Leaves are Dying Fast. Crusty Brown Spots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my CBD plants. I have 3 of them in the room with 13 other plants. The other plants are a Lemon OG and they are doing great. Everything is on the same water and feed schedule.

I pH my mix and I keep it between 6 and 7. My water is high so it's always acid, never base. The bloom booster I use takes pH down but I still usually need to add pH down to get it where I want it.

I jump around between 6.2 for the Cal Mag to about 6.9 or even 7.

I feed 1/2 dose of Fox Farms Big Bloom (supposedly organic) and 3ml/gal of CalMag each time I water. This has been pretty regular for several years and seems to work for most. If I get a light eater like Satori, I cut back a little but if I get a heavy eater, I use the bloom boosters to make up the difference. Although, I have been thinking about trying a new nute and a new routine, this has been pretty solid for a few years.

And, like I said, the rest of the room, other then the CBD plants are doing great.

So, obviously this no THC ditchweed hemp plant is 'sensitive'. LOL

I often have some yellowing of the fan and secondary leave as flowering progresses but these plants started to yellow early. They are in week 4 and one is still green but heading yellow. One is yellow and the third is dying with crusty spots.

This looks like classic pH problems to me.

It's hard to tell from these pics but most everything is green. Even the buds on the CBD plants (3 on the right). It's the fan leaves and now the second leaves turning yellow. And, that one pheno has the crusty spots.

Oh yeah, these are 3 different phenos. My clone mothers.

I don't know. Doesn't look good. Love to hear any comments.

Sorry about the yellow pics. Another reason to go LED. LOL

View attachment sickcbd-1.jpg

View attachment sickcbd-2.jpg

View attachment sickcbd-3.jpg

View attachment sickcbd-4.jpg

You think it's a deficiency? I thought it was way too much of something. Or, maybe everything.

It is ditchweed hemp. It's used to growing on the roadside and being fertilized by beer cans and fast food wrappers. Maybe this Fox Farms caviar is too much for it.

I am leaning toward too much of something. No?

EDIT: Although, it didn't get the gradual tip burn and get worse like most over nute problems develop. Happened pretty quickly.

Hackerman, come to the light! Switch to organics, you don't ph no up down, nothing. worm ****, for N, bat **** for P, other good stuff... Come on.
By the looks of that chart it is potasium?

My guess would be that your roots for those fan leaves have reached the bottom and are getting less water and/or they are stuck in the basin feeding on salts that are in the drainage or they aren't getting enough nutrients (somehow) i'd get rid of those leaves and wait to see if the next set are affected the same way.

Mine do this when I flower them in pots that I've vegged the plant in for too long and put it into flowering anyway without transplanting into a bigger pot with fresh soil.

ph issue with nute lockout. you are using GH 3 part? Do you water enough for 20% run off and ph water only every 3rd watering? Definitely root bound as well

I agree with the pH but I'm not so sure about the root bound. Maybe I don't know what root bound really means. That's certainly possible.

Here is why.... When I switch from veg to 12/12 I go from a #1 pot to a #3. About 1 gallon to 3 gallon. Little less. Anyway, after I transplant them and flip to 12/12 I don't get a lot of root growth. The extra dirt is more for water control than root space.

When I harvest I can pull the rootball out and it's almost the same size and even shape as the #1 pot that it came from. Maybe some little growth but never to the edge or the bottom of the pot. Never. I wish the roots would grow more but they don't LOL

So, unless I am misunderstanding root bound, I think we are good on that one.

As for over nuted and locked out..... I couldn't agree more but my nute routine is 1/2 what most do and the other plants are as healthy as a horse and love the routine.

I think your 100% right on over nute and lockout, though, I need to toss some old beer cans in those pots. LOL This hemp just doesn't like caviar.

What is GH 3 part? Nutes? All these plants have ever had is some CalMag and 1/2 doses of Fox Farms Big Bloom (Organic, supposedly). .No bloom boosters. Nothing else. I only water 2 or 3 times a week.

I usually pH the water to 6-7 but sometimes I'm lazy and just don't do it. LOL

Yes, I always water to run off. I let runoff sit in the trays for an hour or so and suck up anything that might be left, which is almost never.

I'm going to put these on straight water for the next few waterings. You agree?

Thanks

...All these plants have ever had is some CalMag and 1/2 doses of Fox Farms Big Bloom (Organic, supposedly). .No bloom boosters. Nothing else. I only water 2 or 3 times a week.

:eek: No food? I think they are starving to death. Cal mag is...well only cal and mag. Big Bloom (it is organic) has almost nothing in it--0.0-0.5-0.7. They have received virtually no food during their life. Is this your normal "nutrient" regime?

they need N big time, P and K look non existent, which why I thought nute lock out. It is lacking everything. Good news, its not too late to fix it.

Duh, sometimes you need to be b-slapped to start thinking. That Bloom is not very much food is it? Been doing the same thing so long, I guess I stopped thinking.

I have been using this routine for 3 or 4 years and it's been working great.

I do supplement with the bloom boosters, Open Sesame (5-45-19) for weeks 1, 2, 3. Beastie Bloomz (0-50-30) weeks 4, 5, 6 and Cha Ching (9-50-10) weeks 7, 8 and 9.

However, I use these VERY lightly. MAYBE once a week. And, in half dose at a time. My crops have always been healthy (you've seen pictures) and if they get a little off, I use the boosters and if they get a little tip burn, I back it off. Been working for 3 or 4 years (since I've been a member here). I use Happy Frog soil.

And, I need to re-neg on what I said about these plants. They have had a couple small doses of Open Sesame.

OK, so you guys really think that looks like a plant that's underfed?

What do you suggest?

Thanks again for the help.

Also, I have been considering changing my routine anyway just for the sake of change. I guess nutes are a good as any place to start. What kind of nutes do you guys use? I was actually thinking of trying Jacks. It sure has a lot of supporters in the Canna world.

Again, thank you.

OK, just to try to give you as much accurate info as possible, I went back and looked at my schedule (I keep a log).......

These were transplanted from #1 to #3 pots Dec 22. Almost 5 weeks ago. I use Happy Frog soil.

I watered with 1/3 of the dose of Big Bloom??? ***, why bother? When I think of the money I have probably wasted. Well, you'll never see tip burn from too much nutes on my plants. LMAO

Anyway, I use 4 tablespoons in 3 gallons. The recommended dose on the bottle is 4 tablespoons per gallon. I watered 14 times in 32 days so, an average of every 2.3 days. Each time with 3ml/gallon of CalMag (I think that's OK) and 4 TBSP of Big Bloom.

On 4 occasions, about a week apart I added bloom booster to the mix. Usually about 2/3 of the recommended dose.

Like I said before, after mixing the nutes, I usually pH the mix to 6-7.

Again, thanks

I’m trying MegaCrop from greenleaf nutrients. A dry all in one nute that seems to be working for me. I have had trouble getting dry nutes to dissolve in the past but this seems to do fine. Cheap too and seems pretty ph stable. It brings my tap water right to where it needs to be. They had a promotion going on for a while, free 230 gram bag for the price of shipping, don’t know if it’s still going on.

Thanks RedEyes. I'll put it on the list to review. I actually get more sediment out of the liquid food than I do the powder. The Big Bloom always leaves settlement.

Here is a more color accurate pic of what I have. As you can see, the rest of the crop is doing great. The 3 CBD plants on the right are golden yellow....

Also, a little more info.

The bottom leaves are still green. The problem exists only on the leaves that are exposed to the direct light.

The third plant (closest one) is still pretty green but I see crusty spots forming.

View attachment Image1.jpg

Thank you THG, i am getting my feeling hurt here, Hackerman doesn't want any of my special CBD seeds and he won't take my advice. LOL.... Maybe he will listen to you.

Duh, sometimes you need to be b-slapped to start thinking. That Bloom is not very much food is it? Been doing the same thing so long, I guess I stopped thinking.

I have been using this routine for 3 or 4 years and it's been working great.

I do supplement with the bloom boosters, Open Sesame (5-45-19) for weeks 1, 2, 3. Beastie Bloomz (0-50-30) weeks 4, 5, 6 and Cha Ching (9-50-10) weeks 7, 8 and 9.

However, I use these VERY lightly. MAYBE once a week. And, in half dose at a time. My crops have always been healthy (you've seen pictures) and if they get a little off, I use the boosters and if they get a little tip burn, I back it off. Been working for 3 or 4 years (since I've been a member here). I use Happy Frog soil.

And, I need to re-neg on what I said about these plants. They have had a couple small doses of Open Sesame.

OK, so you guys really think that looks like a plant that's underfed?

What do you suggest?

Thanks again for the help.

Also, I have been considering changing my routine anyway just for the sake of change. I guess nutes are a good as any place to start. What kind of nutes do you guys use? I was actually thinking of trying Jacks. It sure has a lot of supporters in the Canna world.

Again, thank you.

There is a bit more to it than just being under fed. When a plant stresses from lack of water or nutrients, they send a chemical pheromone for lack of a better word, that attracts bugs and disease. It is 1 of the triggers for russets, and then you might as well throw everything away and start over.

I have no idea what "going organic" means. LOL I buy Happy Frog.... that's organic isn't it? LOL OK, Rosie. I always listen to the women I love. 25 words or less..... what's 'going organic'?

Quit trying to scare me, umbra. You work in the medical field. When someone has a sore toe do you tell them, "Yep, gangreen's next. Probably going to loose that leg". ROTFLMAO

Especially bugs. I hate bugs. I can deal with other stuff but... I hate bugs. Don't scare me with bugs. LOL

So, flush or feed?

And, why only on the leaves that are exposed to the light? Why is the rest of the plant (the bottom and back side) still nice and green?

Fortunately, I only have about 3 weeks left until I start harvesting these CBD plants. I plan to take it in stages at 8, 9 and 10 weeks. If something doesn't change, I won't make it 10 weeks. Might not make 8.

OK, straight up question.... I have heard that giving plants nitrogen during the late flower cycle messes something up in the flowering routine. Something to do with enzymes.

Do you guys know if that's true?

Thanks again

25 words or less? Soil, my fav:https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/product/nectar-for-the-gods-blend-4, see if you can find it locally. Do you have compost at your home? Worm bin? if not ok. This is the tea i use to feed, This recipe is for one gallon. I use the heavier dose now in flower but used the lighter ones in veg.

1 1 tsp unsulfered Molasses

1-2 TBLSeabird Guano, the one highest in P

2-4 TBL Liquid Kelp/potash

2 tsp Azomite micronized

2-4 TBL Liquid bone meal. 0-12-0

Bubble for 24-48 hours. Don't let sit, if it smells bad, don't use it on cannabis. I throw mine on the ivy. It can go bad.

Was that 25 words?

I have no idea what "going organic" means. LOL I buy Happy Frog.... that's organic isn't it? LOL OK, Rosie. I always listen to the women I love. 25 words or less..... what's 'going organic'?

Quit trying to scare me, umbra. You work in the medical field. When someone has a sore toe do you tell them, "Yep, gangreen's next. Probably going to loose that leg". ROTFLMAO

Especially bugs. I hate bugs. I can deal with other stuff but... I hate bugs. Don't scare me with bugs. LOL

So, flush or feed?

And, why only on the leaves that are exposed to the light? Why is the rest of the plant (the bottom and back side) still nice and green?

Fortunately, I only have about 3 weeks left until I start harvesting these CBD plants. I plan to take it in stages at 8, 9 and 10 weeks. If something doesn't change, I won't make it 10 weeks. Might not make 8.

OK, straight up question.... I have heard that giving plants nitrogen during the late flower cycle messes something up in the flowering routine. Something to do with enzymes.

Do you guys know if that's true?

Thanks again

To a certain degree it is true that less N in the last stages of flower is important in setting the flowers into their final stage, but since they are in such need, I'd do it anyway. Because you are right, they won't make it otherwise.

My first thought when looking at the first pic was over watering.

Latest posts

Back