curing, the harvest cup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
We went to the HARVEST CUP in Worcester Ma. last week. It was a blast. There were many growers with MANY products for sale there. The competitors were light imo for the cup comparisons. The strongest strain was DAVY JONES. LISTED AT 25.3% THC. Most everything else was tested between 18 and 20% thc. I wish i had entered.
My hesitation was my terpene or bud smells were not as dank smelling as some others i had sampled in the past.
I spoke with many growers about this there. Some with their bud not nearly as nice as mine. Stink wise as well.
One guy from a company, he was their master grower. He had a golf ball sized bud laying out on a table for people to examine. It was fairly large, dense and the tric production was average. Maybe a tad better.
What had everyone drooling was the super dank smell. I really wanted to talk with him. I came back to his table (4)times to try and chat. Finally, when they rolled out the 100 foot joint, the cameras and the folks followed in turn.. Finally my shot..
When i asked him how he cured his bud he was happy to talk. After rough trimming his bud, he said he hung for two full weeks. Then trimmed the best sugar leaves and jarred his bud then. He always used the 60/60 rule.???
He further explained that he always kept his cure area at 60 degrees f. And also at 60% r.h.
This was thru the hang (dry) period as well as the final curing time. I assume a couple weeks.
These cooler temps and high r.h. is what i have also gathered from places i have read and asked re better stinks. Terpines biggest enemy is heat.

I am not sure that his bud may have turned to powder should i had broken it up. Two weeks is a lot.
The other info appeared more than sound and I cant wait to try this on the (5) ssdd clones i have going downstairs.
His bud was the most dank smelling i have ever seen, smelled even though it had been out exposed to the open air for 6 hours at least.

Thought i would share another bit.

About a year ago, a grower won best Indica, best Sativa and best Hybrid in the same cup contest. Marijuana Business Magazine wrote an article about this. He attributed his success because of his dry and cure technique.(see link below.)

https://mjbizmagazine.com/trimming-tips-taking-lt-slow/

I also spent some time with a lab guy over lunch. We discussed high thc 30% range bud. He said that a long hang time or over dried bud should score higher. He said when testing for thc, they use a 1/4 gram.
Also thc is tested BY WEIGHT, of total bud tested.
The lab guy told me that the dryer the bud,(a long hang time would do this), the more thc by weight there would be. realizing how light over dried bud weighs.
The next thc bud tests i have done at PROVERDES lab will have near identical bud other than sample A will be cured to 65% r.h.
sample B will be to 45% r.h.
also i will try the guys 60/60 rule.
excited to learn the results.

Latest posts

Back