Co2 benefits..worth it ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUFF MONKEY

TOWELIE IS MADE OF HEMP
Reaction score
howdy all. i just finished building my co2 rig and was wondering what the best way to use it is...does the veg room get anythnig special from it or only the flower room...when should i run it? lights on/off ? and what kind of "improvements" should i expect if done right ? it is a bottle/reg setup btw..thanks

P.S everyone of my DNA freebies popped(-sleestack) !!!! gonna put them in the net pots tomorrow !!!

I don't use supplemental CO2, so I can't really comment.

The one thing I can say without a doubt is that plants require CO2 to perform photosynthesis. This has nothing to do specifically with flowering, but everything to do with growth. Photosynthesis only occurs during lights on.

Absolutely give your plants CO2 while in veg.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Puff, You going to start a journal on your DNA plants?

BBfan said about all I was going to...I've nevr used it...let us know how it works for ya!

Worth it for optimum growth and required for grows with out ventilation.

OGKushman said it right - it's important w/o ventalation. When I run larger romms I'll use it also. Lots of plants in one space frequently use up the natural, available CO2 quickly.

so if i'm growing 18-36 plants, how long would it take for them to bring the ppm from 1500 back down to 300 ? i was planning on useing a solinoid regulator and leaking it for an hour and off for 3-4....the Co2 calc says my room size with the reg set to 2cuft per hour would need to be "on" for and hour and that the room should be replenished ever 3-4 hours.....what would you do ?

does a steady 1500 ppm's of Co2 spell a health problem to me in my grow room ?

Co2, hmm... good question.

From an analytical point of view,

unless you are going to increase lumens per square foot,
increase nutrient regimen/maintenance, control humidity so you can run higher temps, then id say dont waster your time.

Unless your grow is completely sealed tho, you are gonna have a rough time keeping things consistent.

jmo mang.

Exhaust your room before you go in, or I would. I would get a controller. Let it guide itself. I am on the fence whether to run CO2 generator or not. Also, I want to see Sleestack grow also. I have those freebies waiting for new home. You still need to exchange air in room with filter and fan, yes?

Hiya Puff Monkey/MPers...:ciao:

I used CO2 for many years when I had limited ventilation and high grow temps at other locations. Ime if you keep your temps down and keep a constant air exchange going, CO2 just isn't necessary although that's not saying it doesn't work. To really use it effectively you need to run a closed ventilation system with your lighting exhaust so you're not constantly pulling CO2 enriched air out of the room faster than you can put more in. If you go with that approach and run your filter within your room with a fan constantly pulling your air/odors thru the filter and exhausting it back into your grow space. To keep CO2 at the proper elevated levels requires a lot of gizmos... You need a solenoid controlled regulator which will be controlled by a CO2 PPM analyzer which is the brain of the unit that tells the regulator when to release more CO2 into the air... You can also do it with timed injections but it take some experimentation to find what seems to work the best.

Peace!:cool:

PUFF MONKEY said:
howdy all. i just finished building my co2 rig and was wondering what the best way to use it is...does the veg room get anythnig special from it or only the flower room...when should i run it? lights on/off ? and what kind of "improvements" should i expect if done right ? it is a bottle/reg setup btw..thanks

CO2 is extremely important for photosynthesis. (carbon Fixation) . Just remember the equation for Photosynthesis:

2n CO2 + 2n H2O + photons → 2(CH2O)n + 2n O2

carbon dioxide + water + light energy → carbohydrate + oxygen

Even the 3 types of photosynthesis are based on how they incorporate Carbon Dioxide: C3, C4 photosynthesis (Carbon Fixation 3 & 4) and CAM photosynthesis (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism).

Remember the definition of Photosynthesis?
A process that converts carbon dioxide into organic compounds (sugars/carbohydrates) USING THE ENERGY OF LIGHT <---
Therefore, keep lights on during CO2 supplementation, and CO2 off during dark periods.

The more light the more CO2 there should be. Or better, the higher PAR rating you have, the more CO2 you should supply. Different lights cause different CO2 'intake' rates/efficiency...

CO2 Enrichment is tricky to deal with sometimes. There are many different methods (homemade to spending a few dollars). You need a perfectly sealed chamber, and a CO2 meter (Vital instrument). Depending on you method(s) of CO2 generation, will decide other specification for your op.

CO2 and ventilation don't mix. A problem if you are using HID's. Unless you can keep the temperature of the room stable without flux and venting, ...Co2 could possibly be a waste of time

Few bucks? Try couple thousand. If I pull the trigger, I am for sure running those heat exchangers. So it would go, filter>fan>hood>exchanger. Think it would vastly cut down on AC. I also saw sealed off duct flanges on both walls, dual fans on both ends going thru lights when on.

nouvellechef said:
Few bucks? Try couple thousand. If I pull the trigger, I am for sure running those heat exchangers. So it would go, filter>fan>hood>exchanger. Think it would vastly cut down on AC. I also saw sealed off duct flanges on both walls, dual fans on both ends going thru lights when on.

There are so many methods you can use to create Co2. Ranging from 20$ to 200$ to 2000$

Buying a CO2 generator is a extremely expensive, and can be a waste of money. Same-goes for home-made methods as well, ...CAN BE a waste of money. However, ..For those who can't spend thousands of dollars, and those who can like to get into arguments about which is better ...I think I'll stick to explaining how to make Cheaper home-made designs, so more people and everyone can get use out of them. Both work. Both fail. Both have different costs.

I can get a 5* months supply of constant CO2 for 200$ or less. Look into a product called Co2 BOOST or Co2 Pucks. I use one of these methods + 2 home-made methods that can cost as little as 20 dollars a Month. Sometimes less

2 different kinds of home-made Co2 Generators/Dispensers... 20$-30$ is a good price for both of them.

I buy in half bulk. Enough for at least one month supply at a time...it's not hard to figure out.

1 - Either empty 2L pop bottles, or one big 5 gallon water jug, or pail, bucket, etc.
Aquarium tubing from the pet store (3-8$)
Sugar
Yeast (Dry Brewer's Yeast)

2 - Couple Big boxes of baking soda
1-2 Big jugs of Vinegar
FIJI water bottle (I find rectangular shape works easier sometimes)
I use pin needles
Container

NOTE: I'm explaining how to do all this with minimum $$$.

The first method is making alcohol. The yeast eats the sugar and produces Co2 and Alcohol. The ratio of sugar to yeast is always a lot higher. The more sugar and yeast, and BIGGER chamber, ..the more/longer Co2 will be produced. You make a small hole in any of the lids, maybe 2 or 3 if you have a pail and those giant round lids, and you insert the aquarium tubing, and seal it off... I use crazy glue. A lot of people already know this method, it's common, cheap, simple, and no matter what it does create extra Co2 which is a beneficial aspect.
Some people find doing this a waste of time, but that's up for debate, as some people love creating things like this for fun and experience, - You start off making pop bottle Co2 dispensers, then get creative and start coming up with your own ideas, like i thought up my drip system for Co2, A 2 big boxes of baking soda and big jug Vinegar (less than 10$) ...can produce Co2 in a drip system steady for weeks if made properly. There's also some other things you can do to this method.
I have done it. And it does work, as the meter tells all.

The second method is making your own drip system. Basically get a container and pour a nice amount of baking soda. You then fill the FIJI water bottle with vinegar and either put 1 really really tiny hole, or ..(it should be experimented with but maybe more, it's always different every time i make one). Vinegar is thin. I usually put one small hole in the lid VIA fire and needle, tac...and leave the need in the hole (melted pastic or C.glue) suspend the FIJI bottle over the BSoda container, and make sure it drips vinegar onto the Bsoda, ...10 or less drips a minute is good.
Voila co2 making drip system for 20$ or less.

I always make a set up of each method in a grow room, along with Co2 pucks, or, sometimes Co2 Boost. Some people say none of these methods work, but I've used them all many times, and I also use Co2 meters so I can VISUALLY see how much ppm of Co2 my chamber has. They all work. You just have to learn how to handle a gaseous nutrient.

Another good way for Co2 ...is going to Wal-mart (only some Wal-marts have it) ...Is purchasing DRY ICE

There are many other cheap ways as well.

Supplementing Co2 is a great way for speedy growth (faster cell division). Before carbon can be incorporated into plant tissue it has to be &#8220;reduced&#8221; from its state in the CO2 molecule; it has to be chemically reacted with water and high energy electrons to become a &#8220;carbohydrate. The more light the more Co2, faster growth takes place.

Six molecules of water plus six molecules of carbon dioxide produce one molecule of sugar and six molecules of oxygen. It is easy to see that environment conditions and the amount of light available dictate the level of sugar that the plant will produce. This energy is used by the plant to maintain biological function; any excesses in production will be stored in the plant.

Carbon Fixation is carried out by the enzymes RUBISCO and sometimes PEPCase.
TRIACONTANOL nearly doubles a plant&#8217;s rate of photosynthesis! Research suggests this is because TRIA directly increases the activity of enzymes involved in photosynthesis and growth, such as RUBISCO, PEPCase, ATPase, NADH-oxidase, and malate dehydrogenase. When using products that contain any of those enzymes, or Triacontanol the fatty acid and My personal favourite phytohormone, alone with Brassinolide., you should also be increasing your Co2 production

I am sorry, but the homemade CO2 things that use things like yeast and vinegar are useless. CO2 enhancement needs to be regulated and monitored to be effective. If you cannot keep CO2 levels at around 1500 ppm (and other things like more light and heat) and coordinate it with your exhaust, you are far better off just exchanging the air in your space 3-4 times a minute.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I am sorry, but the homemade CO2 things that use things like yeast and vinegar are useless. CO2 enhancement needs to be regulated and monitored to be effective. If you cannot keep CO2 levels at around 1500 ppm (and other things like more light and heat) and coordinate it with your exhaust, you are far better off just exchanging the air in your space 3-4 times a minute.

That's what CO2 meters are for, to measure the ppm in the atmosphere. Anything that produces Co2 works. It's the knowledge & techniques of the user that lead to faulty outcomes.

Like I said Co2 is tricky, and harder to manage. These methods help me constantly stay at a ppm range of 700-1250ppm (I control the ppm of course). I don't just say they work. I can digitally check my ppm levels at anytime, and these methods have worked perfectly for me.
If it works perfectly fine for me, and not for you... then you obviously have done something wrong.

Saying these don't work is a lack of experimentation and trial and error. If they work for me, and I can measure the carbon dioxide levels directly, and accurately, ...and have seen the proof in and out for years, ... than it can work for anyone. Especially novices, and people not looking to spend a lot of money.

They work. You just have to do it right.

So Byodynamic....how do you measure and regulate your c02? I'm intersted in hearing this as I have tried all these hmoemade methods, with little to NO improvements in yeild....I think one is much better concentrationg on better ventilation, bringing in fresh c02 enriched air, than messing with these c02 buckets, vinegar and bakeing soda, yeist and sugar methods...there is just no way to regulate it...trust me I tried them all. You would need many many 2 liter bottles to produce the amounts you would need for even a 4' x 4' area. I'm interested in hearing your proof.

I find the same results as LF. I own a large propane co2 producer and occasionally run tanks. Using home made methods, although maybe effective in smaller grows, has proven to be an insufficiant way to supply and more specifically monitor levels in my situation as well.

CO2 generators are a waste? I am telling you right now, you can run your pucks and homemade goofball stuff vs generator. No contest, bro. Hence 750-1200ppm. Now i want to light those pucks up with monitor and see what the ppm can achieve.

Latest posts

Back