HELP finding strain that works OUTDOORS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan johnson

Reaction score
LOOKING FOR SEED BANK/BANKS that deliver QUALITY strains. I have a few seasons of harvest that, 4 me, have been less than Great. I've tried over a dozen strains from both BC & Amsterdam. The most disturbing problem is getting these strains that are "supposed to" finish by my areas 1st frost of Oct.1st. Next problem is Bud Mold. Big Buds are impressive to the beginner or to buyers, BUT, too many problems arise with fox tail buds.[corn borers]
I'm looking for a GOOD QUALITY strain. One that produces even a little above average smoke. Solid tight buds is what I seek. is it possible to find a strain that delivers an up or speedy high, giggles are a plus. Anybody KNOW of a strain that can give a respectable return of good looking nugs that, are potent, taste good, and do good for both the grower & the smoker? I thought last years trial of 10 new strains would give me 1 or 2 possibles for following years. I was not successful. I MUST DO BETTER!
HELP from anyone would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, My next strain suggestions to myself are Blueberry and THUNDERF#CK. My location is somewhere along the USA latitude line of 45*. My guess is that the sun follows this latitude line so everyone along this line receives the same sun exposure and frost times as well. Or am I wrong?

climate not only has to do with lat and lon, its the jetstreams as well.

The attitude seedbank that advertises here is a great provider of genetics in your range.

BB can be harder to grow and clone but should be fine outdoors. thunderfk is a good strain as well.

There are only a couple of strains that dont do as well outside due to mold/ powdery mildew issues but every season outdoors is different.

WW is good smoke and outdoors will do well.

if you want tight nodes try supercropping, it works great!!!

research research research, theres alot of info in the grow resources here and the search feature can help too...

goodluck!!!

nathan johnson said:
LOOKING FOR SEED BANK/BANKS that deliver QUALITY strains. I have a few seasons of harvest that, 4 me, have been less than Great. I've tried over a dozen strains from both BC & Amsterdam. The most disturbing problem is getting these strains that are "supposed to" finish by my areas 1st frost of Oct.1st. Next problem is Bud Mold. Big Buds are impressive to the beginner or to buyers, BUT, too many problems arise with fox tail buds.[corn borers]
I'm looking for a GOOD QUALITY strain. One that produces even a little above average smoke. Solid tight buds is what I seek. is it possible to find a strain that delivers an up or speedy high, giggles are a plus. Anybody KNOW of a strain that can give a respectable return of good looking nugs that, are potent, taste good, and do good for both the grower & the smoker? I thought last years trial of 10 new strains would give me 1 or 2 possibles for following years. I was not successful. I MUST DO BETTER!
HELP from anyone would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, My next strain suggestions to myself are Blueberry and THUNDERF#CK. My location is somewhere along the USA latitude line of 45*. My guess is that the sun follows this latitude line so everyone along this line receives the same sun exposure and frost times as well. Or am I wrong?

No, being at the same latitude line does not mean that the weather is the same or even close. There are many other factors, like the jetstream as TOA mentioned and altitude plays a HUGE part in weather. I am at 43 degrees north and have more severe weather than many locales further north.

I hate to sound negative, but if you have tried several different strains from quality seedbanks in Amsterdam and BC and had less than good results, maybe you need to look at your growing methods (which you did not mention at all). Tell us more about how and where you grow and maybe we can help.

have you considered an auto strain?

you could harvest in August if you wanted.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No, being at the same latitude line does not mean that the weather is the same or even close. There are many other factors, like the jetstream as TOA mentioned and altitude plays a HUGE part in weather. I am at 43 degrees north and have more severe weather than many locales further north.

This couldnt be more accurate.

For example, i also live at 43 north and in another country, (Canada)

and i can garuntee of have milder weather in the winter than THG.

The jet stream is my friend.

I've done Sagarmatha Seeds Indicas XXL outdoors for the past 2 years. Very hardy and tolerant of temp swings, gave above average yield. Early finisher for me, started taking her 2nd week of Sept. Indoors she'll come in day 50-52. Nice, big body buzz.

thank you, You add confidence.
yes I believe WEATHER changes along same lat line. My question was about SUN EXPOSURE & FROST. My interest in this question is to find, or omit, strains that will or will not work in a given lat. line.I've tried White Widow with no luck of "finished" plants. I've heard of other growers having same problems with that strain. truthfully I shy from strains that "should grow" too much effort, too little space.Last year was an ODD growing season with a lot
of rain and often. Many constant cloudy days & weeks all through the middle grow season.
Gorilla gardening is challenging. Locations are few & hard to find.soils are either sand-replaced with a commercial potting mix, or low wet lands which are rich black "pete". if a low land is too low a raised system is installed. Last years crop, in that raised local, had great finish results. where as the previous year that local produced the worst results.
So do my lat questions have anything to do with choosing a strains ability to finish? Too many strains doing different things at one time, some need a certain fertilizer in the same grow spot, when others show no signs of stress.
Maybe an auto flower is a good answer. I have never worked with auto flowering plants. do they have any size to them? what kinda buzz can they give? NUTS! starting all over again. That seed list out their, has anyone seen it? HOLY BALLS! Where do ya start? .....Justa Old Dog here, learnin new tricks.... Like the internet and forums....WOW

nathan johnson said:
thank you, You add confidence.
yes I believe WEATHER changes along same lat line. My question was about SUN EXPOSURE & FROST. My interest in this question is to find, or omit, strains that will or will not work in a given lat. line.I've tried White Widow with no luck of "finished" plants. I've heard of other growers having same problems with that strain. truthfully I shy from strains that "should grow" too much effort, too little space.Last year was an ODD growing season with a lot
of rain and often. Many constant cloudy days & weeks all through the middle grow season.
Gorilla gardening is challenging. Locations are few & hard to find.soils are either sand-replaced with a commercial potting mix, or low wet lands which are rich black "pete". if a low land is too low a raised system is installed. Last years crop, in that raised local, had great finish results. where as the previous year that local produced the worst results.
So do my lat questions have anything to do with choosing a strains ability to finish? Too many strains doing different things at one time, some need a certain fertilizer in the same grow spot, when others show no signs of stress.
Maybe an auto flower is a good answer. I have never worked with auto flowering plants. do they have any size to them? what kinda buzz can they give? NUTS! starting all over again. That seed list out their, has anyone seen it? HOLY BALLS! Where do ya start? .....Justa Old Dog here, learnin new tricks.... Like the internet and forums....WOW

nate.. here's a link to sunrise sunset times world wide
hxxp://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html
..and a 'general guide' to "grow Zones".. frost zones..
hxxp://www.almanac.com/content/plant-hardiness-zones

I dont live as far north as u Nathan but we have the same problem with the rot. Last year was really bad!! Check out sensi seed Four Way. Its one of the only ones that can finish in our area.

I live about 45degrees. I have "average last frost May 1st, average last frost October 1". Most years no hard frost until mid October. Since you are growing outdoor and want everything down early, I recommend a pure Indica. I have had good luck with Northern Lights too (it did it's best with harvest mid October though). MJ will tolerate a mild frost I have found, turns the bud nice purple color. It is the hard frost/freeze that will do it the most damage. Maybe try this next season to let a few plants go past your harvest date, see how they do?

About the Autos, you wont get much size/yield from them IMO.

If you're looking for an up high and a september finish, then I recommend Kannabia Special. I grew it last year, and all plants finished by Oct. 1st. Really skunky, even had a few "lemony" ones. I bought femmed ones from the Attitude, all popped, all girls.

The AK 47 has got to be the WORLDS EASIEST plant to go big with, and it is super rot resistant. I have pushed them out to about 3.5 pounds each and they are pretty stoney. I know a dude that pushes them to around 8-9 pounds each, and they are still okay.

Anyways, those would be one I would look into if you are fighting your grow season. Good luck for sure!

Smoke big and be safe!! Cali :fly:

Cali*Style said:
The AK 47 has got to be the WORLDS EASIEST plant to go big with, and it is super rot resistant. I have pushed them out to about 3.5 pounds each and they are pretty stoney. I know a dude that pushes them to around 8-9 pounds each, and they are still okay.

Anyways, those would be one I would look into if you are fighting your grow season. Good luck for sure!

wait a minute.... "a 10 lb plant"..... I want to see pictures...
certainly not going to say it ain't so, but I've had some "monsters" that didn't surpass 3 lbs of dry bud. I'm trying to imagine one 3 times their size.. ;)

I know a dude that pushes them to around 8-9 pounds each, and they are still okay.

someone must be weighing there stuff wet LOL

Mutt said:
someone must be weighing there stuff wet LOL

i'd say so and with rocks or something to. i've never seen a 10lb plant but would love to find a strain that would produce that much consistantly.. talk about a winner!

Cali*Style said:

WHoooooa, let's rein in them ponies. AK-47 is an auto, no? How on earth are you getting 8-9 pounds from an auto? I too say show the pics.
I grow outdoors in the northstar state as well, and the best all around plant I have found is Northern lights. But there are considderations you must keep in mind, first off they need alot of air movement. If you plant them in an area that is too covered you will get mold like crazy. I've grown from Redwing to Ely, and the one constant is air circulation.
Your chances of having anything harvestable after Oct 1 are pretty slim. Once the cold rains and frost start setting your gardening days are done. My weed garden gos out at the same time as my vegitable garden and end about the same time.

Actually, I think they are using the same scales that the cops use when they catch some poor bastard....
I can see it now -- guy in cuffs watching while the cops throw the plants on the scale one at a time - rootball, dirt and all. The cops tellin' the guy they're goin' easy on him cause usually they WATER them before they wiegh them!!!

EDGY said:
Actually, I think they are using the same scales that the cops use when they catch some poor bastard....
I can see it now -- guy in cuffs watching while the cops throw the plants on the scale one at a time - pots, dirt and all. The cops tellin' the guy they're goin' easy on him cause usually they WATER them before they wiegh them!!!

And then they set a value to the plants at a rate of $700 dollars an ounce.

Oh that explains all the muti million dollar busts.

cubby said:
WHoooooa, let's rein in them ponies. AK-47 is an auto, no? How on earth are you getting 8-9 pounds from an auto? I too say show the pics.
I grow outdoors in the northstar state as well, and the best all around plant I have found is Northern lights. But there are considderations you must keep in mind, first off they need alot of air movement. If you plant them in an area that is too covered you will get mold like crazy. I've grown from Redwing to Ely, and the one constant is air circulation.
Your chances of having anything harvestable after Oct 1 are pretty slim. Once the cold rains and frost start setting your gardening days are done. My weed garden gos out at the same time as my vegitable garden and end about the same time.

noo cub's.. AK was not originally an auto.. there are some ak autos out there. But the old/real AK was not.

Hick said:
noo cub's.. AK was not originally an auto.. there are some ak autos out there. But the old/real AK was not.

Thanks for the info there Hick, but I still wanna' see pics of these massive plants.

Latest posts

Back