super soil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShOrTbUs

Reaction score
how come no 1 uses ffof as a base for a super soil mix? i know it already has nutes in it, but is it not all organic?

Expensive, gnats, other bugs, not aerated enough. Pro-mix, sunshine #4 or peat bales and make your own base is best.

I used it as a base 3 years ago. Still using it.

I can't get it around here unless I go to a hydro store and I don't like to do that. My local HD has an organic soil that I really like--Kellogg's Patio Mix is what I believe it is called. It also has a few goodies thrown in, but never burned seedlings.

got some more questions.

so i've been looking at organic ferts & amendments. there are so many different options to choose from.

how do you know which to use?
i know different ones provide different things, but there are so many different choices for each macro/micro nutrient.

do certain amendments work better then others?
for instance guano for N & guano for P, as opposed to blood meal for N & bone meal for P

what is the purpose of worm castings?
from what i saw they provide n,p,&k but not in large amounts. at the same time, i see them added in almost every ss. what is it about worm castings that make them so popular?

p.s. more questions to come :)

Different amendments break down at different speeds. A good super soil will have additions that break down at different rates so that your plant gets nutrients the entire grow. I do not know the speed with which everything breaks down and exactly what it has in it, which is why I copied NV's super soil last summer when I did organics. However if you want to create your own super soil, there are many sites out there that will give you the nutrients in different amendments and the speed with which they break down.

Worm castings provide more than nutrients. This is a good article on the benefits of worm castings. hXXp://www.stclareseeds.com/worm-castings/benefits-worm-castings.html

Used FFOF and homemade compost have been the base for my supersoil. I too used Nouvelle Chef's recipe and have been very happy with it. Love it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Different amendments break down at different speeds. A good super soil will have additions that break down at different rates so that your plant gets nutrients the entire grow. I do not know the speed with which everything breaks down and exactly what it has in it, which is why I copied NV's super soil last summer when I did organics. However if you want to create your own super soil, there are many sites out there that will give you the nutrients in different amendments and the speed with which they break down.

Worm castings provide more than nutrients. This is a good article on the benefits of worm castings. hXXp://www.stclareseeds.com/worm-castings/benefits-worm-castings.html

great read THG thank you for that.

skullcandy said:
I don't know how to make a super soil

I didn't either. I used NV's recipe. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

are there any guides to building your own ss? or is it all trial and error?

yes, and the info was great. i'm going to use the chefs ss, but at the same time there's a sense of accomplishment when creating something you can call your own. so i'm just looking for as much info as i can get my hands on about organic soils and such

Basically the more you add in, better your chances are of a lush green plant come harvest time, heavy with buds. One misstep with making your own mix and letting the plant fall behind in nutrient uptake, takes forever to fix it. Usually when the plant is in flower, its obv sucking up all the nutrients you put in early on. If it runs out in flower, your in deep trouble. At least that has been my experience with organic runs.

nouvellechef said:
Basically the more you add in, better your chances are of a lush green plant come harvest time, heavy with buds. One misstep with making your own mix and letting the plant fall behind in nutrient uptake, takes forever to fix it. Usually when the plant is in flower, its obv sucking up all the nutrients you put in early on. If it runs out in flower, your in deep trouble. At least that has been my experience with organic runs.

feeding with tea's wont remedy this?

duck, your link keeps bringing me back to this thread

Opps sorry :eek:

I have corrected the link ShortBus

thanks for the link duck, much appreciated :48: here ya go

Latest posts

Back