Elephant Man's Grow Journal, 1st attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HGB said:
been peek'n in here at ya grow and love your DIY stuff... just thought i would ramble about ph control.

I understand how your doing it but not real clear on why one wouldn't spend the same amount for a lifetime of ph down with GH dry products :D .. got a 1 pound tub 5 years ago and cant tell i used much out of it and i grow indoor and outdoor hydro both weed and vegi's..

anyhow love'n your DIY stuff bro... great info in here thats for sure

grow on

Welcome aboard HGB! I guess I should have looked at the dry, never seen it. I know the bottled is not cheap, how much was the tub? Don't know if it matters now though, I will probably never run out of acid.

Everyone has their goals (or should). Mine is not max potency or yield, or simplicity. My goal is actually to not have to replenish supplies. I do not like constantly buying medium, nutes, soil etc, whether it be from local shop or online. I would like to try and go mediumless first, got a crazy aero thing coming up, then I have to try and learn as much as possible about nutrient balancing as possible. I am considering trying to make my own nutes one day. Proper reusing and amending soil would be nice too (for the mothers).

Ok, you seem like a really skilled grower, and I'm probably jumping of a cliff by mentioning this, but I have been considering using my own urine to nute. Hopefully I don't get flamed, but the info is out there, and it does work. I am afraid to even talk about this, but I feel the majority of growers know that whatever enters the plant is completely broken down and processed. And besides, nobody has to smoke my plants but me.

There are a great many reasons for me to do this, and I have been reading into it for quite some time. I am a very good candidate. Other than my physically broken back, I am in perfect health, I eat very well. No alcohol, processed food, soda, stuff like that. If you do the research, you can actually control your own urine ph with the controlled consumption of proteins/vegetable matter. Sounds like fun. As freaky as it sounds, urine is completely sterile when leaving the body and actually, IMO, alot less gross than bat guano, fish emulsion, or petroleum based chemicals. Good idea to get some urine test strips to check for any kind of urinary infections first, which is probably not a bad idea anyway.

I'm going to post up some of the info I found for those who are surely going to freak out (I did the first time I heard of this). From what I understand, this is from the now defunkt forum Overgrow.com:

See next post, won't fit here.

Thanks HGB for posting here, I was getting lonely. You gave me the courage to bring this out in the open;) .

The following is a grow faq contribution that I had a rather large thread about on OG I thought that I would share it with you all since you have been so welcoming for us OG refugee's. I was able to recover my origional sumbition through a google search and viewing the cached version. go figure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Can I use My Urine as a Fertilizer?

Sure you can. In fact Sweden has tested a full scale urine ‘recycling’ program. Among their findings they have discovered that urine is a complete fertilizer for farm use, lowers the environmental impact of wastewater, improves recirculation of the 3 main nutrients, and that the hygienic risks are negligible if handled properly. Nature has been making use of urine for centuries before humans had even mastered the art of agriculture. Animal wastes contain nutrients that plants needs, and in return they provide us with nutrients we need. It is a circle that has been broken only in recent years, but before you go using your pots as a urinal you will need to be aware of how to use your urine. DO NOT PEE DIRECTLY ON OR AROUND YOUR PLANTS. You will burn them. The following will detail everything that you need to know to be successful.

Use in Soil
Pure concentrated urine will burn your plants; it must first be diluted with water. Typically a ratio of 1 part urine to 10 parts water is effective. Some have gotten away with a slightly higher ratio on unusually hungry girls. It is recommended that you do not exceed 1:10, even though a nutrient burn with urine is rare, the smell can be unpleasant, and salts will build quickly, at higher concentrations. For younger plants start with a ratio of 1:20-1:30 and work your way up. As always do not fertilize germinating seedlings. Wait until the cotyledons (little round leaves) have fallen off before beginning any fertilizer regiment. Also it is not needed every water, every other or every third is sufficient. Let your plant do the talking, if she is a nice dark green then lay off a little, use a weaker solution and lower frequency, if she is getting on the yellow side then step up the strength a bit. Note: Urine can have a high salt content, depending upon your diet. I recommend that when you water with plain water, you allow some run off (approximately 1/8-1/4 volume of your pot) and toss it, this should rid your soil of excess salts.

Use in Hydro
About 8 ounces (1cup) for every 3 gall or reservoir water has been effective (thanks foto) but you should adjust according to your conditions, plant needs, and smell issues. The nitrogen in urine (ammonia and urea) must first be consumed by bacteria as food. The bacteria then store the nitrogen in the bacterial protoplasm. As the Bacteria die, they liberate the stored nitrogen as nitrate, sort of like a time release capsule, to be taken up by the plants. In soil this is no problem but in hydro setups there may not be enough bacteria culture to breakdown the urea and ammonia. Therefore it will be a good idea to drip your Res water through a porous material that can support a bacteria culture such as lava rocks, ceramic bio filter material, foam, sponge. It is up to you; it does not need to be fancy just able to support beneficial bacteria. This step may not be required if your root mass is large enough or if you have a trickle system through a porous medium like rockwool or coco. To get a good start on your bacteria culture you can get some bio-filter booster liquid from any aquarium shop. This liquid contains "good" bacteria that will help you develop a thriving population use as directed (usually a few drops per gal.)

Fermented or Fresh (By Klompen)
Traditionally, urine was kept in a garden in a large barrel. Sweet smellnig flowers were typically planted around this barrel to mask any odors. This fermentation does have some great benefits, such as breaking down the urea into more useable amoniates. Also, it has the benefit of allowing the salts to settle out of it to a large degree. This settling of the salt does take some micronutes out as some of them bind to the salt, but it's a minimal loss. The odor profile of the urine is changed quite a bit by the fermenting process as well. It is not a better smell, but instead a "richer" smell.

There are downsides. Chief downside is the fact that you must leave a container of urine sitting around. Guests don't always like finding out what you've got sitting in that mysterious bottle. As mentioned above, a small amount of micronutes are lost from settling. You will also lose a bit of the urine at the bottom of the bottle because it has the settled substances in higher amounts. One other downside is that you will need to have two containers ideally, since you will not want to be putting fresh urine into a bottle full of fermented urine.

Nutrient Levels (approximation, will vary according to diet)
Alanine, total ..... 38 mg/day
Arginine, total ..... 32 mg/day
Ascorbic acid ..... 30 mg/day
Allantoin ..... 12 mg/day
Amino acids, total ..... 2.1 g/day
Bicarbonate ..... 140 mg/day
Biotin ..... 35 mg/day
Calcium ..... 23 mg/day
Creatinine ..... 1.4 mg/day
Cystine ..... 120 mg/day
Dopamine ..... 0.40 mg/day
Epinephrine ..... 0.01 mg/day
Folic acid ..... 4 mg/day
Glucose ..... 100 mg/day
Glutamic acid ..... 308 mg/day
Glycine ..... 455 mg/day
Inositol ..... 14 mg/day
Iodine ..... 0.25 mg/day
Iron ..... 0.5 mg/day
Lysine, total ..... 56 mg/day
Magnesium ..... 100 mg/day
Manganese ..... 0.5 mg/day
Methionine, total ..... 10 mg/day
Nitrogen, total ..... 15 g/day
Ornithine ..... 10 mg/day
Pantothenic acid ..... 3 mg/day
Phenylalanine ..... 21 mg/day
Phosphorus, organic ..... 9 mg/day
Potassium ..... 2.5 mg/day
Proteins, total ..... 5 mg/day
Riboflavin ..... 0.9 mg/day
Tryptophan, total ..... 28 mg/day
Tyrosine, total ..... 50 mg/day
Urea ..... 24.5 mg/day
Vitamin B6 ..... 100 mg/day
Vitamin B12 ..... 0.03 mg/day
Zinc ..... 1.4 mg/day

approx 2 liters is excreted /day.

Human urine is a great source of auxin, in fact one of the most potent auxins can be found in human urine; indol-3-acetic acid or IAA. Among many things auxin is known to stimulate flower growth, promote ethylene production, and stimulate root growth.

I have gone though an entire grow using urine without any deficiencies, but many feel that during flowering your phosphorus levels are too low. If you desire, a bloom fertilizer may be used in tandem during the flowering phase.
A tea made with the Russian comphry plant (3.6-1-10.6) is an excellent organic bloom fertilizer for those of us who do not wish to use chemicals at any step. Also a tea of bone meal, or bone meal in your soil mix is probably the best way to add Phosphorus.

In addition I would, and have, cut back on the amout of urine used in the flower period (both frequency and consentration). There is some evidence that Nitrogen in excess will inhibit flower growth, and increase your 12/12 time.

Your body can only absorb about 10-15% of a multivitamin/mineral pill the rest is flushed out with your urine. Taking a multivitamin/mineral about 3 hours before your urine collection can give you many vital micro nutrients.

A balanced and healthy diet means balanced and healthy urine. Keep fit and eat well and you should have nutrient rich urine and happy plants.

PH
The PH value for human urine can range anywhere from 5 and 8.5 but most often is found between 5.5 and 7.5 in healthy individuals with a balanced diet. A value of 6 is average. High protein diets can lower PH (more acidic) and Vegetarian diets raise PH values (more alkaline). Urinary infection will increase PH value. Test your PH and lower it (coffee, lemon juice, or vinegar are great organic PH downs) if any higher that 6, especially if in a hydro system, or increase your protein consumption. If the soil you are using is fairly acidic, like peat moss you will want to make sure you are not dropping it too low with acidic urine; dolomite lime can help you buffer this up, or increase your vegetable intake and lower your protein.

Pro's

It Works
Tried and true. In my (and a few others) opinion it works as good as commercial fertilizers when used properly. A side by side clone to clone test has not yet been done (to my knowledge), but there is no question that urine produces healthy, frosty, dank nugs, as good as anything out there.

Cheap
You can't beat free can you? Not likely. Weather you are growing for pleasure or profit saving money is something that I think we all desire. If you have no problem with spending the money, then go right ahead. Call it ghetto if you want, I call it natures gift, and I intend to make the best of it.

Available
It’s like fertilizer on tap. No hasty visits to the hydro/garden shop. No “I’ll have to do without for a while”. It’s always there when you need it.

Environmentally friendly
Many of us would like to preserve the earth. Well organic fertilizers are the way to go if this is part of your ethos. Chemical fertilizers are produced from petroleum products, natural gas, and coal. Minerals are made more soluble with acids. After the compounds are used by the plant the contaminants left over in the soil can become poisonous and over time can leave the land depleted and ‘dead’. Using organic fertilizers closes a cycle of life that has existed for millennia. We feed the plants and they feed us, much like the oxygen and carbon dioxide cycle.

Compost
Urine in your compost pile is probably the best way to get extra Nitrogen into your mix.

Con's

Continued next post

Con's

Eww factor
If you are disgusted by this then maybe you should stick to chemical fertilizers. No matter how many times I tell people that urine is sterile in the bladder, and is only dangerous if compromised by fecease or other pathogen carrying substances, some just cannot get over it. People also believe that the urine will somehow end up being ‘smoked’ yet they have no qualms about ‘smoking’ the chemicals or other organic ferts. All fertilizers are broken down by the plant, used in chemical reactions and changed. There is no way that you will be 'smoking' your fertalizers, whatever you use, as long as you aren’t foliar spraying in flower, but then you wouldn’t do that with fish emulsion or chemicals now would you?

Salt content
Human urine will contain various salts. Depending on diet your urine can contain up a max of 2.2% salt, this is because the human kidney cannot concentrate salts to greater than 2.2%. On average salt content will be about 30g/L Total dissolved solids constitute about 5% of urine volume. As previously stated it will be to your benefit to allow some run off when watering and toss it, this will rid your soil of excess salts.

Infections and parasites
Hygienic risks are negligible, unless the urine comes in contact with pathogens after leaving the body. The urine of a healthy person is sterile in the bladder. If you have a urinary tract, or kidney infection your urine will contain bacteria that can infect others. It is quite impossible for the infection to be passed through the plant, bud or smoke. If you are sick the majority of pathogens that can transmit disease will die within 24 hours of leaving the body. Infections will increase both your salt content and PH values, and can contain bacteria that consume nitrates.

Smell
Urine does have a distinctive unpleasant odor. If you mix it properly (1:10-20) then there should be no problems. I have only ever had a smell issue when I mixed it entirely too strong. If you have ever used fish emulsion, blood meal, or guano/manure you should be used to offensive odors and should not have a problem using urine.

Imprecise
Urine fertilizing is not an exact science. Exact nutrient levels and concentrations cannot be accurately established without the proper equipment. Notwithstanding some trial and error is necessary in every fertilizer regiment. Certain strains can have differing tolerances, different growing conditions and methods vary in their ability to deliver nutrients reliably.
------------------------

Thanks Foto420, Fuze, me2, carfreak69, Klompen, satghost, Seu Edmilson and everyone that have open minds on this subject.

http://www.geocities.com/impatients...dFertilizer.htm
gen info

http://www.liquidgoldbook.com/
(General info, great book)

http://www.plant-hormones.info/auxins.htm(auxins)

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/...5416013761.html
(Cheap ferts)

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/...n/excretion.htm
(salt content)

http://www.craigmedical.com/urinalysis_techs.htm
(ph)

www.iees.ch/EcoEng011/downloads/EcoEng011_F2.pdf
(Swedish findings)

http://www.mst.dk/project/NyViden/2001/11040000.htm
(characterization of urine)

http://www.anarac.com/fertilizersewage_sludge.htm
(chem. ferts)

http://www.iees.ch/EcoEng011/EcoEng011_F2.html
(gen info/ hygenic risks)

http://www.all-natural.com/urine.html
(nutes found in urine)
Last edited by BuddyNugs : 02-09-2006 at 05:43 PM.

laylow6988 said:
I am going to use the traditional method of pissing... a tree. Not my pot.

Well, I'm not sure how that information is useful to me:( , but thanks for stopping by;) .

If anyone elses chooses not to read the info above, please understand that I do not piss in my plants pots, if you do this they will get burned.

Moving on:

I have decided to try another experiment:rolleyes: , I put my overdriven flouros into my cabinet, along with 2 regular shop light fixtures for side lighting. I am going to do an all flouro grow, just for fun.

Cabinet is 2' x 4' and 6' high. 4 overdriven bulbs burning 128 watts each (approx 6k lumens each) and 4 ordinary bulbs burning 40 watts each (3050 lumens each), mixed warm and cool bulbs. Should be about 36k+ lumens and approximately 672 watts. As you can see, this is not anywhere as efficient as an HID. I have a 400 watt switchable that was in there, but I am doing this for the cabinet and closet growers out there. I get alot of questions about flouros, and would like to have some experience to speak from. When veggin' my mothers in the beginning, I was very impressed with their growth under my flouros (check pics in thread beginning). I actually wish I had never put them under the HID. They were very compact before with VERY tight node spacing, and the HID seems to be changing that, even at minimal distance from plants. I'm guessing and hope to show that distance from light can be more important than most would think. Also somehow I came up with 11 females out of 11 plants (even the bagseed) under flouros, not sure if there is a connection there, but definately a good thing. Pic of cab below.

On the aerocloner, I decided to put that on the back burner for now, next months I should have more clones than I can use, so I will go back to that then. For now, I started a few in the very basic propogation setup that most hydro stores sell, don't know what it is called, just a tray and dome. 6 oz cups of soil, seedling heating mat underneath, root powder, very dilute MG transplant solution. Pic below

Nov20_0001.jpg

Nov20_0002.jpg

Elephant Man said:
Welcome aboard HGB! I guess I should have looked at the dry, never seen it. I know the bottled is not cheap, how much was the tub? Don't know if it matters now though, I will probably never run out of acid.

thx for the welcome EM, think i paid around 11 bucks for the dry concentrate or so.... good investment i thought, after a couple years use i knew i wouldnt run out in this life time :D

Ok, you seem like a really skilled grower, and I'm probably jumping of a cliff by mentioning this, but I have been considering using my own urine to nute. .

wouldnt call my self skilled at all but more just open for ideas... and ya you proubly are jumping of a cliff on that one :eek:

I'm going to post up some of the info I found for those who are surely going to freak out (I did the first time I heard of this). From what I understand, this is from the now defunkt forum Overgrow.com:

See next post, won't fit here.

Thanks HGB for posting here, I was getting lonely. You gave me the courage to bring this out in the open;)

indeed you have done your research on this and provided some great info

most peeps cant get past that it's there own urine but have no problem with any poo at all in there pots go figure huh...

thks for share'n your info on this as i think its great.. one can never stop learning in there life time and to close your eyes becouse one doesnt understand seems such a waste to me...

I'm trying to get my head around living organics right now and was wondering if you had any input on this as well... if you have the time that is ;)

keep up the great work and grow on

Thanks HGB, I'm glad to see there are open minds out there:) . Funny how after 10 years of random drug testing, I seem to have lost my fear of urine. I'll bet more than one person on here has carried someone else's pee in their pocket before:rolleyes: .

Living organics? Is that like growing in a fish tank? Or referring to biological medium? I would love to try both one day, the lava rocks are supposed to be great for supporting bene's in hydro.

Always got time for some tech talk, I will be better at it as time rolls on, I have really learned alot in the 6 weeks:eek: I have been injured. Just imagine what I will know in a year.;)

Elephant Man said:
Living organics? Is that like growing in a fish tank? Or referring to biological medium?

biological medium ;) broham.... I have been watching a fellows work on this for about a year now and he is try'n to pound it into my head like hehe.... i will get it one day just like i did with hydro... search -REv in google... he is on staff at skunk mag as well as does some work shops on a couple forums.... good read i think and worth the search.... i have some links if need be to a few mags he writes in and what not[/QUOTE]

Always got time for some tech talk, I will be better at it as time rolls on, I have really learned alot in the 6 weeks:eek: I have been injured. Just imagine what I will know in a year.;)

sorry to hear your injured, been off work 1 year now myself do to back probs :mad:

will be about like

grow on

I entered '-REv' in google, but got nothing, I am not the best at finding stuff on the net, I just lurk at a few other forums. I only post on this one though, freindliest MJ growing forum I found:yay: . Can you give me a small description of how that works? Bene's living in the medium providing nutes?

There is alot of stuff I have been trying to catch up on, just gotta take it step by step. I still know nothing about breeding, phenos, training - lots of things to research still, but I'm happy as long as I stay one step ahead of my girls for now;) .

Speaking of which, I discovered another mistake I made long ago. I should have started 2 or 3 of a strain instead of one each. I should have topped my mothers long ago too. Reason being, by the time I can take 12 clones from one mother, she will probably be 3' tall:( . Not entirely a disaster, but something to note. I know there are a few ways around this, I am presently trying to choose one. I would really rather not do any LST on my first grow, I want to see them 'natural' at least once. I have some clones going now, I'm guessing when the time comes, I can take more, and just slow the others down (colder temps) to catch up. I wanted to start with my 'flood room' but I can't take 12 clones from the same strain yet. I guess I am going to start the flouro project first, in individual dirt pots, I should be okay with different strains. I've been hacking away at the 2 biggest bagseed moms (guinea pigs) every 3 days I think without any sign of stress, but I'm not sure I have seen a time frame posted detailing how long to wait before attempting to take more. Nice to have a few girls to try stuff on first.

I'm going to try and start building my TAG room in the next couple of days, the other 2 are pretty much ready. I am thinking of trying a little experiment on my GH Ebb and Grow too. I wanna install bigger drain lines, and I am thinking of converting half of the buckets (6 of 12) into an aero system, but all still connected using the cycle draining and original res. Hard to describe, but I will post plenty of pics. Should be interesting to see 12 of the same strain, running off of the same res, but half aero and half ebb and flood.

say EM pretty sure it's ok to post these links for you here... if not sorry mods

rolanterry and the magick kindom might bring up more in google but here's a couple links for you to chew into :D

click

click2

that should give a good jump off spot like bro if you care to follow his work and style.... tis a good read like ;)

HGB said:
say EM pretty sure it's ok to post these links for you here... if not sorry mods

rolanterry and the magick kindom might bring up more in google but here's a couple links for you to chew into :D

click

click2

that should give a good jump off spot like bro if you care to follow his work and style.... tis a good read like ;)

I'm not sure about the link thing either, but I don't mind them posted here. Strange, it wouldn't let me look at the second link, but after reading the first link, I may have to register there to see more;) . I've heard of the tea thing before, I'm guessing this is a little different though, looks like they are brewing up microbial stew. Can you tell me how they are bubbling? Is the mix doing the reaction on it's own, or are they cooking it with some kind of heat source? Will this work in hydro?

I don't really know if I will try this soon, but you have my interest. Looks like there are a few ingredients I would have to get, which is moving away from my goal:( . I will look into whatever I can find easily though. I picked up some bone meal today, just in case I decide to try the pee thing.

That stew looks freakin' nasty:eek: , bubblin' sespool:D IMO a little grosser than urine, but I am not afraid.;)

Not sure if I have raised anyone's curiousity with the urine thing (don't blame you keeping quiet) but I found a website based entirely on the subject.

http://www.liquidgoldbook.com/

An open mind is truly a wonderful thing...

Elephant Man said:
Not sure if I have raised anyone's curiousity with the urine thing (don't blame you keeping quiet) but I found a website based entirely on the subject.

The urine information has been posted before... I take a leak around my OD plants... they do like it, hands down.. and outdoors ur not gonna over fert doing it.
But indoors... nooo way.. smells like piss.... and basically everything in it is already contained in the $$ I spent for nutes. If my res/drip tubing wouldn't get a smell i'd consider it perhaps.
I dont even like molasses from the way it eventually gums up pumps... (but i still use it during flushing end of grows)

KADE said:
The urine information has been posted before... I take a leak around my OD plants... they do like it, hands down.. and outdoors ur not gonna over fert doing it.
But indoors... nooo way.. smells like piss.... and basically everything in it is already contained in the $$ I spent for nutes. If my res/drip tubing wouldn't get a smell i'd consider it perhaps.
I dont even like molasses from the way it eventually gums up pumps... (but i still use it during flushing end of grows)

I agree, I still have not decided whether or not to try it, but I do have the proper conditions. Everything is in the garage now, and I have 4 oscilating fans, 2 vortex, and a huge 'attic gable fan' exhausting out the roof, don't think I would smell anything;) . If I do decide to try it, it will be on my soil grow.

Hey you all inspire me. Thanks to those like TBG, Hick and Stony Bud and others to many to name we will have our Phd's in MJ soon enough. Rick James (R.I.P.) would be proud of us for keeping Mary Jane alive and well. Keep it up!!!

newgreenthumb said:
Hey you all inspire me. Thanks to those like TBG, Hick and Stony Bud and others to many to name we will have our Phd's in MJ soon enough. Rick James (R.I.P.) would be proud of us for keeping Mary Jane alive and well. Keep it up!!!

Thanks for stopping by NGB! Yeah, I don't know if I will ever be as good as those guys, but I am having a great time learning, and bonding with my girls.

Rick James! LOL, yeah, I am a superfreak too, just without all the hard drugs and violence.

I have been messing around with the lady's and their feeding and finally got those vibrant green tops everyone else has, they were looking so happy today, seemed begging for a little runway action;) .

So here are some pics, all the designer strains (Dr. Chronic) are 29 days old today

pic 1 is AK48
pic 2 is Biggie Small
pic 3 is Indoor Mix (potluck or something, look Afghani?)
pic 4 is White Widow (I made the mistake of starting her in that great big pot:rolleyes: )
pic 5 is Blue Mystic (a little droopy, just transplanted her earlier today)

Quart of Fox Farm Grow Big for reference.
Enjoy!

edit almost forgot, pic 6 Troublemaker Kush

Nov21_0001.jpg

Nov21_0002.jpg

Nov21_0003.jpg

Nov21_0004.jpg

Nov21_0005.jpg

Nov21_0006.jpg

And the 2 biggest bagseed, 34 days old

These are of course all mothers.

Nov21_0007.jpg

Nov21_0008.jpg

looking good I must say. Treat them ladies right and they will return the favor. If they get to the runway I might have to peek up their skirts, lol. :aok:

newgreenthumb said:
looking good I must say. Treat them ladies right and they will return the favor. If they get to the runway I might have to peek up their skirts, lol. :aok:

LOL, I took a peek today, but saw a big trunk:eek: :D .

Latest posts

Back