Seattle Mayor Says Time To Legalize Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: h??p://www.examiner.com/drug-policy-in-national/seattle-mayor-calls-on-his-state-to-legalize-marijuana

This is good stuff. We need more politicians with gumpshion like this...

Seattle Mayor Says Time To Legalize Marijuana

During his State of the City address in City Council Chambers on Tuesday, Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn plainly made his feelings known about the War on Drugs and efforts to legalize marijuana in the Evergreen state [h/t Jon Walker]:
It is time we were honest about the problems we face with the drug trade. Drugs are a source of criminal profit, and that has led to shootings and even murders. Just like we learned in the 1920s with the prohibition of alcohol, prohibition of marijuana is fueling violent activity. We also know today that the drug war fuels a biased incarceration policy. The drug war’s victims are predominantly young men of color.
Seattle is the kind of place that isn’t afraid to try a different approach. We support safe access to medical marijuana and made enforcement of possession of marijuana for personal purposes our lowest enforcement priority. But we’ve learned in the past year that with the federal war on drugs still intact, and with our kids still getting gunned down on the streets, we need to do more.

I know every one of the city council members sitting to my left and right believe as I do: it’s time for this state to legalize marijuana, and stop the violence, stop the incarceration, stop the erosion of civil liberties, and urge the federal government to stop the failed war on drugs.

Mayor McGinn is absolutely right here, and it’s refreshing to see a politician speak candidly about the true impact and cost of drug prohibition, especially to black Americans.

McGinn’s city actually makes for an interesting case study. Fascinating research published in 2003 by University of Washington professor Katherine Beckett shows just how perverse drug war enforcement efforts really are.[1] Beckett’s research focused on the question: 

...is there a racial disparity between those arrested for delivering cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and ecstasy (MDMA) and the racial composition of those actually delivering these controlled substances in Seattle? Specifically, are blacks over-represented, and whites under-represented, among those arrested for delivery of these substances given the rate at which they appear to actually engage in drug delivery? 

Using results from self-report surveys, Beckett discovered that a substantial majority of serious drug users in Seattle are white, whereas blacks represented a much smaller proportion. Those participating in the surveys indicated that they typically bought drugs from someone of the same race/ethnicity. In fact, survey results taken from individuals participating in a Seattle needle exchange program indicated that they were much more likely to purchase drugs from someone who was white rather than black. Of those surveyed in the exchange program, 51.6% claimed they made their most recent drug purchase from someone who was white, compared to 14.4% who identified making their most recent purchase from someone who was black. 

All the evidence led Beckett to determine that, “…the majority of those who deliver serious drugs in Seattle are white, and that a much smaller percentage of those who do so are black.”

However, according to data from Seattle Police records, arrests for the crime of drug delivery skews heavily toward blacks. Between January 1999 and April 2001, 62.6% of those arrested for delivering drugs were black, while only 19% were white. It’s plain to see that blacks were over-represented amongst those arrested for the crime of drug delivery in Seattle.
So what explains this stark disparity in drug delivery arrests? Beckett points to the convergence of several different types of police practices that result in this discrepancy, such as a pre-occupation with targeting cocaine and buy-bust operations – none of which Beckett determines to be race-neutral. Most notable though, was the extensive focus by Seattle police on racially heterogeneous open-air drug markets largely frequented by blacks. Beckett’s research found that law enforcement paid significantly less attention to the outdoor drug markets dominated by white drug users and sellers – sometimes with a complete absence of any police activity patrolling white dominated open-air drug markets.
While McGinn certainly deserves applause for his public stance on the War on Drugs, Beckett’s research shows that the problem goes much deeper than just marijuana legalization. There’s no doubt that legalizing marijuana will be a solid first step on the road toward greater drug policy reform. It’s also likely to change attitudes and foster greater support for full drug legalization when the comically absurd claims of drug warriors fail to materialize. 

Looking at recent polling, it seems likely that McGinn’s home state may be the first to take that step and legalize marijuana. But as Beckett’s research shows, it’s imperative to end drug prohibition completely in order to eliminate the ominous enforcement maladies it yields. Legalizing marijuana is just one step in that process – one very important step.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Seattle mayor calls on his state to legalize marijuana - National drug policy | Examiner.com h??p://www.examiner.com/drug-policy-in-national/seattle-mayor-calls-on-his-state-to-legalize-marijuana#ixzz1nhEH6oyX

:clap::woohoo::clap:

that's what I'm talkin' about, 4u :cool2:

We need more politicians that are willing to speak like this and not be afraid to do so.:aok:

Nice post and thanks 7g:)

Heres a man that should be ruinning for President. He's got my vote

Barney Frank is another one who speaks his mind. To bad he retired.

Yep true Roddy but that the story of all politicians they run on one thing get ellected and get to Washington where the Invert Brass then tell them how they will do the job.

I think it's more the lobbyists and the favors they curry that actually change the politician in DC...

Sounds pretty positive to me -- I think I'll look for a small piece of land in Wa. this summer. My family resides in or near Coeur d' Alene, Id, and that's just thirty miles from WA. I could be near family and be legal as well -- the future is looking bright indeed :)

Think they will just make it legal in Seattle, or will the whole state of Washington be legal?

Most positive thing I've heard in a long time. Washington is the bomb!!!!

THE whole state. I-502 is the measure...Hemper you're welcome to visit the south sound when you're here as well, bud. We got Tacoma HempFest :hubba:

I do have a little history in Washington -- I was once married there. It lasted about a month and then was anulled -- long story, but I was lucky to get out of there alive, lol. All water under the bridge now though. South Sound sounds soothing, and a Hemper ought to be at a "Hempfest," don't ya think? Thanks for the invite -- when?

Peace

the last one was June 25th 2011, so I assume it's in June around that time.

here's the website: hxxp://tacomahempfest.com/

and the facebook page: hxxp://www.facebook.com/TacomaHempfest#!/TacomaHempfest?sk=info

Latest posts

Back