Male or Female? Anyone care to guess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I am trying something new (for me). A multi strain grow.

I have 3 that are fem seeds (World of Seeds Landrace Afghan Kush, Barney's Farm Critical Kush and G-13 Labs Cinderella 99).

I have 3 that are not fem'd seeds (Mandella Seeds Satori, Hazeman Triple XXX and Hazeman White x Grape Stomper [OMG, where DO they get these names. LOL]) so I cut a clipping from each of them about 2 weeks ago. Anyone care to guess?

The Satori source is showing strong pre-flower signs so I'm pretty sure about that one. And, the Grape Stomper source is also showing some signs of pre-flower. Nothing on the xxx yet.

Thanks

View attachment sexingclones-2.jpg

View attachment sexingclones-3.jpg

View attachment sexingclones-4.jpg

View attachment sexingclones-1.jpg

My guess is the satori is male and so is the white stomper.. A little soon for the xxx, no alternating nodes. Hope i am wrong hackerman.the boys are always on a little stick and females are flat.

I dont see any sex on those.

too close to call at this point. I would give them another week before making any decisions.

Well, here we are almost 2 weeks later and the 2 Hazeman plants aren't even showing. The Satori is ready to give birth. LOL These Satori are incredibly hearty plants.

The first 2 pics are the Satori. At first glance I definitely said Male. However, as each of those pods open, a white hair comes out??? They sure looked like pollen sacs to me. Unless this turns out hermie, it sure is a butch looking female. LOL

The other 2 strains are barely showing.

All 3 donors are pre-flowering like crazy so I think I have 3 Females.

Albeit, they have not been 12/12 the entire time. There were a couple days when I was changing things over and these 3 clones spent that time under a 24/7 light. No doubt, that confused them. LOL

Anyway, I'll soon know as all the plants are under 12/12 now so I'll just have to watch for a Male or Hermie. Last shot is the donors.

View attachment sclone-1.jpg

View attachment sclone-2.jpg

View attachment sclone-3.jpg

View attachment sclone-4.jpg

View attachment sclone-5.jpg

View attachment sclone-6.jpg

View attachment sclone-8.jpg

Pics 1&2 are males. Pics 3&5 are fems. I can't tell on the other two.

The first 2 pics definitely look like they have hermed

That first pic is amazing. Those pods are all opening up into female buds with little white hairs coming out. ???? I would have sworn that was a male.

My last crop of Satori had very butch looking flowers. I thought I was going hermie on more than one occasion.

I'll take another pic later today and post it.

I agree with Hush... first 2 pics are herms... def both boy and girl parts... don't see any signs on the lower pics... :48:

That looks like a good looking male up there hackerman. going to do some pollen chucking?

Ding ding ding..... we have a winner. LOL Hushpuppy wins a free stuffed animal. Wait a minute, Hushpuppy IS a stuffed animal. LOL

Looks like that Satori is definitely a hermie. I kept it going because (even with those, seemingly obvious pictures in the first post), I still wasn't 100% sure it was a male. The last Satori I grew looked very "butch". There was more than one occasion where I almost pulled it thinking it was a male or hermie. In the end, it was all woman. LOL The bud pods were really round and looked a lot like pollen pods.

However, last night, I saw what looked suspiciously like nanners hanging off one of the buds. And, nanners almost always point down while flowers point up. These were pointing down. So, today's inspection will make the final decision. I have to do this thing before he/she opens up and spreads his seed.

I didn't want to make the decision until I was 100% sure since I have the donor and a handful of clones that will also have to go in the mulch bin.

Rosie, I would like to do some breeding but I don't know about using pollen from a hermie. I know you don't want to clone hermies but I don't know if breeding them is OK or not. I imagine that hermie gene does pass down. So, probably not this time. Although a Satori / Afghan mix might be nice.

I'll shoot one last updated pic today. Thanks for all the input.

This hermi is interesting in that it appears mostly male with a single female flower. Usually we see the females develop male flowers rather than the other way around. I have never seen a Satori herm. I have probably grown over a hundred Satori with never seeing any hermies. I do have to say however, I throw the males out before they get that developed. The 2 hermis look like they have some pods open...did they drop any pollen?

The first pod opened last night. I hope it didn't ruin my crop. I have a lot of air movement and one pollen sac can pollinate a whole field of plants. LOL Hopefully, I am OK

Here is an updated pic. Wow, what a difference in only one night.

I pulled the donor as well. It was showing female but it had those "male looking" starts to it so I pulled it and tossed the clones.

Thanks again for all the input.

View attachment male-1.jpg

View attachment male-2.jpg

hopefully ya yanked him in time... doesn't look like he started dumping pollen so ya may be good... if you get anymore showing male flowers like that put a plastic bag over them before you remove them so you wont shake pollen out over everything...

Latest posts

Back