What's in Roddy's Garden Today??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Roddy, I'd like to know a little more about how you are achieving such great yields. Are you still flowering with a 1k HPS and a 400MH? What kind of nutes are you using? How big of pots and what kind of soil? How long do you veg before flowering? Do you run any CO2?

It doesn't look like you really do any topping, popsicling, or lst, what are your thoughts on that type of thing?

I'm in a medical state with a limit on the number of plants I can grow so I'd really like to work toward similar results.

Thanks,
:)

:yeahthat: apart from the medical bit
9 1/2oz tell me more hehe

LOL, call it beginner's luck...maybe??

I am using the 1000w HPS and 400w MH, a fuorowing 125 has been used as well...off and on, mostly for body feeding the Kandy Kush. Nutes are the FF trio, but will be switching to something organic soon, not sure what as I am researching and would appreciate ANY thoughts on this.

Pots are differing, I start them in cups or butter tubs and move up from there, but I have also started straight to the big pots...not sure which I prefer. I am a firm believer in size of pot=size of yield/plant, so I like to go at least 5gal, but have used upwards of 20gal...the Kandy Kush was transplanted a few days after being put into budding due to a mole issue, she was transplanted to an 18gal tub and really showed her love for my doing this. I am a fan of the new smart pots and will be using these in various sizes, am using 10gal pots for four of my current crop.

I don't use CO2, I do leave my bud room closed for half an hour after lights on so the plants can suck up the CO2 they produced.

Vegging...as long as it takes to reach the desired height! Usually around 6-8 weeks or until around 30". The Kandy Kush was 6' tall (from pot top) at harvest, was 6'5" or so measured up stem...I did tie this one down during budding....she was something like 32" when put into budding. One thiing I think I like and will continue doing is transplanting before budding. Think about it, your plant eats up all the good the soil has in the 2 months or so of vegging, adding new soil before the 2 months of budding replenishes the goodies in the soil and likely means less nute issues/needs and a healthier plant...this is MHO though.

Soil...I love the Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, will try adding more coir to it next time though.

I topped the Northern Lights once, it produced twin tower colas. I topped the White Widow (trying to save her now) around 10 times, she is a good 3 feet around and has something like 20 colas coming up. The rest are grown as is, no training or toppings. I am training a Train Wreck right now.

Saw a friend try that lollipopping...NOT impressed. Why cut the lower branches and lose the buds?

I must say, there are much brighter people in here, I am a newb and learning as I go from everyone in here. I don't even come close to having my room set up properly, no ventilation at this time and not nearly enough lighting to meet my desires...I am adding as I can.

I have a friend who is averaging 6oz per plant, has harvested around 20 plants in the last few months....I am shooting for this average myself and am right now around 6.125 average or so.

Thanks a million for the response Roddy! All good info. I think the main thing I'll change based on your response is pot size. 18 Gal for that Candy Kush, I agree that is a big factor. I have been running 5 Gallon but I think I'll go a little bigger and see what happens.

Any time, Blackwind!

Brought the White Widow and Big Band back home after the power outage, White Widow is yellowed and looking sad, the Big Band is happy as can be. Will be watching for fly infestation though.

In the veg room, we still have our full compliment, although some are sad from the cold, we'll see how they come back! A new addition is on her way, 1 of the 3 Kandy Kush has already pushed her way through the soil and is smiling up at the T5 "sun"!! :)

While 18gal is likely a bit extreme lol, 10gal seems a nice size. Might be using more like a 7gal or even 5gal if the smart pots work well. IF they (smart pots) work like I hope, this will eliminate the need to transplant since the roots won't need new room? However, am leaving room at the top of the pots so I can add soil later in the grow, this should help regenerate the soil, maybe?

great looking grow roddy. Altough I never let my girls veg as long as you, you are getting some monster yeilds from them for sure. That NL was sick looking, the colors were very nice indeed.
Hope you find what your looking for on the organic front, once you get it setup and running well you will never look back to FF again!

I'm looking into several options including growing simply in coco coir and not caring if the nutes are killing everything in the soil (nothing in soil means nothing killed lol), but I think I'm leaning to the GH line at this time for nutes and the Roots Organics 707 soil (anyone used these? they're supposed to be just opened and the plant popped in, the soil is organic and pre-mixed to last the whole grow, is 3'cu). Sounds like no need to mix the soil and I could plant several from one bag which I would use in pots, NOT as intended lol

On my way to check out the vegging gals, now have 1, maybe 3 Kandy Kush out of the ground...1 for sure as she was smiling a the light already.....

Taxman said I could afford a meager upgrade today, so before minds could be changed and money spent elsewhere, a 400w HPS was bought to use for vertical lighting!!!!! Working on the set-up now, looks like this will really add to the bottom of the plants and my gals will surely THANK me for this!

I also bought (4) 5gal smart pots and the 707 mix, looking good for my youngest gals too! I have access to 30lb bags of worm castings for $1/bag....good deal? Thinking I will be supplementing the soils with this?

lordhighlama said:
great looking grow roddy. Altough I never let my girls veg as long as you, you are getting some monster yeilds from them for sure. That NL was sick looking, the colors were very nice indeed.
Hope you find what your looking for on the organic front, once you get it setup and running well you will never look back to FF again!

:doh: And rude of me, THANKS lordhighlama!! After letting NL sit in jar a few, she's slowly turned purplish at the base of the buds and the high/taste has greatly improved! I love her, but still love the KK best lol!

A question...the White Widow is showing signs she'll hermie, I already cut a few small branches from the bottom with hermie characteristics this morning. She's at 38 days (went into bud on Jan 24th) and has some sweet looking buds with about 15% amber...should I cut her down or am I ok with watching her closely and trying to let her get a bit more mature?

Keep in mind I have about 3 weeks of meds left and my next plant is around 6 weeks from finish (not counting WW, which has another 2-3 weeks?), so waiting (if possible) is best option...but if cutting now, are the buds gonna be any good?

Dutch Passion and hermies ... They are disappointing me.

Could be the elec outage had something to do with it, BHO...but it is disappointing.

I tried to get pics of the suspect trimmings, camera is worthless though lol...

Forgot to mention, went to the local feed mill and bought a gallon of what he called "wet" molasses...for $2.50. It looks like and smells like BSM, is this the same?

Any thoughts on whether I am safe to wait or should chop the WW??

that a good molasses form to use. It's what you use to add to animal feeds

THANKS Ozzy! Right on the molasses being used in feed, he also has dry molasses...would this be as good?

Wanted to comment on this:

Soil...I love the Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, will try adding more coir to it next time though.

I am trying out the Roots Organic 707 pre-mix 3cu bag, putting the soil in smaller pots. I think it is a great feeling soil and will let you know if I like it after the test plants finish!

I like the wet better more of the organic materials are in their orginal form and IMO easier for the microbes to process for the plant to use better.

THANKS again, Ozzy! Not that it matters much right now, I'll have a little break between buys lol, but good to know!

Latest posts

Back