Butane testing thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm concerned as much as anyone about unwanted chemicals in the body. How many drink diet sodas on here? Doing away with aspartame would do everyone as much good including me, but do we worry?

dirt

dirt and more said:
Better check the MSDS sheet on this butane. Doesn't give % of ingredients as other products. Easy to find on ebay
Label says near zero impurities.

dirt

What is missing in the discussion, is perspective. The bigger question is what are the impurities?

Since the answer is oleaginious waxes, propane, cyclopropane, and isobutane, which have low toxicitity, are we really debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Graywolf said:
What is missing in the discussion, is perspective. The bigger question is what are the impurities?

Since the answer is oleaginious waxes, propane, cyclopropane, and isobutane, which have low toxicitity, are we really debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Remember George Carlin?

"Newsflash . . . scientists have discovered that saliva causes cancer!! . . . . but only when taken in small doses, over a looong period of time . . . "

:rofl:

How about using ether instead of butane? pros and cons? Availability? Purity? End product? Been considered on as an option on this forum in the past?
dirt

dirt and more said:
How about using ether instead of butane? pros and cons? Availability? Purity? End product? Been considered on as an option on this forum in the past?
dirt

Sorry, never tried diethyl ether, but it would clearly work. It is polar, and based on the ethane molecule, as is ethanol. It just has the oxygen molecule in the middle, as opposed to on one end like ethanol.

Availability here, is about the same as other reagent grade solvents, as is the purity. I've read that it can produce a nice end product, but have no personal experience.

May I clarify? The molecule would actually be butane, without the oxygen molecule in the middle, but the oxygen splits the four carbon butane atom into two, two carbon ethyl atoms, hence the di ethyl name.

dirt and more said:
i'm concerned as much as anyone about unwanted chemicals in the body. How many drink diet sodas on here? Doing away with aspartame would do everyone as much good including me, but do we worry?

dirt

I do, so I don't drink aspartame.

dirt and more said:
dirt

I have mentioned it a few times on this forum, and I actually have done a number of cannabis oil extractions with diethyl ether . . . in the distant past . . . so I will tell you everything I can

What I had was laboratory reagent-grade 99.99% pure ether in a 4 liter aluminum can . . . the average joe can't just go pick this stuff up somewhere, it was purchased from a scientific chemical supply company, and it would have required proof of lab certification in order to . . . order . . . . . . it also became known in the 80's that people were using ether to freebase cocaine, and that caused a clamp-down on availability, so that is the biggest drawback . . . you almost need to know somebody who is an authorized purchasing agent at a certified laboratory or industry to get your hands on a can of it.

The pro's are many . . . butane is much more volatile - it explodes easier with its lower ignition point, and it has a boiling point below room temperature when at normal atmospheric pressure. The ether didn't need to boil off like butane does - it just gently evaporated - but it was plenty quick enough for me (a liter would evaporate in less than an hour) . . . you also seem to get very happy all the sudden while you're working with it - but not quite happy enough to light up a cigarette !! :eek:

I remember one extraction I did up in the attic of my home in the middle of the winter . . . this was in the early 90's . . . freezing cold, dry air up there . . . so I set the extract next to an open window with a fan blowing the fumes out, and this stuff evaporated so cold and so fast that it formed little ice crystal castles (kinda like the ones you grow on charcoal in 7th grade science class) sticking out horizontally from the sides of the pyrex dish I had it poured into !!

When it was dry I brought it downstairs . . . and as it warmed, the ice crystals melted and the last bit of ether evaporated . . . and the beautiful amber oil drizzled down the sides and into the bottom of the dish . . . just fantastic looking stuff . . . pure and very delicious . . . smoked in a pyrex pipe by heating the glass, it had a sweet bubblegum taste and a rip-roaring high . . . the batches where a bit of fine plant sediment got thru resulted in a soft, pliable, oily brown ball of thc that you could pick up and knead with your fingers . . . we called it "silly putty" !!

Hexane is even less volatile than ether, and perhaps not so difficult to obtain . . . but if I could get my hands on some ether again, it would be my number one choice - without a doubt !! :joint:

I have used colibri butane for all my oil. seems to be very pure and clean.

maybe I know no different but it always comes out a beautiful amber and not taste of butane at all.

I haev done it all with a glass cake pans.

I have 2 cake pans, one is smaller than the other so that they can fit inside each other.

I run my butane through my tube into the smaller cake pan, once all cans have been run through I put the smaller cake pan into the larget cake pan and I pour hot tap water in the larger cake pan, that creates enough heat to boil off all liquids ( some times I need to do this twice as the water cools down)

once done I scrape it out with a blade :)

FYI, I do my in the garage with the door crracked for ventilation.

dirt and more said:

dirt

ether extracts aren't done a lot because it takes longer to purge off all the contams, its a highly volatile, flammable liquid(solvent thats usualy used for liquid, liquid extractions) and harmful to the skin making it more hazardous to handle.
also because ether isnt a complete non polar solvent, although it is low polarity, its not as low as butane.

vector and power5x is what i usualy run with but ive used many.
with bho its all about the purge, which most people dont do enough and leave it an oily sticky unhealthy mess that will slowly kill you if steadily consumed...(most people dont use vacuum pumps and arent that educated about it. takes 8hours to a few days to get all the butane completely out)
i do a low heat purge as im running and continue with the heat as i vac.
i can make it come out whatever consistency i want. doughlike, looking something like cookie dough... white crumbly honeycomb, completely clean see thru jelly, hardened bright yellow foam, all types of wax, amber glass "shatter".
i do oil runs every few days making anywhere from an eighth to an ounce+ of errl each run.

:bump: where the hell is OGKushman . . . . aint seen his azz since he got married last June:confused: THIS THREAD MUST NOT DIE !!

:48:

Is hexane good for BHO? I have seen it in the paint store in a liquid, so I would think it would be easier to work with but harder to purge.

Good read. Here are my thoughts. BHO nomatter how you purge it will still contain impurities. If you don't mind smoking butane and other impurities in your thc then go for it. If you want something more pure you could do a ISO extract and smoke dabs of ISO oil. I think ISO extract has less impurities than BHO due to the fact that you are extracting with 100% pure alcohol. I think the alcohol evaporates out of the extract leaving less impurities in the oil. Ever vacuum purge ISO extract? I never understood why people would do BHO extract and then purge with ISO. Why not just extract with ISO in the first place.

IMO the most pure extraction process would be through kief. Tumble it, shake it, whatever. You use no chemicals to extract the THC, you simply freeze them and catch them when they break off. The kief remains 100% pure. If you go water extraction with bubble bags its basicly the same thing just as a wet extraction. I prefer dry kief because i can then make it into whatever texture i want. You can leave it as a powder and sprinkle it into your bud when you role it or into a bowl. You can make a tincture with it and put a drop on whatever or just a drop under your tounge. You can make infuse it with butter, honey, oil. You can also press it and heat it to make it more gewy for dab hits. But it stays pure.

Just my thoughts on it all. =)

Theres places in Alaska where people are driven to huff hairspray.
Bums drink listerine.
Some people in arab countries huff Butane.
How much butane do you inhale when you use a butane lighter to light your bowl?
How many of the impurities get deposited into your smoking piece?
What temp does marijuana vaporize compared to the impurities?
How fast does butane trapped in your extract escape when burned, faster than you inhale lighter fluid from lighting the extract in the first place?
What happens when you drive behind a giant diesel big rig?
Why do asians wear masks when holding a warm moist thing infront of your face breeds bacteria unless its someones crotch?
Unless of course, they're blue waffling.

Think this butane hype is like global warming, caused by the sun, misrepresented by 'skkkientists' and really has no cause for alarm.

effdecaf said:
Think this butane hype is like global warming, caused by the sun, misrepresented by 'skkkientists' and really has no cause for alarm.

If you think Global warming is not real, you must never have watched Chasing Ice.

NorCalHal said:
If you think Global warming is not real, you must never have watched Chasing Ice.

Isnt that a hollywood movie? Does it indirectly support wealth redistribution in the form of carbon credits?

The movie lists the credentials of a lot of researchers, I don't have the patience to research their political and financial obligations or contributors.

Deep sea ice researchers might have an answer towards trends but I petition you this:

What, on this Earth, has never been produced from it, and contributes towards a significant change towards the total state of what the Earth intends for itself. Do we even know what Gaia wants?

Diamonds? Gold deposits? Meteor impact sites?

I guess the ice age was a pretty significant event.

How badly has the nuclear meltdown in Fukushima affected ocean life? Other than tiny increases in isotopes in dilutions that are not significant towards genetic manipulation, the ocean kinda ate up all that runoff and hasn't spit out four headed sharks...

I still enjoy the effects of BHO as well as many other types of hash, and have not had any ill effects from 10+ yrs of smoking BHO off and on, while attaining two degrees.

I petition that BHO has less ill effects than living in a transportation based urban area. I'm fairly certain things like the Cali rim fire and other natural occurrences spew tons of "emissions" that the EPA, FDA, CIA, and hollywood would deem EVIL.

SF would rather go without water than to create more dams.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this-> A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

Now, I'm with you on folks, including researchers, having hidden agenda's.
That was something I have not looked into at all in regards to the making of that flick.

Take a look at the Ice core data from the last 400,00 years, and you will see clearly that we are on a cusp, ready for a big fall in regards to CO2 levels and global temps. What this means is anyone's guess, as it has been over 100,000 years since the last fall in temps and CO2 levels.

As far as BHO, toke it up my friend. I personally dislike it and prefer fat joints of my homegrown. Is it bad for you? Who is to say, as the process is very different from hash maker to hash maker.
I don't always smoke hash, but when I do, I prefer Cold Water.

At the end of the day, I do agree with you, Hal. Doing the ether oil was fun, and I've looked into trying butane or hexane too.

But no matter what extraction method, I think for me nothing is gonna beat the aesthetics and purity of just getting out the scissors, chopping up some nice fresh bud, stuffing the zig zag man and sparkin up.

Now if OGKushman would get back in here, I might change my mind . . .

:joint:

Latest posts

Back