'One Gram per Watt Club'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pot Belly

Honeywagoneer
Reaction score
I have seen several references to a "one gram per watt" harvest. I have not achieved that yet - if there is a "yet" for me in the future.

Curiously, has anyone acheived a harvest like this? Can it be done without CO2? How about soil? What is the single most important item when trying to do this? Strain?

Also, I have found a problem with trying to compare wattage to harvest ratios: The higher the HPS wattage, the more efficient lumen output is per watt.

200 watt HPS = 22,000 lumens, or 110 lumens per watt.
400 watt HPS = 50,000 lumens, or 125 lumens per watt.

So when you are on the lower end of the grow scale, say 70 watts (HPS), you are at 90 lumens per watt.

Would a more accurate way to verifiy output be "grams per lumen", or "lumens per gram" (because it is a whole number)? Or is the ratio based on a 'standard', such as a 1,000 watt light?

Pot Belly said:
I have seen several references to a "one gram per watt" harvest. I have not achieved that yet - if there is a "yet" for me in the future.

Curiously, has anyone acheived a harvest like this? Can it be done without CO2? How about soil? What is the single most important item when trying to do this? Strain?

Also, I have found a problem with trying to compare wattage to harvest ratios: The higher the HPS wattage, the more efficient lumen output is per watt.

200 watt HPS = 22,000 lumens, or 110 lumens per watt.
400 watt HPS = 50,000 lumens, or 125 lumens per watt.

So when you are on the lower end of the grow scale, say 70 watts (HPS), you are at 90 lumens per watt.

Would a more accurate way to verifiy output be "grams per lumen", or "lumens per gram" (because it is a whole number)? Or is the ratio based on a 'standard', such as a 1,000 watt light?

I think its just a stand benchmark across all lights, some will do better than others, the most efficient lamp is the 600w hps i use 4 of these with a hydroponic setup plus co2 and to be honest i'm breaking 1gpw.

This hole scale really is just a simple method to guage how you did seeing as just going on weight wouldn't be a good platform to base it on.

1 gm per watt is past the realms of most growers, we do good if we get 1gm per 5 watts, its a simple bravado brag statement to say one gets 1 gm per watt, to get 1 gm per watt everything and i mean EVERYTHING has to be optimum, perfect nutes, perfect lighting, perfect air flow, perfect C02 etc etc etc, hey, we grow MJ and what we end up is happiness, dont try to touch the stars, they are out of reach.

Don't forget about the mythical 2grams per watt.
1 gram per watt isn't that elusive. Just most "personal" growers can't have the enviro to do it. Also strain has a great deal to do with this as well. CO2 isn't necessary for 1 gram per watt. but Hippy is right better have everything chimed in.
I can give you quite a few grow journals (unfortunately not many on here) that some members are over 1 gram per watt....climbing towards 1.5 grams per watt...but these dudes are freakin amazing growers and just live eat and breathe weed.

my setup is 4 x 600w hps which = 2400watts

this is a plant that is quite standard for my method of growing its only at 18 or so days of flowering and has another 50 to go

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49271&d=1203807910

these plants are weighing in at a dry weigh
t of around 4 ounces, i'm using co2 a hydroponic setup with temps at around 93 deg f

I'm currently growing 45 plants under the lights i have

I did say that i expect to achieve 4 ounces a plant but to make it more reasonable I will drop this to an average of 3 ounces per plant which as you can see from the pic above is not unreasonable.

45 plants x 3 ounces = 135 ounces
135 ounces x 28 = 3780 g

3780grams / 2400 watts = 1.57.

I know you might find this unbelievable as the figures are crazy but this is real and this is what i get no lies.

I am aiming at 1 gram per watt as a standard. I think I can achieve it with SnowWhite. I got 0.7gm/w so far, and I think maybe this gro I can get to 1.0

Widowmaker - you are a gardener alright! :eek: Wow! I believe your numbers too. I don't doubt that it could happen with the right conditions, and strain.

I was originally trying to relate to a small 70 watt bulb for a single plant grow. That would be 70 grams off a bulb at 90 lumens per watt. That's 2.5 oz. Pretty hard to grasp getting that much off a 70 watt'er. Unless you are real good, and have a real good productive pheno. Nothing wrong with always trying to improve performance.

I consume an oz a month, so I only need to harvest 2 oz every 8 weeks. And that would be off one plant.

I've got a plant in flower under a 150 watt HPS, and she's doing superb, but I am sure I'm not going to get 150 g (over 5 oz) off her. That would blow my mind if I went over 2.5 oz.:eek:

Pot Belly said:
Widowmaker - you are a gardener alright! :eek: Wow! I believe your numbers too. I don't doubt that it could happen with the right conditions, and strain.

I was originally trying to relate to a small 70 watt bulb for a single plant grow. That would be 70 grams off a bulb at 90 lumens per watt. That's 2.5 oz. Pretty hard to grasp getting that much off a 70 watt'er. Unless you are real good, and have a real good productive pheno. Nothing wrong with always trying to improve performance.

I consume an oz a month, so I only need to harvest 2 oz every 8 weeks. And that would be off one plant.

I've got a plant in flower under a 150 watt HPS, and she's doing superb, but I am sure I'm not going to get 150 g (over 5 oz) off her. That would blow my mind if I went over 2.5 oz.:eek:

what about if you grew the plant sideways?

say you get a rockwool cube and you plant your seedling in it, flip the cube on its side and then the plant should auto correct itself and start growin upwards, go through the whole of veg like this until you come to flower and then flip back up all the branches should point upwards and grow to the light and give you a better yield.

there was a pic in BPOTM where someone flowerd sideways, I got 224Gs off a 400, 2 plants. So are you saiying i would have to get 400'g off one plant under a 400, to reach 1 gram per watt? or as many plants as you can fit under a 400. I think it should be only the one plant. this effects quality, and i think its all about growing quality bud, not quantity.

headband said:
there was a pic in BPOTM where someone flowerd sideways, I got 224Gs off a 400, 2 plants. So are you saiying i would have to get 400'g off one plant under a 400, to reach 1 gram per watt? or as many plants as you can fit under a 400. I think it should be only the one plant. this effects quality, and i think its all about growing quality bud, not quantity.

It was me that grew the plant sideways.

The cola is without a doubt the best piece of weed on the plant so the best way to get your 1 gram per watt and get the quality is to grow from clone flower early and just grow budsicles. Cram them in right and you could easily break that 1 gram. Its always possible its just figuring out how to work it.

i think the only way to be in a the gram per watt club is only using one plant. Thats the only way quality doesn't suffer, the plant uses all it can, instead of all the plants using as much as they can get. I rather have quality than weight any day or the year.

headband said:
i think the only way to be in a the gram per watt club is only using one plant. Thats the only way quality doesn't suffer, the plant uses all it can, instead of all the plants using as much as they can get. I rather have quality than weight any day or the year.

I'm a bit lost bro, could you clear your last comment up for me a little, i'm confused.

HippyInEngland said:
1 gm per watt is past the realms of most growers, we do good if we get 1gm per 5 watts, its a simple bravado brag statement to say one gets 1 gm per watt, to get 1 gm per watt everything and i mean EVERYTHING has to be optimum, perfect nutes, perfect lighting, perfect air flow, perfect C02 etc etc etc, hey, we grow MJ and what we end up is happiness, dont try to touch the stars, they are out of reach.

I can assure you Hippy 1 gm/watt is no problem.

for example: imagine my last sog grow, 16 ICE plants in a 4x4 grid pattern, 10 inches apart. every plant is within the effective range of the 430w SonAgro HPS. each will be trimmed to allow only the top colas to grow. each plant will produce a 18-20 inch cola yielding between 75 and 125 grams dry. Do the math and you get 1600 gm on average. Well over the 1 gram per watt standard. almost any indica can be done in an efficient sog style. Perhaps I'll do a blue misty sog style after SnowWhite??

i think quality suffers if your trying to get 1 g per watt, using more than one plant under a single light. I think the only way to know you can get it, is to use
a single plant, where nothing else can alter the plant. No competition for light, different breeds yield different amounts. Theres just to many variables the can effect yeild. As what puffin said, single cola plants in sog would be the best for quality and quantity per space.

headband said:
i think quality suffers if your trying to get 1 g per watt, using more than one plant under a single light. I think the only way to know you can get it, is to use
a single plant, where nothing else can alter the plant. No competition for light, different breeds yield different amounts. Theres just to many variables the can effect yeild. As what puffin said, single cola plants in sog would be the best for quality and quantity per space.

I'm growing approx 45 under 4 lights and my plants are not competing for light, in actual fact bro your going to have lower quality bud by growing just one plant than many, because if you grew just one you wouldn't be cutting branches off that are not going to do as well as others because you need the yield from the one plant. With my grow i let the tops that will rise up enough and produce quality bud carry on to grow and the lower ones that are not worth it get trimmed.

My method is like between sog and just letting them grow, although the cola is undisputed king of the bud geting 4 or 6 side buds that come up to a decent height will give a nice yield boost without loss of quality and without reducing the number of plants you put in.

The best weed will only come from flowering sexually mature rooted clones and just growing a budsicle style cola, i doubt however you could reach anywhere near 1g a watt withonly one plant per light unless you gave it some serious veg time and did an awesome scrog like this one.

the widowmaker said:
The best weed will only come from flowering sexually mature rooted clones and just growing a budsicle style cola
Headband said:
single cola plants in sog would be the best for quality and quantity
thats what im saying, i just think the true meaning of 1gm/per watt, should obtain to a single plant and a single light. I definitely know what your going at, i just think the more light the better, not saying you dont trim the weeny branchs or do some serious lst and long veg time, just check out Puffin Afattys regenertaion 5. I think what you got going is sick, I just think anyone can accomplish 1g/per watt even with cfl depending on how big your going. :shocked:

the widowmaker said:
in actual fact your going to have lower quality bud by growing just one plant than many, because if you grew just one you wouldn't be cutting branches off that are not going to do as well as others because you need the yield from the one plant.
im pretty sure its impossible to recreate the sun, and thats what MJ loves the most, so i say, the more light the better
i dont know, use a small hps, your yield doesn't have to be so big and lollypop her so shes bomb. i just think the quality would be better under one light. just me, not fact.

When I used rockwool on my 4x4 and 4x8 tables a gram per watt was expected (I`ve gotten more). But that is DEFINATELY because of the strain I have ( I have got less with other strains). I never used C02 on any rockwool grow. Same nutes as I`m using on my current grow (minus the vitamax and koolbloom) 1000 watt bulbs, no covers. And to be honest a lot of conditions couldve been better. Maryjane is a Crazylady!!!!!!!!!
Peace

P.S. I`m confident I`ll be putting out over a gram per watt with my waterfarm. Just got2 get used to her!!

Latest posts

Back