Why Hydroponic vs. Soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am starting my first hydro grow (E&F) and could'nt be more excited...if you want a little more "science" in your garden then go hydro...i started in soil but i have since fallen in love with the idea of reading numbers to get my solutions right instead of guessing if what i just did is going to hurt them.
p.s...there is a reason they call the good stuff "dro" on the streets...even though it's usually not dro lolol.....

andy52 said:
then why ask,either try hydro or stay with soil.hydro is the way to go.i can change my 5 gal buckets out alot quicker than you can go dump your dirt and go buy some more.if you ain't tried it and ask questions,seems mundane to me.

I'm glad somebody replied how rude this was before I did...

...I ask to learn, and considering the expense and hassle I prefer soil. Is this deserving of your rude response? Nobody's scared. I asked, I learned, and I decide what is best for me.

If this is the rudeness I get for asking a question, I will ask much less in the future.

I grow in soil but I am going to try a dwc grow this winter to see if I like it.

WhiteWidower said:
Unless hydro can significantly increase yield and/or potency and/or shorten growing time (proven scientifically or course!),

Hey WW, It is well proven that hydro is faster than soil, now flowering times will remain the same but you can grow with practicly no vegg time, frome clones.

Look at my grows, all have been done with 2 weeks or less vegg time and a total of 10 weeks.

Most soil growers are vegging 10 weeks.

But to really answer your question from someone thats done both IMO
1, Faster total grow times
2, Bigger buds due to the inceased growth speed.
3, Cleaner, no dirt
4, Easyer to maintain,No watering, no guesswork on what your giveing your plants.
5, Easyer to correct any problems that could happen, just dump nutes and flush. Then mix up a correct batch.
In dirt you dont have any idea what NPK ratios are.

The cons are
1, more expensive to set up, need PH/TDS measuring device.
2, most systems depend on electricity, but so do your lights.
3, Most people need to change rez every 7-14 days
That sums it up pretty good.

godspeedsuckah said:
How often do you need to change your res or buckets in dwc?

I updated my cons list lol.

I said most people need to 7-14 days as with any hydro system.
But I know many, myself included have never changed the rez but you have to learn your system.

I agree 100% with Growdude. I haven't been around in awhile but I still remember the last grow. All I will do is hydro now. From seedling to flower 16 days. Fully mature for flower in 16 days from seedling is that not fast? Try FF ferts to start cause if you don't like it then most of the ferts from FF can be used in soil as well so no loss. And you could sell the meters that you need after. Really it is worth a shot.

Hey Growdude, thanks for your kind reply.

...but here's a drawback for hydro: you can't move your plants around the house to have them "visit" you, i.e. remove a plant or two and place as decoration in your bedroom or living room, or take them out on the balcony with you on a sunny day to spend some time with them in the sun.

Hydro = not movable.

It all depends on your hydro method WW. I have the ability to move my plants around, or take them from the room if need be.

I have to say that I agree with Andy. I also tend to lose patience with someone that comes here, asks a question and then argues with everyone that gave them advise. I am more than happy to help someone that really want to learn, but some here just seem to turn every thread into an argument. Why even ask if you already have your mind made up and just want to argue?

I would venture to say that hydro is easier to move, unless you are scrogging, which, if done like HG, you can still move it!

moving your plants around will shock them if moved often....going from artificial light to natural light will shock them....i have seen thousands of hydro pics and if you can read a meter then you can grow very nice plants..hydroponics is in our blood, to take a thing and amp it up a bit...thats called progress and it's what humans do by nature..i understand the questions you ask in response to a previous question , to see if we may have missed something, but i assure you no member of this site would willingly give out bad info....the folks who praise hydro have reason to do so..

Growdude said:
What else can ya come up with?

Hey Growdude!

You are actually one of the cool members here...haven't noticed any negative-or-rude-attitude posts from you. Some people here are so condescening in their "help" they give...if you do it differently then you are berated and flamed for doing it differently than they do.

...not being movable is a big drawback for me. In response to someone a few posts above you saying that moving them from/to artificial & natural light shocks them: this is not true. It strengthens them. Yes, if you have a plant that spends 2 months under artificial in spring and then in summer you bring out to sunlight in desert area at noon, yes it will wilt as it is shocked.

...but moving back and forth in early autumn or spring for a few hours back and forth helps to strengthen the plant. My plants go back and forth and are not shocked. They enjoy lots of supplemental light at night, and natural sunlight in the day. With hydro this can't be done...only with soil grows in pots.

Weren't you just posting yesterday about your plants being spotted by your landlord because they were out on you balcony? And why do you even ask questions that you already "know" the answers too? The people here who recommend hyrdro to you are recommending it based on experience. By moving your plant in and out and in and out you ARE causing stress to it. You are also opening yourself up to a pest problem. But, from what I've read in this and other threads by you, you are going to do it whatever way you want, because no matter what advice is offered to you, you still THINK you are right. Some people shouldn't be growing...

well WW, i'll just say it....my pot is cooler than yours

Reactions: gmo

Latest posts

Back