Any one else have a worm bin around here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorgrower

Reaction score
My wife bought me a worm factory 360 and 1000 worms for christmas. I started out with some coco coir, used dirt from my last grow, pumice, and shredded newspaper. I fed them eggshells, apple core, lettuce, pumpkin, and oats, man do they love it. Is any one else around here have a worm bin? Here is a pic of my little composters at work. varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphphkH4Hh.jpg

I just have the worms not the bin, need to sees my doctor next time to town.

BWD

Us growers sure do get some interesting gifts come the holidays.:D

Very cool but I have to admit works creep me out....which is odd considering I love snakes and had lots of them as pets growing up.

I have had an indoor worm bin for 3 years now:)

I do not feed mine eggshells anymore cause it takes to long to break down.

I do feed them my male mj plants, plus any table scraps except for dairy and meat.

I put my eggshells and other scraps in a mini chopper and ground them up, because the first shells don't look like they are breaking down. I also put in some greensand, rock phosphate, kelp meal and other stuff that "The Rev" says to add in his book. Good Luck with that worm problem BWD!

I have a small multi-layer worm bin called "Can-O-Worms". I keep it inside.

What is the purpose of adding greensand and rock phosphate?

juniorgrower said:
I put my eggshells and other scraps in a mini chopper and ground them up, because the first shells don't look like they are breaking down. I also put in some greensand, rock phosphate, kelp meal and other stuff that "The Rev" says to add in his book. Good Luck with that worm problem BWD!

Much abliged ;)

BWD

According to the book THG, these minerals that take a long time to break down naturally but when added to the worm food they break down a lot faster due to the bioactivity from the microbial life. I didn't figure it could hurt anything so I added it to mine.

The Hemp Goddess said:

Yahoo Can-o Worms ;)
I wonder where that is made :D
I have the can-o-worms as well and a worm cafe !

Also any sand apparently assists the worms gizzard tract to break down solids faster its a good thing "apparently" :)

Thanks THC. I will throw a little greensand and rock phosphate into the mix.

aww man along with a compost tumbler, i want a worm bin too! once again though just not enough space atm :-(

The Hemp Goddess said:
Thanks THC. I will throw a little greensand and rock phosphate into the mix.
Absolutely ;)
And a further great idea is to hit it with a hammer on a solid surface to make it "dust" so it is processed faster again which ever natural rock or sands are used the dosage recommendations should be no more than 30% of total solids i like to add 10% dolimite lime "dust" and rotations of 10% rock phospate and or natural mined sulphate of potash and i only add 20% because 30% seems to be a bit rich imo.

Yet the nitrogen bin also gets the same ingrediants but with (N) enriched vegetables,grasses,and without the Potash ;)
Once achieved with your green thumb THG you can use your worm poo for bubble teas or Active Airated Compost Tea "AACT" but with worm poo and composted material to gain across the board microbes .

I would really love to see you do an indoor using this stuff THG ;)
It does'nt smell either because the microbes keep all pathogens at bay :hubba:

ShOrTbUs said:
aww man along with a compost tumbler, i want a worm bin too! once again though just not enough space atm :-(
Thats a great plan SB ;)

If you need room you could put the washing machine in the dumpster ;)

Sorry brother ....but i would throw my bed out to allow my worms to survive so they can produce my nutes :cry:

Compost Tumbler and worm bins with Bubble Tea is great stuff yet i am still trying to perfect it myself .

Great idea ;)

The Hemp Goddess said:

THC is correct and you can make castings to what you need. Just like THC does. Besides greensand and SRP I add zeolite, oyster shell flour, rock dust, just about what ever you think your soil/plants needs. I just do not use lime as I never had any luck with using it.

THC said:
If you need room you could put the washing machine in the dumpster

Or use it to separate your compost:)

I have a side business that sells worm castings. We have 12 bins, and produce roughly 200lbs a month. Less during the cold months.

We've been growing worms for 5 yr.s. What a great way to live with your plants. Green Blessings to you all.

Latest posts

Back