Why Hydroponic vs. Soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WhiteWidower

I've only grown in soil, so for those of you who choose to grow hydroponically, why do you choose hydroponic growing? It seems to me much more of a hassle than simple (and natural) soil grow.

Thanks.

myself, I grows in soils for more than 15 years....
I have found DWC bubbleponic is very easy to handle!!..no spray, no water pump.... I have seen amazed results!!! MassProd is legendary!!

but for drip system, or anything with sprayer, maybe its hassle. I'm not sure I have not gone that far... yet... just that... as long the nutes, water, o2, oxgen is all in the tank, then no worries....

But why go hydroponic at all? Does it offer advantages? If not, then it seems it is just extra cost and extra hassle.

To me hydro is alot more gratifying, It's not that expensive and it takes alot of the "guess work" out of growing, like papa said you just keep your levels right and they will grow like a weed;)
also with soil I would always want to do something to help the plants..
which usually resulted in "loving them to death" where as with hydro anytime you feel like messin' around in the garden you can always tweek your levels,
It's just my opinion, but hydro is the way to go!

WhiteWidower said:
But why go hydroponic at all? Does it offer advantages? If not, then it seems it is just extra cost and extra hassle.

Actually, IMO, it is not more expensive and it is not more of a hassle. Buying soil, perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, and other soil additives and mixing them all together in the correct proportions is more expensive and a much bigger hassle. Also dealing with the used soil in the winter is a problem. Plants generally grow faster with hydroponics because a highly oxygenated nutrient solution is delivered continually to the roots.

WhiteWidower said:
I've only grown in soil, so for those of you who choose to grow hydroponically, why do you choose hydroponic growing? It seems to me much more of a hassle than simple (and natural) soil grow.

Thanks.

For me its speed, 2 weeks max vegging time then 8 weeks flower is a 10 week total to grow for monster size plants.

Hydro is very easy and clean, ill never go back to dirt.

Growdude said:
For me its speed, 2 weeks max vegging time then 8 weeks flower is a 10 week total to grow for monster size plants.

Hydro is very easy and clean, ill never go back to dirt.

Growdude how much do u usually harvest with such a short grow period. Whats your intial setup. drip, ebb flow, dwc ect.?

jnyce1320 said:
Growdude how much do u usually harvest with such a short grow period. Whats your intial setup. drip, ebb flow, dwc ect.?

Ive got a few grow journals and pics in my sig.

I start with clones in rockwool, after there rooted I plant directly into the waterfarm (drip system)

I got 759 grams dry from a 2x5 closet from WW monsters.

Being that the principle behind growing in soil is pretty much a no-brainer when you get the watering and nutrients down, I keep seeing the "pros with the most effective grows" doing hydro. Now i am affraid to chart into unknown territory, so i went with soil as i understand it better, but to be honest, soil sucks. This watering business is quite tiresome, mixing every gallon separately, moving god knows how much soil up and down my stairs, making a huge mess. I really need to look into hydro, as i believe it to be more efficient.

i did 5 hydro(rockwool,ebb&flo,SOG) crops...got bored and decided to try soil. I now also have a coupl Mass-coco-buckets goin. I set-up a 6 plant DWC grow for a friend........soil may be the easiest to get right(so i'm told) but IME it is much more work...with the DWC bein the least work, and coincidentally,biggest producer with the exception of 1 Ebb&flo crop. Not including Mass-coco buckets as I haven't finished flowering any of them yet. hydro does grow faster as stated.
with that said, I have enjoyed every method, they were all work, and they all got me high!
Don't be scared of Hydro people...ain't that hard if i could do it:D

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, IMO, it is not more expensive and it is not more of a hassle. Buying soil, perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, and other soil additives and mixing them all together in the correct proportions is more expensive and a much bigger hassle. Also dealing with the used soil in the winter is a problem. Plants generally grow faster with hydroponics because a highly oxygenated nutrient solution is delivered continually to the roots.

I certainly don't mix all that stuff in the soil. Straight potting soil for me works very well - and no hassles whatsoever.

whitewidower.....

you do need to water em, but in DWC they are watered.... no water pump!!
just a mist fogger and air stones/airpump.... next time you go bar with me for some beer pitch, I ll remind you "did you water yours"

Unless hydro can significantly increase yield and/or potency and/or shorten growing time (proven scientifically or course!), I see hydro as a much more of a hassle and larger expense to buy all the equipment. Potting soil for me is cheap in my country (about 9 USD /bag for 50 liters worth!), the pots I reuse, and I already have the lights for many years + sunshine is always free! And I grow for my husband and me some good stuff for...as Borat would say, "Sexy Time...high five!"

andy52 said:
then why ask,either try hydro or stay with soil.

now thats a little rude don't you think? we're all here to learn, the best way to learn is to ask question if you don't understand something. how many questions have you asked since you've been here? how many members responded to you like that? people should feel free to ask anything they want as long as its related to growin mj. jmo

thats the truth,BUT,why knock something until u try it.if you are scared of it,it will defeat you.i too was scared of hydro to start with and NO ONE WANTS TO TELL U JACK ABOUT IT ON HERE.ITS SO SECRETIVE..THERE IS ONLY A CHOSEN FEW HERE THAT HAVE HELPED ME WITH HYDRO AND THE ONE THAT HAS THE MOST HAS DONE IT THRU PM.scratch around your own door before jumping on my arse.then tell the dude how to grow his crap.and who died and made you the critic of the site.its very elemantary,soil or hydro,or sero,or coco,whos gonna know the difference unless you try it yourself.nobody can tell you the difference,its a personal choice for the grower.duh

its ok dude pull your panties down a bit, the site is for education is it not. how do you decide what you wanna grow in if you don't know about both? how do you learn about them? you ask question.

and im nothing more than a member here just like you, but i think its wrong for you or anyone short of marp himself to tell someone they can't or shouldn't ask a question about growin on this GROWING FORUM. and i'll say something about it then to if i think its wrong.

IMO, I have done with soils for more than 15 years... Im growing tomatoes 3 different varies of tomatoes in DWC along with 4 tops of mj, and 6 babies of mj
and have 10 mothers in soils... I'm all eagers to keep all mothers in 24/7 and do the cutting, then have 30 to 40 clones off one mother in one DWC so how many mothers do I have? do the math!! and I do the clean work with waters if you want clones on dirts... help yourself and don't forget to clean after yourself ;) dirts gets you get it?

Latest posts

Back