Outside Grow- Firsty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sTuNNed oNe

Alright guys soo, I am germinating a new batch of seeds now after my other batch of seeds failed to even sprout =[. After the seeds germinate, I plan on putting them in cups filled with Miracle-Gro Moisture Control, and will be in a room with a single fluorescent light bulb. Has anyone use the Moisture Control soil? And will my one fluorescent light bulb be enough? And how long should I have the light on for them? If this turns bad with the light I may just put them outside in the spot I had last. I have a group of twenty five seeds and my last batch of twenty seeds was just put in a terrible bit of soil with roots through it all.

How are you starting your seeds?Miracle grow soil is not good for sproutlings IMO,I would use a soiless mix or something less commercial.I have had great success vegging under florescent lamps and flowering under HPS.But your gonna need more then one.I used four, four foot floro fixtures with two ecolux warm/cool bulbs in each,and the lights have to be almost touching the plants.Miracle grow soils make it difficult to gauge what your plant is receiving as far as nutes go.I did 24hr under the floros,but you can do other cycles.If I were you,I would decide now wether you want them in or out.Moving them from lights to the outside can stress them out,and turn them into herms.Currently I have about 60 lil ones in 1/2 foxfarms happy frog,1/4perlite,1/4vermiculite mix, all soaking in the sun.They are all well on their way,and will soon be transported to my area.I grow many so I don't have to bother with lights in the winter (my wifes medicine,i don't smoke) and in case of hardship I have enough for her.Stay cool and keep us posted..Good luck

Read the Resources and the stickys Then ask about what you don't understand:peace:

Okay guys, really appreciate all the help. I think I'm deciding to start them outside and keeping them out there. It just boiled down to being to hard to do at my house for the time being. There germinating right now and I'll be moving them outside as soon as it's done. And, the easiest soils I can get a hold of are...

- Miracle Gro Potting Soil
- Miracle Gro Moisture Control
- Miracle Gro Organic
- Scotts Humus and Manure
- Something called Homelite Potting Soil or something...?

And that's about all I can think of right now. I'll check back at my local store to see what other soils are there. I've also looked all over my neighborhood for Fox Farms soil, and the closest one is an hour and a half away.

Well,if that is all that is available I would get some potting soil and add some sand or perlite to it,to make it drain well.Super moist soil will damage young roots.After your plants are established you can put them in MG soil.It sux that's what is available,but you'll have to make due of course
A good rule of thumb is,to plan your grows in the off season so you will not be running around and starting late.I have all my stuff b4 the snow melts :D GOod Luck

So what if I buy the Miracle Gro potting soil, buy some perlite as well, mix the two and put them in little kinda, cardboard looking Mcdonalds carrier-looking flower pots. They look all cardboard and like the Mcdonalds or Burger King carrier for drinks. I would add the sand a couple days later. Is Miracle Gro potting soil with perlite okay for that?

Or I just get a regular potting soil, no Miracle Gro product but just a normal other potting mix.

You could go either way buy potting soil, compost, sand, perlite mix together and use it(that is what I would do) or buy MG and use it. Thats up to you, but if you do use MG you should add dolomite lime to it for a buffer agent. Just remember if you buy the 3 month feed then no extra nutes needed for that 3 months. Then when you do need to add nutes (if using MG nutes) only use 1/4 strength as it is very strong for MJ. But the choice is yours bro it's your grow, good luck...take care..

Also don't just forget about the seeds you placed out earlier in the woods. As it gets warmer and the ground temps rise there is a good chance that your seeds will still germinate if they are viable. I would keep an eye out for them you just never know. Like I told you before you just put them into the ground to "early" as the ground warms you may just find a little surprise out there waiting...take care..PS you do realize you have 2 threads running about the same thing...Peace and good luck Bro.

Thanks man, well yeah the other thread started out with my old grow though so I started a new one a couple days ago for this. And the weather has definitely turned around, it's really warm now. It's supposed to stay like this for awhile. Thanks for all the help though guys, really appreciate it, I'll keep you updated, going to the store now!

I hope all the feedback helps,Maybe you could start yourself a compost pile for next year and cut out the middle man :D be careful and good luck

Okay so this is what I got, straight up potting soil with no fertilizers or additives or anything like that. I also got little foam cups to start the seeds out in. Will I be okay to get some perlite and that should fine for the seeds until the 2nd or 3rd week when I'll have to get some plant food and some bigger flowering pots?

i have a pic in my profile with a plant grown in miracle grow potting soil.its the one that is full and round,wood container.i have since switched to foxfarm and will never go back. Foxfarm is like steroids for your girls.

I would LOVE to get some Fox Farms on my hands but it's just not available in my area and ordering it isn't an option, it sucks.

Aight, so I planted all my seeds into the little styrofoam cups but I forgot to bring water with me when I did. Is it a big deal for the soil to be watered the first day? I can prolly water it tomorrow or something and the potting soil was moist so... is it a huge problem? And how long will it be able to go without the water?

Okay so here's how things are right now. I have 23 foam cups with Homelife Potting Soil, and Miracle- Gro Perlite. The foam cups have holes in the bottoms and the cups have a had two hours worth of rain under three sunny days. After two or so weeks, I was thinking about putting in Miracle Gro Organic Plant Food, mix something with my potting soil that can fertilize. Any opinions or helpful answers?

Just wanted to say that Kelloggs planting mix is TERRIBLE. I bought some one time thinking it was good because it didn't have nuts in it. It killed all my seedlings because it molded inside the pots. I have thought about sending them a email telling them to get effed!:)

I'll try to help you. If your seedlings are doing well, I wouldn't give them any nutes yet. Transplant them into something bigger, say one gallon pots, then use 1/4 strength nutes on them and see how they react. You should get a nice burst of growth in a week after transplanting them into the bigger pots. Also, remember to let them dry well enough before transplanting, so that you don't have a bunch of wet soil break off of the plant. A perfect transplant is dry enough that it pops out of the container it's in without loosing any of the dirt/roots.

Latest posts

Back