Could Jeff Sessions End Legal Marijuana?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From moneymorning.com

Could Jeff Sessions End Legal Marijuana?

jeff-sessions-AP-640x480.jpg

By Casey Wilson, Associate Editor, Money Morning • December 2, 2016

President-elect Donald political name announced on Thursday that Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) will be the next U.S. Attorney General – which triggers some questions on what that means for one of the country's fastest-growing industries….

Sessions is arguably best known for his conservative views on immigration and civil rights. He was a leading opponent of President Obama's executive amnesty order in 2007, which gave jobs and benefits to undocumented immigrants. He also defends "traditional Alabama values," which conflict with same-sex marriage laws in America, according to his official website.

The Alabama senator has also been an outspoken critic on the nation's burgeoning marijuana industry.

In fact, Sessions is firmly against legalizing pot for recreational or for medicinal use.

"We need grown-ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not that kind of thing that ought to be legalized," Sessions claimed in a Senate meeting on April 5.

In the same Senate meeting, Sessions claimed, "This drug is dangerous, you cannot play with it, it is not funny, it's not something to laugh about . . . and [it's important] to send that message with clarity that good people don't smoke marijuana."

At a time when the marijuana industry is just starting to secure a legitimate foothold in the U.S. economy, could Jeff Sessions end legal marijuana?

If that's the senator's ultimate goal, it might be easier said than done, because of actions set forth by the Obama administration…

In 2013, the Justice Department released a memorandum, dubbed the "Cole Memo," that outlined what circumstances would call for federal law enforcement to intervene on the marijuana issues of individual states. Basically, so long as the states are effectively able to regulate and enforce their marijuana policies, there would be need for intervention.

Congress has also prohibited the Justice Department from using federal funds to interfere with medical marijuana patients if the drug has been approved in their state.

Sessions believes that President Barack Obama's administration has allowed the issue of legal marijuana to be "minimized." On April 5, he stated "I think the DEA understands this, but I'm not sure that the President does," when discussing the dangers he believes marijuana presents.

In order to curb the president's allegedly lax stance on marijuana, Sessions appealed for the federal government to step in. Uncle Sam, apparently, can reverse what Sessions believes to be "the dangerous impacts of marijuana legalization," as he called it on April 5 at the Senate hearing.

Specifically, the Alabama senator suggested that federal prosecutors start prosecuting cases of marijuana use in Colorado.

But his request immediately fell flat…

That's because the Obama administration said "no, don't do that" and asked the feds to stay out of the states' business by issuing the Cole Memo.

Now that a new administration will be entering the White House in January, the Cole Memo could be scrapped completely and Sessions could have his way.

http://moneymorning.com/2016/12/02/could-jeff-sessions-end-legal-marijuana/

political name wont let him mess with States Rights on MMJ.

I personally dont think he will do anything about MMJ one way or the other,,no more then Obama did.
Of course,,,,,,Now Obama is claiming he will do something, ,,after he is out of office, ,,lol.

I told one of my friends that I believe that I will have maybe 1 more summer that I can grow cannabis before Sessions blackmails the states into changing their laws. I am seriously concerned for our cannabis laws....and Medicare and Social Security.

Sessions is horrible for a lot of reasons. They won't be able to take our SS, thg, but younger people may be in trouble.. The dem's will fight.

I do agree that Sessions is an *******. I have never liked the moron. Its the only pick Trumps made so far i dont like one little bit. But the last Attorney General ppl thought might be a problem too. Obama made them leave the States alone. political name said he would do the same..So i we will see very shortly what he will allow Sessions to do.

Read this
Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court is prodding the Justice Department to weigh in -- for the first time under Attorney General Loretta Lynch -- on the delicate legal issue of how to treat states that have legalized marijuana in the face of a federal ban.

It is a subject the Obama administration has handled gingerly, most recently in 2013, when the department, then led by Attorney General Eric Holder, said it wouldn't challenge the states with legal marijuana as long as they established strict regulatory schemes.
Now neighboring states have brought the regulatory scheme of Colorado before the Supreme Court, and last week, the justices asked to hear the solicitor general's views on the issue as they decide whether to take up the case.
Here's where things could get interesting. Advocates on both sides have been eager to see whether Lynch will take a tougher stand on the issue than her predecessor.
"This is a great test for the Obama administration," said Sam Kamin, a professor at the University of Denver Strum College of Law who helped draft Colorado's regulations and is pleased with the administration's position on the issue. "For Lynch, who is coming in the door, it will give us a sense of her impact on current policy."
Loretta Lynch makes her case for Attorney General

Loretta Lynch makes her case for Attorney General 03:29
During her confirmation hearings, Lynch expressed strong views in favor of upholding the federal ban on marijuana, and she distanced herself from comments made by President Barack Obama who had suggested that the drug isn't more dangerous than alcohol.
"I certainly don't hold that view," she said.
Foes of the legalization of marijuana don't expect Lynch to do a 180 from the administration's position, but they hope she will take a closer look at the issue and, at the very least, investigate the consequences of legalization in Colorado and other states.
"What we learned from the confirmation hearing is that she is uncomfortable with the idea of the marijuana industry being similar to legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco," said Kevin Sabet, the co-founder of Project SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana).

There is no good political reason for the political name administration to go after MJ.......... if any side decides to attack it they will loose support......... going after mj is only a loss.

Yeah,,,political name is going to want a second term. If he goes after States on MMJ he will screw himself and he knows it. Besides,,he likes money and knows there is alot of Revenue to be made with taxing Marijuana. Ppl who dont like political name are not going to like him no matter what he does. Even if he doesnt touch States rights on MMJ,, it wont matter,,ppl will still ***** that he didnt do more.

Yes Sessions is an idiot,,but i got a feeling he will have his hands full with illegal immigration, Sanctuary Cites, and Hillary. And if ppl think this deal with Hillary is over,,think again,,, Sessions does not like her at all.
I Personally think we dont need to waste time or spend money on the Hillary deal. We have much bigger fish to fry.

Yeah,,,political name is going to want a second term. If he goes after States on MMJ he will screw himself and he knows it. Besides,,he likes money and knows there is alot of Revenue to be made with taxing Marijuana. Ppl who dont like political name are not going to like him no matter what he does. Even if he doesnt touch States rights on MMJ,, it wont matter,,ppl will still ***** that he didnt do more.

Yes Sessions is an idiot,,but i got a feeling he will have his hands full with illegal immigration, Sanctuary Cites, and Hillary. And if ppl think this deal with Hillary is over,,think again,,, Sessions does not like her at all.
I Personally think we dont need to waste time or spend money on the Hillary deal. We have much bigger fish to fry.

I agree political name is ALL about the bottom line profit margin---class 1 drug = 0 federal taxes---therefore---either they quickly declassify marijuana so the fed can get those tax $$$---(which i see unlikely based on those advisors he is surrounding himself with)---or---take the path of least resistance with a quick tweet to the dea to fire up the war on drugs with laws already on the books for immediate federal seizures in the "legal" recreational states---i don't believe he has the balls to go after the medical as well---but who knows---all politicians are all corrupt always

Okay im high and i have no idea what to think about what you just said,,,

i would guess you're saying,,,,Who The Hell Knows,,,,,,lets wait and see,,,,:rofl:

There is no good political reason for the political name administration to go after MJ.......... if any side decides to attack it they will loose support......... going after mj is only a loss.

really---how bout billions in federal tax dollars---you are correct---marijuana loses

Well here goes another thread. :bolt:
At least Orange there aint non spitting this time. Lol

Hey,,its an inside joke betwixed me and Orange.

Well here goes another thread. :bolt:
At least Orange there aint non spitting this time. Lol

Hey,,its an inside joke betwixed me and Orange.

haha---nope just stick it in---no---thanks that was good---no---hey i'll call you later---didn't even leave a disconnected phone #---in fact---called me blue instead of my real name---orange---i'll tell ya WH---no respect!!!!

:rofl: yur killing me Orange. This freaking Trainwreck is some awesome smoke. Lol
Sick bastage.

Its the only pick Trumps made so far i dont like one little bit.

Really? Sessions is the only one? He has loaded his picks with wealthy people. Can you say Oligarchy?

11 Billion and counting>>>>https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...t-picks-far/tux8KGd7iNH0tGvzNtgb3H/story.html

:vap-leafy_wave:
Hammy calm down before you close the thread bro. Lol
Remember, ,,no Politics. :bolt:

All I am saying is I take this whole thing very maturely. I flip off KellyAnn everytime I see her, as well as the orange one.. I want to scream and yell and throw things... this is not who I am...lol I am just saying this election on a stress scale of 1-10 is 447.

Latest posts

Back