds to it!:hubba:

I think using a toaster oven is a huge money saver. I also like to hang dry my clothes, but thats odvious. I eat cold food. Solar cooking is also awesome. Just google or youtube SOLAR COOKING. It's just simply amazing. Turning off lights year round saves electric yes, but in the summer it saves heat. When living in the southwest where it gets cool at night at hot during the day and its dry, I will open my windows at night, put a fan in them, and close them during the day to trap the cold air.
Also I know someone that had one of those obnoxious widescreen hdtv's. You know the ones where they cost thousands, and they sit there like zombies for a few hours a day watching crap. Well I walked by one of them and a foot away I could feel the heat coming off of it. We all know that if something gives off heat, that is wasted electricity. Think of a light bulb, some of the energy is always wasted in heat - it requires energy to produce heat - always remember this, my father is an electrician. good luck all!

Yo Ho friends,
I just got my electric bill that included my solid month of growbox running full steam. With all the stuff that I went around and turned off, that included pre-warmers, chargers, computers, appliances that have clocks, and also changing the lights. My bill compared to last year at the same time is six dollars higher, that's it. My grow closet has a large oil filled heater in it, a fan, timers, and three 48" CFL fixtures each holding two 40 watt gro tubes. The lights don't draw all that much, but that heater does, and all together it does add up. So with a little work around the OL' Homestead the electric bill v/s the growbox is a wash. Ha-Ha love it.
Now for that 400watt hps, I will have to come up with some more shaved corners. Keeping in mind that sudden large electrical changes draws attention, just need to keep the transitions smooth.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

It is possible to make your electric meter run backwards using solar power. I'm no electrician, but i seen it on youtube.

In Cali you can have solar and it cuts your bill or even zeros it out if you produce enough energy however the best thing to do is just cut yourself off from Pigs, Goats and Elephants (PG&E freaking Price gougers and extortionists) but in Cali you cant do that you must be connected even if you live out in the BFE if ya know what i mean.

Well seems like everybody got a anwser for there elcet bill on how to cut the wattage down just so I can help.. Hehe
What more important?
Weed or beer!
Weed or Gas!
Wedd or snacks!!
weed or freezers!
weed or Refirg!
Weed or that prime rib!!
Weed or Stay Kool!
Sure sounds like alot of weed is being consume through there elect bill LOL But must love the weed we grow and so the cost of that grow we each have is always going to concume the elect. as those things I mention Those r a must for some and to find a way to cut down elect bill is the only thing a person can do is cut back on what we have on !!
Gotta go back to those cave land day and just keep the lights on for the grow and refrig and put a/c in grow room and buy a POOL to stay KOOL!!

If someone posted this idea and I missed it sorry for the repeat. I was reading fast...

Depending on the size of your home, and type of heat used, forced air fan coil unit, fan motors are often a variable speed. 2 or sometimes 3 settings. Often depending on the cuft of the space it's supposed to heat, the fan will be set on a speed that is unnecessaryily high. It's often as easy as walking over to your thermostat, and switching the setting to low, but sometimes you have to go looking for it on the unit itself.

Also, I know there has been alot of mention on the electricity part, but covering windows with plastic, and making sure door jamb weather seals are in tact are INCREDIBLE loss areas. Weather seals and windows are easy to check with a candle (or with a fat doobie). If it flickers, fix-er.

Also, chimney flus go overlooked, and will drain your house faster than you would think. Think path of least resistance.

One last one...after you get done cooking that killer frozen pizza for your munchies, turn off the oven, and leave it open to vent out the warm air.

another way would be to replace all of the lighting in your house with LED's as LEDs require less energy, however they arnt as bright so i dont know if the energy that is required for enough LEDs to light up a house would be enough to offset the cost of regular lightbulbs or CFLs.

dry your clothes on the line. turn off dry cycle on dishwasher, or hand wash them. be religious about turning off lights, tvs, etc, while not in room or viewing. listen to ipod rather than stereo. (highly recommended)! do the majority of your cooking outside, when weather permits. heat with wood. use candles instead of lights. sit outside and smoke yur bud!

nightnurse said:
dry your clothes on the line. turn off dry cycle on dishwasher, or hand wash them. be religious about turning off lights, tvs, etc, while not in room or viewing. listen to ipod rather than stereo. (highly recommended)! do the majority of your cooking outside, when weather permits. heat with wood. use candles instead of lights. sit outside and smoke yur bud!
i`ve looked for the button on my girlfriend but i can`t find it,lol

shuggy4105 said:
i`ve looked for the button on my girlfriend but i can`t find it,lol

Ummmm... Shuggy.... you don't really need to be told where it is, do you? ? ? ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

put the sleep timer on the tv, get a blanket instead of turning the heater all the way up.......both things i need to work on :)

That crazy vancouver guy said:
Ummmm... Shuggy.... you don't really need to be told where it is, do you? ? ? ;)

:rofl: :rofl:
LMAO, posting without thinking again,lol.
i`ll re-phrase, i cant find the other button.....:fid: she may tell ya different though!:p

I was surprised to find out just how much a draw leaving a computer on 24/7 is. Apparently you can reduce your electric bill by 15% just by turning your computer off when you aren't using it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am definitely going to be implementing some of them in my home.

thanx for all the good ideas.. :) if i run by something ill be sure to post it.

Latest posts

Back