What to expect ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohio

Reaction score
We set up our veg room to prepare for Spring, but decided to try a couple autos, two auto pounder w cheese, and one Lowryder. We will be using our veg light, an 8 bulb T5 set up. I know there are better bulbs but this is all we have right now. Do you think we might be able to get maybe half of what they claim with this ?? They are in a all white room, with controlled temps. Anyone have any comments about these strains ? Or growing autos with these type of lights ? Thanks :vap-leafy_wave:

I have only grown an auto once.. T5's are great for vegging, nothing wrong with that. And i don't think you have to change the color of the bulbs or anything for an auto. I stuck the one i grew in my flower room but if i remember right I didn't have to...thus auto. Hopefully someone that knows will be by. Mine was a lowryder and it was not a big producer...not even an ounce if i remember right.

Autos suck, finnish them under 18-20 hours light and get reg or femmed seeds, jmo

Thanks for the replies....I know from reading round here most of you guys don't care for the autos. But this is just part of our growing experiment. My bro is fascinated with the claims of the autos, we have not grown any yet. If we could get an ounce or so off each plant, we would consider it a success. BTW we have nice regular seeds waiting for Spring. This is just something to play with during Winter, what else can we expect ? thanks

If you consider an ounce per plant a success, then you probably will not be disappointed. I grew out several autos when they first came out that I got as freebies, curious, like a lot of other people. What I ended up with was disappointing and simply not worth the time and trouble. I now just throw away any auto seeds I get as freebies.

Does your brother realize that what makes the plant "auto" is that they have been crossed with ruderalis, basically ditch weed? I personally believe that autos are a weakening of the genetics and I am really quite against that, in any form. Breeders have taken great cannabis strains and bred them down substantially just make it somewhat faster to grow, while sacrificing quality and quantity. Shame shame on those breeders. I just think this is criminal. We should be striving all the time to improve the genetics, not dumb them down...

Plant the seeds in taller narrower containers. Give them 20 hours light a day. Keep them absolutely as stress free as possible. Use blue spectrum lighting until they sex and then give them at least some red light--buy new tubes if you need to. The auto pounder cheese shows a 70-75 day flowering period. It will probably take a bit longer than that--you are probably going to want to plan on 12 weeks. Just as a side note, you can get the same turn around with clones.

If you are not serious about getting into growing and are only looking for an ounce or two a plant then Autos might be a good fit for you. The smoke wont be as good as photo period smoke and if you actually get some that is real good then savor it because you can't clone Autos and hang on to a good cut like you can with photo strains. Most of us who are serious about growing grow photo strains and know how to clone so that we can hang on to great genetics and consistently grow those genetics over and over. You can just about match the speed of Autos by cloning and doing a quick veg then flip. Jmo

If they will bud that under the big T5 8 bulb veg light, this would be a good fit for us. Well, until Spring that is. We are going to try a smart pot with one for comparison. I read they worked well in them, something about better root growth. Anyway, thanks again, hope to check in down the road a bit !

I run with both plastic and fabric pots and the fabric pots are waaaaay better.they get bushier in them and they're root masses are like night n day.

Plant the seeds in taller narrower containers.

Hey there THG, again you bring up a point of interest to me. I happen to plant regular seeds in shallower and wider trays like 4-5" high but plants have all the horizontal space that they need. I wonder if changing the tray to a more deep rootzone like 6" or 8" will result in bigger plants and buds? and why would the auto require longer pots? thanks

That is not from me, but I believe that it was JAAM who discovered that his autos did a lot better planted in those tree pots that are taller and narrower.

Brohio. An 8 tube T5 will get them through vegging, but I would certainly be for adding some red tubes for flowering. Do not overextend your space. The T5s do not penetrate as well as HIDs, so remember to keep the light close.

Thanks THG....How many red bulbs should we add, and at what point ??

They would flower under the Veg bulbs but would be much more leafy and the buds would be airy.
I have always grown photo's in 5 gal buckets with a very light soil mix-I want to be able to water every 4 days or so. That wat way they are fed plenty. Usually the bucket would be pretty well filled with roots. I check by lifting the bucket to see if it's watering time you get used to the feel.
. I thought maybe using those tall plastic trash cans and put a divider in the middle. Ours in the kitchen is 13 galllon- that might be a little too big.

I personally would add at least 1/2 red tubes if you can. I think that people generally feed with veg nutes and use blue light until they see preflowers and then it is treated as a flowering plant (except for the lighting hours). That is, switch to flowering nutes and go with at least some red light.

Latest posts

Back