starting outdoor plants indoors question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemphopper

Reaction score
Is it possible to start seedlings indoors and sex them and plant outdoors

Yes it is, it takes a while to sex maybe 5-8 weeks depending on the strain.

And doing so should I try and keep the amount of hours of light the same as when I plan on planting them outside, in the beginning and drop it down a few hours to start them showing sex, then take the hours back up to get them back in the veg. cycle. Im just trying to avoid growing male plants all summer for nothing.And at this time I am unable to do clones, and would be using reg. mango seeds. Appreciate the information

I don't know how to do that, but there will be others that do. I had my only od grow last year and they all reveged and then bloomed and they were a mess. I am hoping to learn from your post how to do it so that doesn't happen..

You will need to sex them before putting out as you are right, you don't want a male outdoors pollinating the lady Mangos. Good luck on your grow, and I will be reading along. Thanks for asking the question.

I don't know how to do that, but there will be others that do. I had my only od grow last year and they all reveged and then bloomed and they were a mess. I am hoping to learn from your post how to do it so that doesn't happen..

You will need to sex them before putting out as you are right, you don't want a male outdoors pollinating the lady Mangos. Good luck on your grow, and I will be reading along. Thanks for asking the question.
You are welcome rosebud, yes its a bummer to take the time and care to raise a plant to turn out to be a male at the end, Id say its better to start with fem. seeds in the first place. but was unable to place and order this year, and I have found in the past , that a few generations of the same strain, kind of climaties to the growing conditions, and do better each year.

I don't use femmed seeds my self... I have a couple of plant that just wont tell me what they are.... and I am tired of looking. lol

not GSC crosses are they rose? seems a rather shy strain ;) :D

curious why you can't do clones at this time hemphopper?
if you could, a good way would be; grow em for a bit, then clone em before the moms go outdoors.. and when they do adjust the light schedule to see what sex the clones are. *everything being labelled ofcourse.

is that doable? or does the veg area have to stay as a veg area through the spring/summer?

other than that, i think you're stuck waiting for maturity. unless you want to start blooming then reveg them.

as for rose's reveg Q.. don't know for sure, but i run my veg lights on 19/5 and seldom have problems with things blooming or re-vegging on me.
guess it depends how early you put em out too.

not GSC crosses are they rose? seems a rather shy strain ;) :D

curious why you can't do clones at this time hemphopper?
if you could, a good way would be; grow em for a bit, then clone em before the moms go outdoors.. and when they do adjust the light schedule to see what sex the clones are. *everything being labelled ofcourse.

is that doable? or does the veg area have to stay as a veg area through the spring/summer?

other than that, i think you're stuck waiting for maturity. unless you want to start blooming then reveg them.

as for rose's reveg Q.. don't know for sure, but i run my veg lights on 19/5 and seldom have problems with things blooming or re-vegging on me.
guess it depends how early you put em out too.
I guess the main reason would be time frame, time is ticking away, but your suggestion is a very good idea. By cloning and find out later whos the females in the group, and eliminate the males.

They are GSC crosses Kaotik.... how did you know?

19/5 sounds like a great idea, thank you.

I dont like revegs and am afraid i may be up with this problem.
I have 3 clones and several from seed thats been under 24 hr lights.
Its daylight at 7 and dark at 8 in my area.
I need to move outdoors in holes by mid April to May.
Will they reveg ??
Can i kick the lights to 16/8 or ??

tough call. i wish i could confidently say no and tell you to giv'er rebel.. but i honestly don't know if dropping it now would flip them.

i would lean to no if you did it slow.. but because i can't be 100% sure on that, i don't want to lead you astray. i've never tried dropping from 24 to 18 myself.
i'm sure someone has though..

like i say, educated guess is it should work.. but i'm not going to say it WILL work without having tried it myself first ;)

as for GSC rose, just a guess.. i know that's going around our little circle at the moment, and i too am sitting here sexing things i started almost a month later.. and still waiting for the shy GSC to show ;)

I'm doing it with seedlings as we speak...I do it every year...for my outdoor grow..and switching from 24/0---18/6 won't hurt them at all..it'll slow growth...still will be in veg...

I'm doing it with seedlings as we speak...I do it every year...for my outdoor grow..and switching from 24/0---18/6 won't hurt them at all..it'll slow growth...still will be in veg...
How long do you grow the seedlings before cutting back the time to determine sex, And is it okay to keep them at 14 /10 , reduce to 12 to trigger, sexing, crank light back to 14/10 to start veg. so when you plant outdoors the hours kinda match the outdoor hours of light.

How long do you grow the seedlings before cutting back the time to determine sex, And is it okay to keep them at 14 /10 , reduce to 12 to trigger, sexing, crank light back to 14/10 to start veg. so when you plant outdoors the hours kinda match the outdoor hours of light.

It's more of how big as opposed to how long, with seeds the growth rate will vary due to genetic strength per seed...with that being said, I'll let them get 8-10 inches tall then flip...as the shorter ones reach "sexing" height they get added to the 12/12 sexing cycle...once sex is determined, transplant into its final pot and in the greenhouse they go...

As far as 14/10... Never tried, I go from 24/0 straight to 12/12 for sexing...

The ones in the one gals(Blk pots)will 12/12 next week, by then they'll be at the height I like for sexing..pic was taken right after transplanting, so their showing a lil transplant shock(slight droop to the leaves)...72hrs, they'll be back perky...

View attachment image.jpg

The ones in the one gals(Blk pots)will 12/12 next week, by then they'll be at the height I like for sexing..pic was taken right after transplanting, so their showing a lil transplant shock(slight droop to the leaves)...72hrs, they'll be back perky...
Thats one awesome set up, plants look great, keep us updated, and pictures coming.

Latest posts

Back