Think I screwed up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragracer

The Fast One
Reaction score
Well, everything was going great until I added molasses the other night. My roots got all dark colored and the plant went from doing fantastic to almost dying. I changed out the water today to try and save it. I rinsed the roots the best I could. I used 1 teaspoon per gallon, but it sure did darken the water and now my roots are dark. Anyone ever done this before?? I am in my 3rd week of flower and hope I didn't waste this grow. I should have left well enough alone, but I have to always try new stuff!!

you must of been super duper high if you put molasses in your plants:bong2:

i hope they make it...you got pictures?

I can't imagine a t per gallon would hurt anything.

Did you change anything else?

Was it unsulphured molassas?

I use molasses all the time...yes it needs to be unsulphered, and I also use the low sodium blackstrap type. I feed it at a rate of 1 tsp/gl and have never had a problem...all my plants have loved it.

Could it be something other than the molasses???

I also grow in soil...I don't know how molasses would do in a hydro situation? Is this your medium?

Yeah maybe it was the kind with sulphur in it? I hve used molasses often and never had a single problem....

Dude...go get the correct HYDROPONIC additive...DO NOT USE MOLEASSES in HYDRO just dirt. Hope it isn't too late for your goilz, bud.

Peace

7GE :D

thanks for the replies....

PH & HL- Molasses was the only thing I added other than normal nutes, and yes it was unsulphured

LF - Yes, I do DWC

7GE- Just something I thought I would try.....

I have changed out the water to flush, I rinsed the roots they seemed heavy and a darker color and am crossing my fingers and toes. It was going amazingly well for a first grow, I just hope I can salvage it...thanks again for everyones input, I will try to post some pics on my journal. :cool:

What a shame. I hope you can revive them.

Sorry to somewhat be off topic, but what is molasses? Iv heard of like hooka tobacco molases, but im not sure if its the same thing? But why would you put it in your plants? Regaurdless, I hope the your plants are all good Dragracer.

EsC420PoT said:
Sorry to somewhat be off topic, but what is molasses? Iv heard of like hooka tobacco molases, but im not sure if its the same thing? But why would you put it in your plants? Regaurdless, I hope the your plants are all good Dragracer.

It's a source of Cal, Mag, Pot. It increases microbial action in your soil.

I don't know what it does for hydro, but for this forum, it seems to increase disagreement considerably.;)

PencilHead said:
It's a source of Cal, Mag, Pot. It increases microbial action in your soil.

I don't know what it does for hydro, but for this forum, it seems to increase disagreement considerably.;)
lol thanks

hi dragracer, i have also used molassas in my dwc, but i never had problem with it. if anything it made my girls stink more but thats it. really though its for soil it has a chelating(sp) agent in it that helps the plant absorb nutes. in a dwc it only adds sugars to your water. i would flush with fresh phed water and add some h2o2 to your res. also, some pics might help. good luck and keep us posted!

try carboload... from AN if you want to add a sugar product.. and its ment for hydro or soil.. best a luck to yas
LH

legalize_freedom said:
I also grow in soil...I don't know how molasses would do in a hydro situation? Is this your medium?

Molasses is for soil, not hydro.

The microbes in the soil eat it, but roots by themselves cannot take it up. The molecules are too big.

DD

Thanks for your responses, and contrary to a few posts on here you can use molasses in Hydro if done correctly, obviuosly I did something wrong. It seemed to have caused my plant the ability to absorb through the roots. Even after flushing and rinsing they would still not absorb water or nutrients. I went a bought some Clearex reccomended by a grower friend that she uses and has had success with. I got pretty discouraged because they were doing great until I tried experimenting a little to much before knowing all the consequences. I will chalk it up to experience and hope I can salvage something from this grow and look forward to more learning on my next grow. Again thanks for everyone's input, it is much appreciated....:cool: :hitchair:

look at the ingredients on your clearex...it is sugar water to.

I noticed that too, but its is pretty diluted and Looking back I think I mixed in way to much molasses because it turned my water very brown...thanks for looking in LF, by the way have you ever used clearex? :cool:

dragracer,

If you can get some clones cut immediately if these are varieties that you will loose if they crap out on you. That way you can start them over if you want to keep them.

I sure hope that they recover, it is a shame to but that much time into them and then loose them.

dragracer said:
I noticed that too, but its is pretty diluted and Looking back I think I mixed in way to much molasses because it turned my water very brown...thanks for looking in LF, by the way have you ever used clearex? :cool:

Only 2 times...this will kill you...but my last grow I used molasses water for flushing...lol...but like I said I'm in soil, and once I go fully organic I doubt that I will even do much flushing, as I will be relying on my micro life to take care of things. Just when I got a system down I have to complicate things...but I guess that is human nature to want to learn and experiment.

Molasses is also used for feeding compost tea microbuggies, I have never tried to add molasses or other sugars directly to my soil, done correctly sugar (I don't know which, white, brown, honey, molasses) is said to augment bud weight by 20 percent when added during the last 6 weeks of flowering.

Latest posts

Back