Question on males

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bi0phreak420

Reaction score
So with all the goodies i got from the Tude im sure im gonna have some males. My question is rather than just chop the males I was thinking of growing them out to get more seeds of that strain since I only have 1 seed of certain strains..how far away does the males have to be away from the females so they don't get pollinated and is this something that i shouldn't try since im a n00b...lol

i keep mine a few rooms away once it starts producing pollen sacks. just don't go around your ladies after being in with the males. pollen can ride in on your clothes and hands etc etc. i make sure i always check my females first then the males. easier than changing clothes and such. good luck and do some reading on pollen collection. lots of good info

any central air system or even a fan can circulate the pollen as well, I'd be very careful.

I agree ..Safest place is the next state over...Reason I say not just because of central air movement..but just you yourself will carry stray pollen in to the room ..just by looking in on the Male....If ya have a grow buddy..maybe ask him to set up a closet just for the male....just my thaughts

take care and be safe
:48:

So do male plants produce seeds or do you have to pollinate a female to get seeds

pollen from the male spred over the female ..1 grain pollen ..1 pistil=1seed

Only female pistils that have had male pollen can make a seed

bi0phreak420 said:
So with all the goodies i got from the Tude im sure im gonna have some males. My question is rather than just chop the males I was thinking of growing them out to get more seeds of that strain since I only have 1 seed of certain strains..how far away does the males have to be away from the females so they don't get pollinated and is this something that i shouldn't try since im a n00b...lol

If you only have 1 seed of certain strains and get a male, the best you can do is use the pollen to pollinate a female from another strain and get a hybrid (males do not produce seeds). If you wanted to keep the strain, you are going to need both a male and a female of that strain.

I would encourage you to do some more reading if you are considering breeding.

Yeah i dont feel comfortable trying to breed them so i cause ill just grow the females .I was just trying to keep from having to order seeds again

bi0phreak420 said:
Yeah i dont feel comfortable trying to breed them so i cause ill just grow the females .I was just trying to keep from having to order seeds again

Do you have space to dedicate for a mom chamber? Keeping a mom(s) is a great way to not have to rely on seeds. I love running from clone. You know what you are dealing with pheno wise and you can veg for however long you like before flipping them. It is a nice way to shorten the whole process. No more waiting for them to show become sexually mature. Jmo

I do the same, about two weeks into their veg I clip one clone off each plant and keep going like that.

I also take my males outside and collect pollen then i sectionally apply it with bags and a paint brush and it works like a charm. The hard part is understanding the pheno and geno equations to find out exactly what you want or what direction you're heading when crossing two strains.

Latest posts

Back