October's First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the latest picture of my grow. I've transplanted my girls into their final home, their 5 gallon smart pots.

I have a question concerning when to put my plants into their flowering stage. I've read that you should wait until you have between 5-7 nodes or better yet, wait until the plants have alternating nodes. Right now I have 5 nodes, since I've transplanted yesterday I'd like to wait at least another 7 days or so to allow my plants to adjust to their new pots.

So judging from this latest picture when would everyone think I should move my plants into their 12/12 light cycle? I haven't seen any alternating nodes yet, but I'd like my plants to be mature enough before moving them into flowering. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Peace

View attachment Day41-A.jpg

Those are looking so nice especially for a first grow October. Do we know if these are girls yet, they are from seed, right?

You certainly don't need to flip yet. It is nice to flip early with the LED's. though. But we need to know sex first, or at least have alternating nodes. Let um grow a bit and keep up the good work.. Very nice.

Those are looking so nice especially for a first grow October. Do we know if these are girls yet, they are from seed, right?

You certainly don't need to flip yet. It is nice to flip early with the LED's. though. But we need to know sex first, or at least have alternating nodes. Let um grow a bit and keep up the good work.. Very nice.

Thanks Rosebud, yes all three are from seed, the two up front are Kush Bomb from Bomb Seeds, the one in the back is a mystery, although I'm guessing from it's leaves it must be Indica dominate. I don't know their sex yet, the two Kush Bomb's should be female.

I've read you won't know their sex for sure until about a week after flipping them into their 12/12 cycle? What's your experience?

I'm not in a hurry to put them into flowering, if leaving them in veg a while longer will produce more buds. I'm doing my best not to count the days on the calender as mush as letting the plants dictate when to go to flower. So I'm inclined to wait for alternating nodes before flipping.

Peace

Before using LED, i vegged for 8 weeks waiting for satori to show. She takes her sweet time. By 8 weeks of veg, i had trees. That worked fine for HPS, but not for LED. So now I clone and flip early as the plants do better under the led that way. Let um go a week or ten days and see if they are showing yet. Did you use feminized seed?

If your not in a hurry you could fim or pinch the tops, but that will delay sexing for a bit. They really do look nice.

def veg them plants another couple weeks, unless you have a really short flower area... they do look very happy... :48:

Hey hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with family and friends.

OK, so here is where I'm at. All three are looking great, nice color, seem to be health and happy. Still no signs of alternating nodes so I haven't flipped them to a 12/12 light cycle yet. I measured them this morning one is 15" tall and the other two are around 13 1/2" tall.

As y'all know this is my first go-round growing so all I know is to look for alternating nodes to be sure the plants are mature enough to flip them to a 12/12 light cycle. So from y'alls past experience how tall are Indica's normally before flipping? I have a 7' tall tent minus fan, filter and light that leaves about 5'-6" of vertical space.

Peace!

View attachment Day52-A.jpg

In regards to height, A safe estimate with indicas is that they will stretch to double the size from flip. There isnt any specific height that you will see maturity, but on average i.m.e. about 18 inches in an untopped plant for an indica. But you could see pistils or alternating nodes any time now.

Your plants look like they're loving that L.E.D.!

Looks like you could do a little pruning to the lower areas to let in more light and air.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!:)

Hey Oct, looking good. AM is right, this would be a good time to take off a few inches of the lowest growth. I don't think inches matter as much as maturity for when they will sex.. LOL, that sounded funny.

Your plants are looking awesome, so happy for you.

Hey y'all thanks for the information and suggestions. I have been thinking I need to trim some of lower growth off too. But I just don't know how to go about it, I'd hate to screw things up.

So when I trim, would I just snip off a few of the lower limbs at the stem or just trim a few of the lower leaves off?

Peace

Take the lower limbs off at the main stem. It is hard to do, but it will really help.

You did a great job. Looks like they will be showing sex any minute... I can't quite see. The third node up on the left up highter at a leaf bracket is looking female, but it is really too soon to see. Nice job and with those great pictures we will be able to tell soon. Good job.

I think you are right about the leaves not being mature enough to keep for shake. But after this yes, you can. Beautiful plants. your doing amazing for your first grow.

You did a great job. Looks like they will be showing sex any minute... I can't quite see. The third node up on the left up highter at a leaf bracket is looking female, but it is really too soon to see. Nice job and with those great pictures we will be able to tell soon. Good job.

I think you are right about the leaves not being mature enough to keep for shake. But after this yes, you can. Beautiful plants. your doing amazing for your first grow.

Thanks Rosebud, yeah after doing a little more research, my plants are not showing their sex yet. No wispy white pistils yet. Still no alternating nodes yet either so I'm not going to flip yet. I actually wound up with more trim than I thought I would and I know that the trim doesn't have enough CBD or THC to bother with......but, think I might dry it and try making a tincture with it anyway so I can get a little experience for when I harvest.

Peace

It's been eight days since I posted any pic's of my grow, so here they are. Two of my plants have now started their first alternating nodes, the other one is surely soon to follow. I'm thinking of flipping them to their 12/12 cycle today. I don't know, what do y'all think?

Peace

View attachment Day62-A.jpg

View attachment Day62-B.jpg

You certainly can flip, you just really need to be on the lookout for a boy. They look just great.

I like to wait until they all show alternating nodes before i flip. But there wouldnt be a compelling reason not to flip here.

I like to wait until they all show alternating nodes before i flip. But there wouldnt be a compelling reason not to flip here.

Yeah, I'm just getting anxious, first grow and all. I think I'll follow your advice and wait for the other Kush Bomb to show alternating nodes before flipping, I have room vertically for their growth.

Rosebud, I'm watching them like a hawk, any signs of a male and I'm pulling the plug.

If they aren't showing alternating nodes they aren't mature enough to flip. Are you going to take any clones?

Latest posts

Back