What should I feed my worms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENIE_420

Reaction score
Hey what's up guys and gals? I was reading the stickies above for organics and one said to avoid feeding the worms "N" and strong "flavours" like onion, chilles, garlic, and citrus.
Right now my wormbed's main diet is citrus and fruits, 70% citrus and 30% fruits such as apples, blueberries, blackberries, avocados, grapes, and tea bags.
I'm going to lay off on the citrus and add egg shells, what else should I feed the worms to end up with well rounded nutrient castings?

coffee grinds ;) and dont furgets oatmeal ;) and anything else my stomach can handle

BWD

i dry fruit n veggy scraps from the kitchen for a few days and cut or tear up into small pieces. family of 4 should keep 1-2 bins fed, easily.

Coffee grounds and the filters, tea bags, egg shells, paper, almost any kitchen scraps. The admonishment against citrus, onions, etc is that they simply do not like those foods. Nothing wrong with egg shells, they just take longer to turn into poo. I try to cut everything small or chop it coarsely in a blender before my worms get it. I have never heard anything about not giving them N--what is the purpose of no N?

I don't know why you wouldn' want them to have N either, I was going off what the post said. Are you saying that the worms don't like the citrus? I don't know about that, I started my wormbed for the purpose of fishing, when it comes time to dig for some worms all I have to do is pickup a rotten half of an orange and there's enough inside for a trip.

table scraps
shredded junk mail
perlite
coconut coir
kelp
alfalfa
rock phosphate
ground oyster shell
greensand
dried cannabis leaves, stems, and roots

citrus shouldn't be more than 5% of your bin. I always through green trimmings in on top from the garden. I think it insulates them and they end multipling faster and decomposing. I through the trim on top that I don't use for tincture and they love that. egg shells good. cal-mag my friend. if they don't break it down then something will when you put a cup in your soil below your plants or a top dressing. if you keep the high acid out like every one has been saying you will be alright
the high N probably refers to manures with high salt content that accures when breaking down. salts bad

Latest posts

Back