March 14th is Pi Day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieRsquare

Reaction score
3/14 is Pi Day each year! (Get it? 3.14) Pi has been extended to 3.2 trillion digits so far with no end in sight.

π (sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean space; this is the same value as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. It is approximately equal to 3.141593 in the usual decimal notation.

The constant is also known as Archimedes Constant, although this name is rather uncommon in modern, western, English-speaking contexts. Many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering involve π, which is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants.

π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends or repeats. It is also a transcendental number, which implies, among other things, that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value; proving this was a late achievement in mathematical history and a significant result of 19th century German mathematics.

Throughout the history of mathematics, there has been much effort to determine π more accurately and to understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into non-mathematical culture.
The Greek letter π, often spelled out pi in text, was adopted for the number from the Greek word for perimeter "περίμετρος", first by William Jones in 1707, and popularized by Leonhard Euler in 1737.

What about that guy who can recite 15k+ digits from memory!
I can do 4 digits from memory.

screwdriver said:
What about that guy who can recite 15k+ digits from memory!
I can do 4 digits from memory.
I'm afraid I'd have to see that 15K one in person to believe it. If true, it's a remarkable memory feat. There is no order or pattern to use.

I remember recounting to my sons as they were growing up how Buckminster Fuller came up with the idea for the geodesic dome. He was walking along a beach and saw bubbles forming from the waves breaking, and thought how does nature create a perfect sphere if pi is a never ending number? Of course, nature does not make perfect circles or spheres, it only approximates them. :p;):D

PieRsquare said:
3/14 is Pi Day each year! (Get it? 3.14) Pi has been extended to 3.2 trillion digits so far with no end in sight.

π (sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean space; this is the same value as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. It is approximately equal to 3.141593 in the usual decimal notation.

The constant is also known as Archimedes Constant, although this name is rather uncommon in modern, western, English-speaking contexts. Many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering involve π, which is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants.

π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends or repeats. It is also a transcendental number, which implies, among other things, that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value; proving this was a late achievement in mathematical history and a significant result of 19th century German mathematics.

Throughout the history of mathematics, there has been much effort to determine π more accurately and to understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into non-mathematical culture.
The Greek letter π, often spelled out pi in text, was adopted for the number from the Greek word for perimeter "περίμετρος", first by William Jones in 1707, and popularized by Leonhard Euler in 1737.

You must be a hoot when you'e stoned. I can't immagine being with someone like you if you were stoned and contemplative. I'd probably beat you to death with a shovel and bury you in the back yard.

cubby said:
You must be a hoot when you'e stoned. I can't immagine being with someone like you if you were stoned and contemplative. I'd probably beat you to death with a shovel and bury you in the back yard.
Ha! I don't talk much about the things I study unless they're the topic of discussion. Also, never forget that the other guy might have a shovel also and there might be a hole in the yard that you'd fit in.

Latest posts

Back