Thai Lights (Northern Lights and Thai Haze)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high before and after

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm 12 days into growing Thai Lights from Dr. Atomic seedbanks.

I got these seeds from the Vancouver Seed Bank in Canada.

I think Thai Lights is about 75% sativa and 25% Indica.

Grow mix in those containers are made up of Miracle Gro with extra perlite.

Fertlizer to date: Schultz 10-15-10 and Seaweed fertlizer at about 25% of recommended dosage for mature plants.

Day 12

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gallery/showgallery.php?cat=766

Next update: March 22, 2010

Thanks Tact! If anyone has anything to say, say it! I will always need to learn.

These plants were only out on the sun for that day, the rest they are under flourscents, and this is why I think they are growing slowly. Nothing is better than the sun, but sunshine is relatively rare around here outside the summer.

look good so far, but i would stay away from any nutes intill 2 weeks or intill they show good roots and at that point use VARY lil nutes. Over useage at this point can stunt their growth or even kill them... I think

But all is looking so far :)

Thanks SmokeyTheBear! I'm just too eager for these little ones to grow up, the second set of leaves have been developing well, no indications of any serious stunting so far, so I'll just wait until they start to lose a bit of color, the soil is premium too though, so it should be nourished for a bit. I'm just concerned if the pot is too small, but too worried if i'll rip anything apart if I repot them as the plants are still fragile.

I plan to take clones before I sex them so I'll have a harvest in a hurry, I'll start to flower when they're about 1.5 to 2 feet tall, and only after I get some labelled clones. I want to raise males to use for breeding but I'll have to see just how feasible that will be when I start to run out of space and security.

I am building a growing container heater/cooler in an attempt to keep the growing container either warm or cool during winter or summer. In this stage of construction I have cut the bottom pieces to size. I am also working on another project, so there is no real timeline to completion.

These two black light lamps will be used for heating the space between the circular containers and are represented in their future places for easy access if I want to switch between 60, 40, or 25 watt lamps.

Only the light fixture will be exposed in the environment. The ballast will be out of the environment through a hole.

There will be a small fan within the environment to cycle the heat around and the environment will be completely enclosed except the bottom of the containers, which will drain into a pan I will set underneath this chamber, and the top of the containers will be exposed. Only the main bodies of the containers will be enclosed in this environment as airtight as possible to prevent any heat leakage but some venting might be essential.

The empty space where the saw is will be taken up by a metal drawer where I will keep the HPS lamp ballast. I have enough room to get in and close the closet door so I can work on my babies.

The top of the container box will be painted flat white to maximize lamp reflection underneath the leaves.

growroomview1small.jpg

growroomview2small.jpg

growroomview3small.jpg

Success! White Widow seedlings, nonfem, (WhiteWidowSeeds) at 1-2 days old

I planted 6, these two are the first ones to come up, one unfortunately likes his/her helmet and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to remove it :confused: One more day, I'll see if I can help it along.

whitewidow-2-seedlings-1-2daysold.jpg

HI b4&after...:ciao:

Very nice start to your grow, bud...:) Your seedlings look very healthy. They always remind me of the Count of Monte Cristo when their helmet wont come off... I've heard killer things about all of Dr. Atomic's strains so I'm looking forward to seeing your grow progress. I just grew a very sativa bagseed plant that I thought might lean toward Thai genetically when I planted the beans and sure enuf it turned out VERY Thai...;) Here's a link if you'd care to check her out:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50432

With that much sativa in the genes I'd really go light with any nute applications and that strain may do better with little to no feeding from the nute bottle especially since you're in MG soil. Is this regular MG soil with time released fertilizer in it? On the whole any soil with time release ferts is not very desirable for growing marijuana because of the lack of control it gives you over nute applications and since your plants will be harvested within 3 months there will be residual nutes in the soil til the end too. If you can find a good organic soil it would be great to transplant your seedlings into it next so that you have more control over your nutes.

Peace!:cool:

Thanks dirtyolsouth for posting! I went to your thread, that was a beautiful plant! The leaves are really long and skinny, Sativa all the way baby! I think the Thai Lights was bred to have some indica qualities so it won't get so tall. I just hope it's more sativa than indica though. I'll have a better idea once the mature leaves start to form. The leaves smell spice-like though, somewhat pine-like and another smell I can't really pin down... a vague pineapple or something, noticeably different from the skunk-jamaican I grew before. Will be interesting to smell the WW leaves to see the difference.

The Miracle-gro I used was this: http://shop2.aol.ca/ss/media/17089000/17089898.jpg I misplaced the bag somewhere, if I find it I'll look at the content makeup.

I've got tons of kitchen compost at home that I'll treat by turning it into compost tea to supercharge it and mix it with coco peat. I've mixed plain compost with my saliva divinorum plants and watered houseplants plants with liquid compost tea so I know it won't harm my MJ plants. I don't want to do chemical fertlizers since I have to reuse my soil. I didn't know about time-release fertilizers before I brought the soil.

I just give it a very dilute seaweed fertlizer watering at about 5-10% of the recommended dosage just to be sure, and it's doing great, the second set of leaves have 3 lobes and the third set is on its way. I'm not really happy with the flourscents, can't wait until I can grow it with my HPS set.

I completed the hardest part in my growroom construction: the bottom part.

I realized I made mistakes in the construction so I had to scale back size from the original picture to something a few inches smaller so I could accomodate the true bottom part, the part that would hold up the walls, so to speak.

I have decided to reserve the section on the left side, the angled section, for open-air vegging with the soil heating enclosure since it would be colder in the room except for the flowering suite.

The section on the right, the box section, would be turned into a complete, enclosed (except for ventilation) flowering suite of a height I haven't decided yet.

The flowering suite is 3.3 feet wide, 3.6 feet long, small for a 400 watt hps but... I have no real choice. I can only hope it won't be much of a waste and my buds will grow into monster colas from all the lumens, lol. :D

Second layer
DSC04697.jpg

First (bottom) layer added. Layers are added like brickwork for strength.
DSC04698.jpg

Close up view of sandwiched layers
DSC04699.jpg

'Legs' attached to bottom panel (second layer from floor) I am using 1/2 rounded wood rammed through the layers with a hammer after drilling with a very long 1/2 drill bit, two drills through each leg to secure all layers reasonably.
DSC04701.jpg

Some more tweaks, it will be very strong and secure when pressed down with all the future weight.
DSC04702.jpg
DSC04706.jpg
DSC04707.jpg
DSC04708.jpg

Yikes. And that's just the right section, The left section was just as bad.
DSC04703.jpg

Everything's all cleaned up now... Until the next time.

Not really March 22 yet, but I'm bored.

No leaves are yellow, it's just the lighting :hubba: they look healthy, some shiny spots I think was from insects, but it looks overall okay.
DSC04709.jpg

The smaller ones are days-old WW's stretching for light (they seem to stretch pretty fast) but I only have one heat pad to spare, so they have to share the same tray.
DSC04710.jpg

Latest posts

Back