NV's SS CC Bubba Kush, final experiment- #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nvthis

Ok folks, got a little ground to cover real quick like. I have Deep Chunk on deck and that was gonna be a big grow for me, considering the price of the seeds at the time (had we only known!). The decision was made that Subcool's SS recipe would be used. But before I totally wiped out the DC stock on a new recipe, I wanted to run a test grow. That begins now!:D

Bubba Kush was the obvious choice of what I had available. A hardy plant that can really eat. My Afgooey may have proved a little tougher but, as you will see, I was a little worried about any stretch that might occure.

So, following is an experiment constructed from the minds of mice and men. I have gone a little overboard in some areas, and invented as I went. Here goes...

Pic 1 thru 3- Subcool suggests that nothin less than 7 gal would work for this recipe, and 10 was best. This was problematic for me as I don't have a ton of space and will be working with a 600w lumatek. I needed to meet the capacity requirements but try to keep my footprint small. 10 gal nursury pots just wouldn't cut it. Enter invention. Here I have taken 5 gallon buckets, cut 3 in half and drilled drainage in the forth. This bucket system consumes no more than one foot of space at its widest and when all buckets are used I am coming in right below 9 gallons. Will this work? I dunno. I might have some compaction problems but there is only one way to find out.. Also I kind of like the idea of it being completely adjustable. Whether I need 5, 6, 8 or whatever gallons capacity, I can add or remove rings to comply.

Pic 4- CC Bubba Kush in 2 gal nursury pots (sorry, this pic didn't make it)

Pic 5- Subcools SS ready to go with a two month cure

Pic 6- That's deep bro

Pic 7- Gettin' full

Pic 8- These look kinda strange in such big pots, but that is the method behind the madness.

2009_0930Sep300001.JPG

2009_0930Sep300002.JPG

2009_0930Sep300003.JPG

2009_1013Oct130001.JPG

2009_1013Oct130004.JPG

2009_1013Oct130005.JPG

2009_1013Oct130006.JPG

There is about a good 12" of SS in the bottoms of these buckets. That's total overkill. Check:cool:

Those plants are totally small and the containers are totally huge! Check:cool:

I'm probably gonna screw somethin' up. Check, check, check!:cool:

Let the games begin;)

All responses and critisisms are completely welcome!

:ciao: pulling up me milk crate and Have :bong1: in hand :watchplant:

Hey y'all, this should be pretty cool..

Tinfoilhat, commencing final experiment #1

Standby for emergency disengagement protocol

This might get a little rough;)

Over

God I love it when it's fun!!

Hello Nvthis :)

Wow that looks strange yet great at the same time :eek:

The way you have cascaded the tubs will add lots of airation to the soil :aok:

Its going to be interesting to watch.

:peace:

I'm hoping HIE. This really is a safe deal. If the SS conks out I can opt for my regular feeding program, so the only way is up, ya know? I know the buckets are a bit tall, but I am looking forward to 'dissecting' the soil when this is done, and seeing what's been going on down there.. If this works I am prepared to jump to 1000w and more than double the number of buckets for the dc grow. I think I can fit 16 buckets, it just a matter of committing to that much hassle. With the buckets this deep I might even be able to go 2 dc per bucket and trim to cola only. 32 dc colas, that wouldn't be terrible. Yeah, I am getting WAY ahead of myself there:rolleyes:

this will be fun to follow!! may this bud be a winner like your afgooey!

nvthis said:
Hey y'all, this should be pretty cool..

Tinfoilhat, commencing final experiment #1

Standby for emergency disengagement protocal

This might get a little rough;)

Over

God I love it when it's fun!!

:lama:

too cool, you and smoke should have a contest, who can grow big bud in a 23oz sprite bottle. Gonna load the vape fer this one.

Tinfoilhat to CondoBucketGrower... How many states can you see from the top bucket? I bet the view from up there is awesome!

I'm going to give this a try, too! I bought a bunch of 1 gallon buckets at the $ store for my short stuff onyx but then I decided 1 gal buckets probably weren't big enough.

Commencing condo bucket grow! Over!

Hey HIE, good morning! So "Yazz"? Never heard of that. Is that someone pretty popular over there?

Art, wassup! Yeah man, knock yerself out bro (just remember I dunno what's gonna happen so if it screws up ya can't yell at me for it;) )

Ok, so a couple of things to get this started...

Yesterday was Oct. 13th. First day of the official transplant of cc Bubba into Subcool's SS. I think watering is already gonna get interesting. Usually if I use 5 gal buckets the runoff (when there is any, I usually try for that perfect balance- Just enough) will complete itself in about 10 minutes. After yesterdays first watering it was apparent that with mutiple tiers the runoff doesn't even start for ten minutes. Then it takes like 30 minutes+ to complete (a perfect opportunity to check ph.. 6.5 right on the nose, with tap). This might make it a little more difficult to judge what that perfect amount is (i.e. with Happy Frog in a five gal just before leaf droop is just under 3 liters of water. Perfect!- Usually) Why do I think this is important? Well, with the SS I think excess runoff is detrimental and counter productive. The last thing I want to do is leach everything that has drawn me to use it in the first place. To be cont.

Ok, so I have touched on what I believe are some of the positives of using buckets like this, let's hit the negatives! Y'all are welcome to jump in here. I haven't done this before so, at the end of the day, I really don't know WTPH I'm talking about, thank you!

Some things I have considered.. Compaction with the extra weight of the soil. Airiation problems (directly associated with compaction). Watering issues such as not being able to maintain the proper wet/dry cycle or not being able to measure the right amount. Umm, let's see.. Mobility might become a smaller issue, even though I try not to let that happen. Hmm. It's morning here folks, and my brain is still in a fog so jump on in and give me worst case scenerios! I need to feel like I am somewhat informed:D

I plan to veg these for at least a week longer.. The flip is coming soon.

ArtVandolay said:
Tinfoilhat to CondoBucketGrower... How many states can you see from the top bucket? I bet the view from up there is awesome!

Hey Art, is yours the blue house?:D

Is that you, nv??? :):)

Hey, I made two 2 bucket condos this aft and repotted my autos. It's going to work, I'm sure! Just don't forget not to pick it up by the top bucket, nv!

Interesting concept NV. Going to watch from my perch up here in the cheap seats.

ArtVandolay said:
Is that you, nv??? :):)

Hey, I made two 2 bucket condos this aft and repotted my autos. It's going to work, I'm sure! Just don't forget not to pick it up by the top bucket, nv!

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. So what do you guys think? Really, don't be afraid to speculate here, as it is all I am doing!;)

Art, you gonna show us? Would love to see what you came up with. Are you running SS as well?

Has anyone here ran SS before? would love to hear from ya!

nvthis said:
Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. So what do you guys think? Really, don't be afraid to speculate here, as it is all I am doing!;)

Art, you gonna show us? Would love to see what you came up with. Are you running SS as well?

Has anyone here ran SS before? would love to hear from ya!

No reason not to work (except I don't know what SS is). I'm using soil and perlite. I'll post a pic in a bit but don't expect too much :). 2 inch onyx seedlings, each in a 2 nv-bucket condo :hubba:, giving me another 3 inches of soil. Great idea you had there, nv!

Latest posts

Back