germinate tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blaze1@420

im reading everywhere to put the seeds in papertowels in your dresser,dont do it.because seeds need heat and radiation put them in papertowels and under your t.v they will turn out very pretty=)

Hey im not sure why would you post something that you have nio idea or proof on what you are saying, specially on your 4th POST..that is ridiculous, if you have some proof, please let me see it... but really, beware of the information you post here, if you have no proof and heard that from the ice cream guys nephews brother that supposedly heard it from the gardner that couldnt grow plants..then say it, some people might actually not know better, run to their seeds on top of their boxes take them ouit and possibly ruin some from loosing the moisture lost or light leaks etc.. (<- just an example)you just never know what the out come could end by the time some 1 gets on here and discredits the post.. and i dont wanna seem like im jumping down your throat as im not, but instead emphasize on the outcome of posting information here that people have no idea if they are true..

but anyways? RADIATION?? he must be growing in Springfield....

im not posting false info or nothin just givin a good tip cuz my uncle has done that for years and he has lots of plants that are beautiful,but as for me i have none and i would appreciate any pointers any1 could give me because i made a post saying i needed help but the germinate thing i know works perfectly.

and no im actually growing indoors in cleveland ohio.

radiation huh? That gives me an idea to plant a seed next to a powerplant. Maby itll grow into a 30 foot godzilla plant!

Easy guys/gals whatever the case maybe...We are all friends here, what works for one person may not be the best for someone else. Cannabis seeds will germinate in a wide range of temps 70F-90F. However, high temps will upset the seed chemistry and low temps will delay germination. Cannabis grows best at 78F according to Jorge Cervantes Marijuana Horticulture indoor/outdoor growers bible...

Here are some of my notes on some seeds I just finished germinating using many different technigues...I hope they help.

Seed Germination: Paper Towel Method

This will be a record for germinating seeds using the &#8220;Paper Towel Method. Using 7-14 paper towels sheets stacked up top of each other then moistened with tap water, peel back half of the paper towels and insert seeds a then put the folded paper towels with seeds into a plastic zip lock bag&#8230;I will be closing the bag air tight.

06 June @ 6:30am:
Filled a gallon pitcher with tap water and then let it stand for 36 hours, or so&#8230;Adjusted the pH to around 5.8-6.2.

07 June @ 7:37pm:
I soak the paper towels in the pH adjusted water. Dropped the folded paper towels into the water then pulled them right back out and squeezed out enough water that the paper towels do not drip. Unfolded wet paper towels and then inserted the seeds. Then placed paper towel with seeds into plastic bag, sealed the bag with a puff of air (breath) and placed it in the garage, in a dark location, where the air temps range from 75F-85F&#8230;Temp 80F

07 June @ 11:00pm:
Checked for any early cracks and sprayed some water on them because they felt a little dry. I may have squeeze to much water out of the paper towels to start with. No problems, No cracked seeds. Temp 79F

08 June @ 6:30am:
No cracked seeds, Temp 77F

08 June @ 2:10pm:
No cracked seeds, Temp 78F

08 June @ 9:40pm:
One cracked seed out of Seven, Temp 77

09 June @ 10:30am:
All seeds have cracked!

It took about 36 hours for all seeds to crack&#8230;I have placed all 7 seeds in 1.5 Rockwool cubes that have been soaking in pH adjusted water for 48 hours.(Usually 24 hours is enough, got lazy) I did not use the pre-drilled holes for it is very hard to get the taproot turned down and seated at the bottom. Plus, did not want to damage the taproot so I used the a wooden stick to agitate the surface of the Rockwool cubes like soil. I then buried all seven seeds 1/8&#8221;-1/4&#8221; deep, taproot down, in the Rockwool cubes. The Rockwool cubes were then placed in a 10&#8221;x20&#8221; tray with cube holder insert.

09 June @ 6:10pm:
Seeds are in the 1.5 Rockwool cubes in a dark location&#8230;I will give them light as soon as they sprout through the Rockwool, if they do? Fingers crossed!
Temp 81

10 June 9:30am
3 of 7 seeds have sprouted&#8230;And due to a mistake on my part the entire seven seed pods are now receiving light from 4-26 watt CFL, 6500K&#8230;Due to the lights being on at the same time the heat pad was on the Temps once again shot into the 90&#8217;s, with a Temp of 93F

10 June @ 9:45pm:

No changes, 3 of 7 have sprouted and look good&#8230;Temp 82

11 June @ 7:00am:
WOW! All 7 seeds have sprouted! Temp 76

...And my little Rockwool experiment:

Seed Experiment: Using 1.5&#8221; Rockwool cubes to germinate seeds.

I am testing for the best way to germinate seeds using 1.5&#8221; Rockwool cubes w/holes. The focus of this experiment is to find out if the predrilled holes in the Rockwool cubes are best used as:

*A) they are, meaning drop the seed down the pre drilled hole(1/2&#8221; -3/4&#8221; deep) and use a small wooden stick to seat the seed at the bottom of the hole and leave the hole open.

*B) or, use the wooden stick to close the hole by agitating the Rockwool fibers as one would a growing medium such as soil, so that the seed is completely entombed or buried in the Rockwool.

*C) or, completely do away with the pre drilled hole by agitating the surface of the Rockwool cube as done in part B but prior to putting the seed in it. So that the hole is completely filled with Rockwool fibers and the surface is &#8220;tilled up&#8221; like soil&#8230;Then place the seed in the Rockwool and cover it with Rockwool fibers about 1/8&#8221;-1/4&#8221; deep in the cube.

I am using 18 1.5&#8221; Rockwool cubes that were pre-soaked in a pH balance solution, 6 cubes will be used in each Part A; Part B; and PartC&#8230;

07 June @ 4:20pm:
All 18 cubes have been placed in a 10&#8221;x20&#8221; humidity dome in a dark room. The humidity dome was placed on a &#8220;NEW&#8221; seedling heat matt.

07 June @ 6:30pm:
I may have damaged the seeds! The new heat matt shot the temp inside the humidity dome to 98F&#8230;I unplugged the NEW heat matt. The seeds were only subjected to these extreme temps for maybe 2 hours&#8230;?

07 June @ 7:07pm:
The temps with the humidity dome are back down to 80F&#8230;I will monitor the temps closely to keep them within the ideal range for germination(70F-90F)&#8230;I try to maintain 75F-80F.

07 June @ 11:30pm:
No early birds and no problems&#8230;Temp was 79F

08 June @ 6:30am:
Checked for any signs of early germination, there was none. No problems. Temp was 77F

08 June @ 1:30:
Nothing yet; Temp 78F

08 June @ 9:40pm:
One seed within group A has visibly cracked; Two seeds in group C have visibly cracked and appear to be breaking the surface of the Rockwool&#8230;Nothing in group B. Temp 76

09 June 10:30am:
No changes in regards to the seeds. I have placed the seed tray w/humidity dome back over the heating mat with 1&#8221; plastic pegs between the mat and the bottom of the seed tray. This appears to have been exactly the height needed to maintain the desired temperature range of 75F-80F. Temp 80

09 June @ 6:10pm:
Had to lift the tray higher off the heat mat, 2 inches, due to temps climbing back up to 90F! The temps are back to 81F&#8230;Will monitor closely.

10 June @ 9:30am:
What a difference a night makes! OK, in Group A there is no sprouts; in group B 1 of 6 have sprouted; in Group C 5 of 6 have sprouted; So, it appears the method used in group C is clearly the better method to use if using Rockwool for germination&#8230;Even better than the &#8220;Paper Towel Method&#8221;!
*Due to an error of mine all the cubes are now under lights, 4 26 watt CFL&#8217;s, 6500K&#8230;And the temps were in the 90&#8217;sF this AM because the heat matt was still on. Temp 93

10 June @ 9:45pm:
No changes in regards to new sprouts&#8230;However, the temp is back down to 83F.

11 June @ 7:00am:
WOW! It is clear that plants do the majority of their growing during the dark cycle&#8230;Group A 3 of 6 have sprouted; Group B 4 of 6 have sprouted; Group C 5 of 6 have sprouted. Temp 76.

Just put them in the dirt, keep it moist and voila...a plant!

bombbudpuffa said:
Just put them in the dirt, keep it moist and voila...a plant!

Bingo!

I don't know why people think they have to germinate the plant like that. In the last 2 years alone I have started over 50 plants and have had 1 or 2 AT THE MOST not to sprout.

It's simple.

Fill your cup up with loose soil.
Make a hole with your finger in the middle of the cup. (go 1 knuckle deep)
Drop a seed into the hole.
Brush dirt back over the seed, just enough to cover it. (maybe a 1/4 inch)
Moisten it with a spray mist of water. (Mist a couple times a day or more)
Leave it under 24 hour light and moist at all times.
Within 3 days you will have your sprouts.
You will have 95%+ Success rate.

TheStickyIcky said:
Bingo!

I don't know why people think they have to germinate the plant like that. In the last 2 years alone I have started over 50 plants and have had 1 or 2 AT THE MOST not to sprout.

Well, Let's see...Soil tends to muddy things up a bit using and ebb & Flow system. So, it's papertowels; Rockwool, Jiffypellets...NOT SOIL, unless it's mud pies you want instead fast growing Louisville slugger Bud's!

I hope that helps you understand why people do it that way.

Viracocha711 said:
Well, Let's see...Soil tends to muddy things up a bit using and ebb & Flow system. So, it's papertowels; Rockwool, Jiffypellets...NOT SOIL, unless it's mud pies you want instead fast growing Louisville slugger Bud's!

I hope that helps you understand why people do it that way.

I didn't know that everyone did Hydro?

TheStickyIcky said:
Bingo!

What needs to be specified? Stickyikcky said he/she did not know why folks think they "HAVE TO" germinate plants like that...He/she specified that he/she did not know why one had to and I explained why one would have to...Everything was specified, nothing else was needed.

Anymore help?:) :)

Latest posts

Back