DIY LED with mid power chips and no fan.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is my blue dream CBD, Coming along under the new light.both of the plants in my grow cabinet suffered while I tried dwc but then came back fairly well after going back to the dirt. As soon as this run os done I’m going to remodel the cabinet for better and easier access and I’m going to try using coco chips as a grow medium. I’m even thinking about automating the feeding system to some degree.

In the meantime, I have this bucket this going on. It uses four disassembled a19 14 watt led bulbs mounted on heat sinks and controlled by a sonoff WiFi switch as a timer. A pc fan sits on top and provides ventilation. The plant is in a one gallon cloth pot filled with coco chips.

View attachment CE984F24-771E-44F2-9EA1-2710836FB369.jpg

View attachment 973DD1B8-A7CC-457F-8E0B-D559564FEA73.jpeg

View attachment CA378DBB-2995-4C6E-9030-B881A1BB3404.jpg

The 5 gallon bucket is the veg/flower space and there is a 3 gallon bucket merged into the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket where the cloth pot sits. The height can be adjusted as needed by adding top sections of additional buckets.

I’m not familiar with that kit but I think they ship from Australia right. Check out solstrip.com, shipping from within the USA. One of the things I liked about them and I suppose it’s similar to the growmau5 stuff is you can use as many of few as you want and arrange them to fit your space and get very good coverage that should extend down into your canopy.

I'll check em out thanks RE, been watching you and bomb, lots of help on the learning curve, thank you both good info.

I'll check em out thanks RE, been watching you and bomb, lots of help on the learning curve, thank you both good info.

Here is an article by the guy behind the solstrip lights. It covers the concept that is used by several newer led company’s including the fantastic Fluence company that produces commercial grow lights like the Spyder line but using these strips, you can get as dense as you wish and design the shape of your light distribution to meet the needs of your space. The strips are only $20 each so if you decide to add more, you can.
Anywho, just a little more info...

Hey, 2RE, have you ever used COB's?

No I haven’t, I was just about to though when I found these. Not that they are any better than COB’s but they seemed simpler and fit my space well. I can keep them about 6” above the plants and cover the whole space. Maybe just wider dispersion. Both are better I think than the “blurple” stuff a lot of light makers are selling.

No I haven’t, I was just about to though when I found these. Not that they are any better than COB’s but they seemed simpler and fit my space well. I can keep them about 6” above the plants and cover the whole space. Maybe just wider dispersion. Both are better I think than the “blurple” stuff a lot of light makers are selling.

I was just curious how these compared to cobs.

BBP, Fluence makes a model called vyprx that is meant for supplemental lighting in a greenhouse. It is positioned 18" or more from canopy and works better than many COBs. Not cheap, lol.

BBP, Fluence makes a model called vyprx that is meant for supplemental lighting in a greenhouse. It is positioned 18" or more from canopy and works better than many COBs. Not cheap, lol.

Yep. They use the latest tech from leaders in the led industry. They're way overpriced though.

I reworked my bucket a bit and have my auto water/feeding going on now. One of the little sonoff switches on top controls the lights and fan while the other controls the feeding. This is a polar express autoflower in the bucket and I have the lights set for 18/6. The feeding is 4 times per day during lights on only. The black bucket underneath holds the nute solution and a pump is activated to feed thru a loop of 1/4” soaker hose around the plant. It’s growing in coco chips so it drains really well and goes right back into the black bucket. I try to check ph every day and will change as needed. These sonoff switches are kinda cool as you can control them via WiFi and you can also pre program them for up to 8 events per day.

View attachment 33B9245C-2C01-42FC-B7E6-0853BD8FCDB4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back