Elephant Man's Grow Journal, 1st attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks TBG, that's good news. Some more pics in a couple of days (don't want to burden the server?), but everything seems to be going great! So hard to resist watering more often when they are young, but they definately grow faster during the dry spell.

This bagseed could become very interesting, a few could have come from a guy a know who only buys and smokes the best. One is definately very indica.

12 day old bagseed

Oct27_0002.jpg

Oct27_0003.jpg

Your babies are coming right along Elaphant Man. They are looking fat and nice and healthy. What more can you ask for except maybe some GREEN BUDDED FEMALES but that's down the road. ;) Looking good man, looking good.

Seasonal desert winds are a real pain, rh is dropping below 30% at times. The predominantly indica strains are hating it and wilting but I think will be okay.

I converted to shoplights to overdriven and put the ballasts on 12' cords (remote) in the mother room. Temps are still stable under 85 and doubled my lumens WOOHOO.

Everything is looking great man. Now lets fill that sucker up with some beautiful ladies. :D

Wow, my ladies are still so symmetrical. Where are you alternating nodes?

Got bored and built another cab to put all my potential mothers in till I change some stuff around. I got alot more time than I realized. Later on I will use this cabinet for sexing and clones.

Some pics of cab:

Nov04_0001.jpg

Nov04_0002.jpg

Nov04_0003.jpg

Got real bored and threw this little blue mystic seedling in a DWC.

Nov04_0008.jpg

Nov04_0007.jpg

First 3 pics are 20 day old bagseed, one definately more sativa.
4th pic is little miss biggie small.
5th pic is little miss blue mystic.
Both 'designer' seeds are 12 days old.

Nov04_0004.jpg

Nov04_0009.jpg

Nov04_0010.jpg

Nov04_0005.jpg

Nov04_0006.jpg

Morning ElaphantMan. I see that the little ladies are looking nice and healthy this fine day. Keep up the great work man and those little ladies will be full of big fat buds before ya know it. :D

Elephant Man said:
Pic of overdriven flouros I promised Mutt.

Thanks man, very huge help. Pic is worth a 1000 words when it comes to wiring. ;)
Won't let me give you more rep at the moment. but will when it lets me.

Nice Plants Elephant Man!! very bushy...I guess that's from the OD? I noticed that you picked Cool Tube reflectors.....I'm thinking you chose cool tubes because they're...potentially...cooler....and you live in the desert...but any other reasons? I chose them too because I too am in a really hot area and I'm going to be stringing two 600 watt cool tubes together for my closet.....well i've already done it but it needs some work....in another post someone said you should "stay well away" from cool tubes because they don't have the coverage......my closet is really long and narrow- so I was thinking they'd be perfect but I'm feeling kind of discouraged about it now.....so.....do you have anything to say about cool tubes? :D :D :D :D :D also, are you using a light mover? very nice setup....very...organized.....i will be watching dees one..

Thanks everyone,

Vitorcorleone,
I wondered if I was the only one that thought these girls look like bonsai. I attribute this to how close you can go with floros, these gals have never been less than 2 inches away, even with hotter OD bulbs. They are growing horizontally!:D
I actually have not read anything derogatory about cool tubes or light tracks, but I have noticed nobody uses them. I have a non air cooled reflector I might cut up and mount the cool tube inside. I figured I could use the track for now, and if I can keep temps under control, I might remove it and add second light.
I am having the worst luck in the hid department, first I ordered 1000 watt halide, then 2 bulbs before I got the horizontal bulb I wanted, and then to top it off - when the ballast finally did arrive - turns out it is a HPS!:mad: I think I may just go buy a few lamps complete. (So much for saving money on ebay!)
You are exactly right about the heat, I have been trying to haggle with a guy to get a deal on 3 liquid cooled reflectors.:cool:

Dood....Elephant Man....Please don't get me started on ordering stuff- it went so wrong.....nothing came on time....I paid extra for shipping and it still took a month......it was something else...............wen u order stuff like this you need one thing- patience like buddah......

my comments on the bushiness....I think this is just what happens when you us flors as opposed to MH (pref) or sodium...you'll probably have some insane vertical growth when you switch over....for mine it was like a whole new plant was grown on top of the smaller floro one- with thicker branches that had an entirely different texture than the ones grown under floro....it was like it just left the other plant behind.....of course I did floro to outdoor.....:p :D :eek:

Grrr. I can only imagine how these gals would explode under hid, they should have been tanning over a week ago. Some of them might never see hid though, after all, all the plants above are potential mothers. I have about 15 total, 7 are designer seeds - just left out the pics of the stragglers.
If I have enough females, I will bud the rest.

Elephant Man said:
Grrr. I can only imagine how these gals would explode under hid, they should have been tanning over a week ago. Some of them might never see hid though, after all, all the plants above are potential mothers. I have about 15 total, 7 are designer seeds - just left out the pics of the stragglers.
If I have enough females, I will bud the rest.

Excellent method there dude. Pick the best bud the rest. ;)
I find if I use a cutting from the "prospective" mother. It is always easier to deal with than the Original seed plant. IMHO. I have never noticed a degredation in quality or potency in the first cutting.
I can't explain why but turned out to be much easier to handle.

Mutt said:
Excellent method there dude. Pick the best bud the rest. ;)
I find if I use a cutting from the "prospective" mother. It is always easier to deal with than the Original seed plant. IMHO. I have never noticed a degredation in quality or potency in the first cutting.
I can't explain why but turned out to be much easier to handle.

Thanks Mutt! I am just trying to copying Stoney's method. I initially thought I was going to have a mother of each strain, but now I don't care. To me it is more important to focus on the plants that like me. I have 9 more widow seeds, I can always try her again later. I have the bagseed at least a week ahead so I can experiment and get my cloning method down before I start chopping away at the 'real' strains. I am going to try and sex the clones, rather than messing with the mothers, but I have at least a week to plan that. Unless I can identify preflowers when I see them.

I started a seedling in a test/fun dwc bucket, out of boredom, and now I am thinking about some nft/aero testing too. My ebb and gro is still waiting for clones. I would like to dabble a little in all methods, another reason to start with dirt.

Wow your plants at 12 days seem great compared to what I got going on :) Looks really good , and good to here you got compact plants off the floros... Nice work

Inspector420 said:
Wow your plants at 12 days seem great compared to what I got going on :) Looks really good , and good to here you got compact plants off the floros... Nice work

Thanks Inspector, I have been following your journal too and I am impressed. I have made mistakes in the beginning, poor drainage. I rely on the weight method, works best for me.

I posted on your thread and this one about a couple of strains seeming more challenging/demanding than others, but now it seems they are all thriving. Even widow is making a big comeback. My mother room is going to be a jungle. I guess the next step is which one clones the easiest.

Latest posts

Back