Cure for Root Rot, Brown roots/slime in hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

Having issues uploading because size...see next post for canopy shot

c49320ef.jpg

Well my update is everything is going amazonian crazy in the garage!;) Stretch only seem to be effected by all the crap that happened in the first weeks of flower.

Whats really crazy is just a month ago, I was about to give it all up! But the tea saved my sanity! I have a fresh batch brewing every few days, I dont store it in the fridge, i just mix 3 gallons of it and add it to my GH3 part before I fill the buckets.

28f9c02a.jpg

I was topping off the buckets for a few days and the biggest baddest beast I have had to date suddenly stopped taking nutes and started its own water diet! WTH HAPPENED WITH THESE PLANTS?! :rofl:

It's doing ok now, luckily I was checking ppm. The ph was fine but the ppm went from 1100 to 1800 in 2 days!

I have since switched all to str8 ph water for a few days to get them back on track. Only a few more weeks, and besides the minor clawing on a few nugs from the skyrocketing ppm, everything seems to be going well.

Pic 3 shows the clawing on the 7 footer

322ae195.jpg

c63c5692.jpg

2e83dabe.jpg

Thanks!

Quick question...I found some gnats in one bucket, damn these bugs are getting crazy. I am marking my calender for next year to not be flowering at the beginning of our spring. This is just rediculous.

So anyways, CAN I USE AZAMAX WITH ONLY 2-3 weeks left? Anyone? I only use bug stuff in veg...

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. You can use the Azamax within 15 days but I wouldn't go any closer to harvest than that. I have found that the plants utilize and chelate the chemicals in the Azamax within about 10 days(as best I can figure from what I have read and experienced). I wouldn't go any closer to harvest than 15 days with it just to be sure that it is completely gone from the plant.

Killing those fungus gnats is a real PITA as they will get in the rez after the roots, but they will stay out of the water where the Azamax is. It will discourage them from chewing some but they seem to survive it. I have found fly tape works as good as anything(that isn't drastic).

I have heard that peppers work good for repelling bugs. Some on here have suggested boiling peppers to make a spray that can be applied harmlessly to the plants and will keep the bugs from getting on them. I also know that genuine pepper spray is made with the same chemical that is in the pepper oil. If you can get a liuttle pepper spray and spray the tops of the baskets and hydroton, and then the upper roots that don't reach the water below, you may be able to keep the gnats out. Then use the fly tape to catch them. :)

Thanks Hush!

I decided to azamax em. Instant death for the flying ones! Now they are floating in the buckets, larva and all. I am now going back to drain and refill with 1/2 strength nutes in an hour. Plants look unaffected...

:48: wish me luck

still rockin this one. looks like itll see a harvest. thanks go out to the bennies. :rofl:

~2 more weeks? fak i am tired of dealing with the 7 foot monsters and i want my garage back

1279d53e.jpg

ad96a7d6.jpg

7186c1d8.jpg

9e3e35c9.jpg

8da25e6a.jpg

b2161472.jpg

5913623a.jpg

All chopped...possibly 2.5lbs... update on final weight in a few days

Some root shots:hubba:

a972cb4c.jpg

d7f192c3.jpg

I never had the slime problems like this..... but I will have to read these threads to possibly combat this in the future.....

Grats on Harvest

OGKushman said:
All chopped...possibly 2.5lbs... update on final weight in a few days

Some root shots:hubba:

Very nice information given here regarding the root in hydroponics. The root is the main part of the plant and if it is safe then the whole plant is going to grow very well.

for steering me to Heisenberg. I, too, have been fighting root problems for a few runs. I now have my best run in over a year finishing up. Used Heisenbergs exact recipe and plants exploded in just a couple days.

I just keep a 5gal bucket bubbling next to my ebb and grow barrel and put a couple cups a day in res. which now smells like rich soil, which is a little strange.

Since I now have a living solution I'm even thinking about going with organic nutes next round. Using GH3 + cal/mag + tea now.

BTW, you might be happy to know the strain... OGKush X Afgooey :hubba:

Thanks again OGK!

Well. This brown $hit returned. I am ashamed for various reasons.

For remembering how enthusiastic I used to be about growing and how I now have a grow room lacking maintenance. How I purchased so many products to save my beloved OG strain I’ve had since 2011, and never went back to tea.

I have no real excuse except that I had truly forgotten about this part of my life. The site crash really left me bitter. I had so much of my life documented. But I will be starting this Heisenberg tea regimen tomorrow and comparing it to the Monterey copper fungicide I purchased and already treated one vegging plant with. While I can’t guarantee I’ll be back here like I was, I do miss a lot of the old posters.

So crazy. It’s been so long. I’m deep into my 30’s now. I’ve moved to a bigger house. I have 2 kids now...and weed is legal in California.

Good to see you back bro.
Normally that problem is caused by heat or light leaks into the bucket. If your solution is to warm your roots will be yellow. They like cool water around 68f.

This time around the cure was more nutrients. After 10 years my GH 3 part 3grow 3micro 1bloom per gal for moms and early veg was not cutting it anymore.
I upped my grow to 4, micro to 5, and bloom still 1. I also changed my myco to MYCOS WP.

the copper fungicide all but killed the plant

the tea helped as much as just adding Mycos WP.

A full sterilization along with this new formula has given me another chance though and for that I am grateful.
67BB9636-0D53-49C1-BA5B-FEF6663DE29C.jpeg
EDF6A539-213A-45E2-805D-64C97ABD6983.jpeg

Last edited:
that plant looks super healthy and happy

seems like you dialed in the right formula

say , do you mind sharing what is the source of your OG?

cheers
big
Thank you. OG raskal’s The White, white fire, and fire og seeds from sometime before 2012 or 2011.

I could sit here and tell you all day long about where I’ve been and who I’ve met and what I’ve seen but none of that matters because this is the only, best, and last strain I’ll ever need. Ive never gotten tired of it. You can basically ruin a grow and it’ll still lay you on the floor.
If I could open a shop I would name it OG Kush. I’d offer this one product. When asked why you’ll get the same reply. It’s all you need man.

I’m fortunate is all I can say. 😂

after some googling it (not the strains pictured here originally from 2012…The vegging mom I just posted here is it though) looks exactly like the white fire “wifi”
190B855E-AC0B-453B-AD29-D3B82B0D285B.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back