Hydro Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raw Dog

Reaction score
If one has a hydro set up for about 2 or 3 plants, how long would one set the pump to run for? And would it be different for vegging and flowering? All I know is that its 3 times a day.

Raw Dog said:
If one has a hydro set up for about 2 or 3 plants, how long would one set the pump to run for? And would it be different for vegging and flowering? All I know is that its 3 times a day.
It would depend on the type of Hydroponics you're using.

DWC, NFT, Drip, Ebb and Flow, aeroponic or a hybrid of more than one?

What type of media are you using?

If you can describe your system and it's size, it would also help.

What type of lights are you using?

well im tryin to flower with ebb and veg with drip

StoneyBud said:
It would depend on the type of Hydroponics you're using.

DWC, NFT, Drip, Ebb and Flow, aeroponic or a hybrid of more than one?

What type of media are you using?

If you can describe your system and it's size, it would also help.

What type of lights are you using?
Oh im tryin to veg one mother and 2 clones in rockwool under t5's. Also im trying to flower 2 plants in hydroton under a 250 watt hps.

Raw Dog said:
well im tryin to flower with ebb and veg with drip

Raw Dog said:
Oh im tryin to veg one mother and 2 clones in rockwool under t5's. Also im trying to flower 2 plants in hydroton under a 250 watt hps.
As far as timing your pumps, do I understand you correctly that you have a pump for your drip that you're timing and another pump on your ebb and flow for timing?

If so, then the timing for the drip is to "Moisten" the rockwool, not to saturate it. You need to experiment with it your self to understand how fast of a drip you need for your particular setup. Start slow and work up. Better to be slightly dry than to drown them. Watch your plants closely for any signs of water deprivation. If they show signs of being in need of more water, then increase the rate of drip. This takes close observation.

If your rockwool becomes too dry, you can always moisten it manually.

In the ebb and flow, I've used a one hour on, two hours off cycle for years and had great results.

If you ask 10 hydro people this same question, you'll get 12 variations of how it works for them. Same with me.

First crops are almost always learning crops. Mostly, you learn what you won't do again on your second crop.

Raw Dog, there are many other parts to your grow that the veteran growers here will help you with.

Your lights, grow room conditions and ventilation, and your nutrient usage at the various stages of growth in your two systems.

If you explain what type of nutrients you've planned and the spectrum and amount of lumens your using for lights, we'll all help you get that perfect as well.

StoneyBud said:
Raw Dog, there are many other parts to your grow that the veteran growers here will help you with.

Your lights, grow room conditions and ventilation, and your nutrient usage at the various stages of growth in your two systems.

If you explain what type of nutrients you've planned and the spectrum and amount of lumens your using for lights, we'll all help you get that perfect as well.
BTW i have some gh nutrients with macro for veg and flowering. the t5's are 20,000 lumens and got cool white and warm white bulbs. The hps got 30000 lumens with blue spectrum i dont know if that helps with the question i asked but thanks anyway

Raw Dog said:
BTW i have some gh nutrients with macro for veg and flowering. the t5's are 20,000 lumens and got cool white and warm white bulbs. The hps got 30000 lumens with blue spectrum i dont know if that helps with the question i asked but thanks anyway
Yes, it sure did help.

You've got enough light for a grow, but only for about 17 square feet of plant canopy. That would be for 3,000 lumens per/square foot of plant canopy.

If you want 5,000 lumens per/square foot of plant canopy, you'll have enough for 10 square feet.

You've said you're growing 2 or 3 plants in the ebb and flow for flowering. If you use all your lights on it, you'll have enough light to get your plants about 3 feet tall or so. If you want them larger than that, or you find that your combination of lights doesn't really work together, you might want to look into getting a larger HPS, or even another the same size as what you do have and keep your T5's over your host plant.

Latest posts

Back