a new question for the experts among us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
I got some Blueberry Punch from greenlife seeds and germed them and they are now growing soo nice. got 8 out of 12 to pop, and have been concerned about the sex ratio of the babies. I have noticed that there these little sword looking things that grow up on either side of a leaf sprout (node?). right now the nodes are not alternating but the plants are growing gangbusters:banana: I've been looking for preflowers but have only seen the branching growth and the little sword looking things. My partner said that when the little swords are crossed with each other that means that one is a female, and when the little swords are spread apart that will be a male. This weekend we found that everyone appears to be producing female preflowers and all had "crossed swords". Has anyone ever heard this method of determining sex? is there any validity to it? Sorry no pics that show what I am talkin bout, I forgot the camera when I went to the "Grow-Lab". I'll update pics next week.:hubba:

Hushpuppy said:
My partner said that when the little swords are crossed with each other that means that one is a female, and when the little swords are spread apart that will be a male.

His information, to the best of my knowledge, is incorrect. I assume you are talking about the little shoots that grow out at the point where each branch comes off the main stem. These are normal and will be on every plant no matter the sex. Do they start off thick and come to a point? If so you are talking about something that is normal to every plant and how they grow is not going to indicate anything about sex at all....to the best of my knowledge.

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
His information, to the best of my knowledge, is incorrect. I assume you are talking about the little shoots that grow out at the point where each branch comes off the main stem. These are normal and will be on every plant no matter the sex. Do they start off thick and come to a point? If so you are talking about something that is normal to every plant and how they grow is not going to indicate anything about sex at all....to the best of my knowledge.

-SSF-

:yeahthat: You should be looking for a calyx with 2white pistils coming out of it.

.."stipules"... I've "heard" the same theory that your partner is saying. But I have also found it to be an untrue, unfounded theory.

If only the plant wld be so kind as to tell us early....but nope.

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was valid as I've not heard anyone suggest it. I think its just coinsidence that they worked out that way. sure would be nice to have that heads-up tho. just gotta be patient

Latest posts

Back