!st cola grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jungle

kind bud
Reaction score
Here are some plant pictures of my first effort to grow for colas only. , They all have been flowering now for three weeks. The oldest plants are 6 to 7 weeks old. Hope you enjoy. Any insightfull comments are welcome. I'm still learning. Hope you enjoy.

Theres ww, satori, and mango, that were trimed three different times. Once in veg just before I placed them in 12/12. Then 6 days later. Then another 8 days later. There done with that now.

The picture with the ufo light are the ones following up from the rear. Before they were put on 12/12, the oldest plant was about a week. The oldest in the ufo picture is about 3 weeks old and have been in flowering stage for two weeks now. There still yet to show me sex. Mainly because they were very young when placed on 12/12. The plants under the ufo light consist of Juicy Fruit, Purple Power, and unknown kinds of seed. The pics under the ufo light will only be trimed once and that was about 1/3 up the stem from bottom to top. Now it's to late for them to be trimmed again so they will have a few more lower branches.

The idea behind the cola grow was to have more plants in a given space, and to grow some nice fat cola buds.

So I have 7 females so far, waitting to hear from 9 others, and destroyed 8 males. I'll keep taking pictures as they develope, hopefully I am doing the right thing here. Happy Thanksgiving.

HPIM2532.JPG

HPIM2535.JPG

HPIM2540.JPG

HPIM2539.JPG

HPIM2542.JPG

HPIM2545.JPG

HPIM2549.JPG

The problem I see is internode spacing, Without compact internodes the plants wont form a large single cola.

a few too many branches were also removed on some pics.

Were these vegged under the UFO? what kind of lighting do you have?

The big ones were veged under 600 watt mh and now are growing under 600 watt hps. The ones that are younger are under ufo light. Both lights are sort of side by side in same grow area. The ufo above the younger the 600 watt above the older plants. The ones under the ufo have always been under it basicaly.

IMO you have almost destroyed these plants through pruning them. Six to seven weeks old? Mine were 5 weeks old and three foot tall dense bushes when put into flower. I don't think you are giving them enough light by the look of it and the pruning is madness.

Yo J...

I have made the same error that you did...

DO NOT PUT THOSE INTO 12/12!!

Without leaves to provide energy and growth, you will probably get about .5 to 1.0 grams from that plant...not kidding...plants need a lot of leaves in 12/12 to supply bud production and you have completely stripped the growth factories....

I posted a pic of a plant that I "pruned" that looks like the one that you "cut the skirt" from..won't work homey...

Put those back into veg and let them develop a healthy canopy..

Here's the dirty little secret though: don't remove leaves, just bud sites...keep tight spaces between branches and if you remove bud sites, the plant will divert it's remaining energy to the remaining bud sites.....

I've made these exact mistakes recently..so I know what you gotta do to make it right:)

cmd when u say u remove bud sites do u mean like the popcorn growth underneath? ty deary!

xactly 2..popcorn buds...

do I have my stuff correct? I'm still learning the pruning thing, so advice is always welcomed....right jungle?

cmd420 said:

Here's the dirty little secret though: don't remove leaves, just bud sites...keep tight spaces between branches and if you remove bud sites, the plant will divert it's remaining energy to the remaining bud sites.....

:yeahthat:

2Dog....at the node site where the new shoot/budsite....remove new growth but leave the fan leaf...leaveing the fan leaf for more energy to the plant..thus the energy is driven to the top COLA..which is what This poster is after...

Jungle.. Good luck to you and keep us posted:48:

take care and be safe:bolt:bong:

we need an elder to answer lol...oooh thanks 4u!

I think I understand. It's like pruning a tomato plant. But leave the fan leaves. Ok thanlks bunches. Still time to get it right. Peace.

here are some follow up pictures of my Cola grow. I didn't put them back into veg because I have only so much room for them. Some were to young to do much trimming. Some as you can tell were trimed from the bottom up to a certain point, with the idea to grow colas. So I have trimed ones and none trimed ones. Out of 26 plants I have 13 that were female. 1 plant is a mutant but it's female. so it looks like its coming out of it some. It's the first picture. It seemed to lack a central cola, and has four main branches that might have colas? I started some more seeds and theres 5 that have popped through the soil. I'm trying to have 16 plants. There at 3 different stages. I ordered a 1000 watt light, and will put it in the grow room, remove 600 watt light and grow the seedlings under it. I'll post some more pics closer to harvest. Maybe some will be ready in 3 or 4 weeks.

HPIM2595.JPG

HPIM2591.JPG

HPIM2588.JPG

HPIM2583.JPG

HPIM2580.JPG

HPIM2578.JPG

HPIM2576.JPG

HPIM2571.JPG

HPIM2567.JPG

Looking good over there jungle, I too am interested in growing cola-only plants. How big are the containers that you are using? I'm liking the cola in pic #4 :D

Most containers are 2 gallon. What I learned from this grow is. !. To keep light close so theres no stretch. and when pruning leave the fan leaves, but prune the suckers. The formula I followed was what I read some where. Prune 1/3 of the plant right before you put them in flowering. leave fan leaves. Then prune suckers 6 days later again 1/3 of the plant, leave fan leaves, then give it another pruning 8 days later 1/3 of the plant. Then no more pruning. You could sort of tie up the bottom fan leaves so there closer to the stem if you need more space. Good luck. There may be a better way, but this is all I know what to do. Some one told me to use plastic tupperware type containers that were about 4'' wide and there kind of tall. Inorder to get more plants in a room. But I used regular 2 gallon. A few 3 gallon. :)

Was bored so here is an update on my cola grow, Some had 3 trimmings some 2 and some 1. Hope you enjoy.

HPIM2615.JPG

HPIM2619.JPG

HPIM2621.JPG

HPIM2624.JPG

HPIM2625.JPG

HPIM2630.JPG

HPIM2633.JPG

HPIM2634.JPG

HPIM2635.JPG

HPIM2639.JPG

HPIM2646.JPG

are the yellowing fan leaves normal during bloom? (newbie here lol. i just flipped my first batch to 12/12 2 days ago)

I'll get a measurement on the colas tomorrow, Maybe the sixth picture is almost 1 foot long. The earliest any of these might be ready is 3 weeks. Yes it's normal for the fan leaves to turn yellow durring flowering. I've been very carefull in not over fertilizing, or over watering, and they are very healthy, they were completly green and healthy looking two weeks ago, but now they will begin to die and fade. Also I replaced my ufo light with a 1000 watt light and theres a 600 watt light in there as well. So plenty of light. My grow room is primative and open. It's how I decided to do it. There are better ways. But I think I'll still be happy with the results.

Fruity86 the best colas I have, 2 measure 13 inches long and the other two 14 inches. And they are the ones with the tightest nodes.

Nice job Jungle. Are you happy enough with the results to try again? What do you think the benefits were? What don't you like about it?

Thanks!
-BBFan

Latest posts

Back