NV's SS CC Bubba Kush, final experiment- #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI nvthis...

Howzit growing? I'm LOVING this... We've crossed paths on here but I also get over to thcfarmer from time to time where I'm shhhhh... 'greenplanetguru' lol... :rolleyes: I've been using Subby's soil for a couple of months and it's been producing the best buds I've grown in my 15 years of playing around in the weeds... There is SO much potential for variation too and the 'supersoil' can be used more or less for hungrier strains. I did my first Subsoil grow in 10 gal Agroliner grow bags and that went great. I had a WW that gave me around 7.7oz and a Poison Afghan that gave me just under 5.5 oz... I gave the girls nothing but water and occasional Cal Mag and some Liquid Karma and also some Sweet for carbos a couple times and they flowered like crazy... My WW was at 70 days and I had to pull it a week early cuz it went hermie on me but it still had lots of new pistils despite 35-40% amber trichs. The PA finished beautifully at around 40% amber...

Right now I'm doing a 'test grow' with 8 different females from several strains to find some keeper phenos... Sour Diesel, AK48, Old Time Moonshine, and a SD x OTM cross... I've got these in 2 gal pots with about 30% Subsoil in the bottom and the rest with a 50/50 mix of Subsoil and FFOF with some Light Warrior tossed in too... I'm at about 20 days of flowering and I've given them nothing but water and they're doing great. If they slow down at all I'll top dress with Subsoil and I've also got a new Roots Organics product - Liquid Bat Guano with K-mag that I'll give them some light feedings if needed. Once I get a few more test grows and phenos chosen I'll get back to 7 or 10 gal containers but I like your container idea... I'm always looking for tall containers... I saw some garbage cans that were rectangular at Home Depot that look promising... I also like the 10 gal 'grip lip' style of plastic nursery containers but they do have a slightly larger footprint than your buckets... My 10 gal Agroliner grow bags are about 14" in diameter. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how that BBKush turns out in the Subby soil... Yummy! Y'all know everyone in the dirtyolsouth loves a Bubba...;)

Happy Growing!:cool:

Dirtyo' (aka GPG) glad to have you man. I had no idea that was you!:D Sweet. I think I might need someone to let me know I am messing up! Are you growing single larger plants for those #'s? Hey, I would love it if you could tag along and offer pointers when you feel the need. I'm trying to get it right the first time (thus the 'final experiment- #1, I'll explain later;) ).

If you look at the set of pics I loaded, you see the last one with the plants? You can see I left a ton of space at the top and the plants sit pretty deep? I did this 'just in case' I needed a top dressing! See? Ol' NV's got a few cells left!:rofl:

Thanks for the encouragement Dirty! I really appreciate it.

nvthis said:
Has anyone here ran SS before? would love to hear from ya!

:ciao:

still do...and I believe DirtySouth does as well...Im still anxiously waiting...Sending you Mucho MOJO for the Grow:lama:

sorry should have read all of thread ..:hitchair: 4u2 goes corner without :bong1:

ding, ding. round #1.:D ...

and we have lift off. cool. cool. you know i've been a'waiting patiently for this...:cool: ...

are you using the roots soil?, or did you style your own mix?

are you going to top these?

in subs tutorial, he shows that he veg's the plants out, then puts 'em in the ss mix, then tops. but then, in his plant bondage section, he states he tops the clones while in 1 gal pots , in the veg stage.???

so, is it topping in the ss mix, or while in the veg stage???

i would think you would want to top in the veg stage, and let it recover, growing at least 4 inches on new tops before going into the ss mix...

i think i'm as excited as you are Nv to see this grow documented.:D ...

did i ever tell you that i pulled 5 O's from my lui? that was hydro though. pretty good , eh?...

i'm rocking my normal soil, and a few hydro atm. i just posted up my KULT dwc in the hydro section. check 'em out bro. ones got that bush effect going on.:hubba: ...

if this works well for you, and given i can find all the components of the ss, i may run it in the future.:aok: ...

i'm watching closely, and subscribing...rock on Nv...Irish...

Hey hey IRISH! Glad you could make it bro. Been waitin' on ya;) Wow, looks like the whole gang is here..

Ok man, so I kind of went off on my own a little. Sort of. I am using FF OF/HF/LW. Sub has used these for his recipes in the past and says they are fine. Besides, locally it's all I can get. I also added crab meal and kelp meal for a better source of trace as all I could get locally was soft rock phos. I think this should work ok. I split the recipe into thirds. Looks like I made just enough.

I haven't topped any of them but have supercropped. Seems to me topping would be more beneficial during veg or you just end up with wimpy stems for colas.

Remember that crappy pack of LUI I got? Only two sprouts came out of it. So I am at a moment of indecision. Should I just toss those two? If I get a male and fem, should I go ahead and make the seed and begin the search? Should I just get a different pack and hope for a better pool to draw from? Man, I just don't know. How do you think LUI would handle crossed up with my green crack?(Or my ortega II on GC and make my own version of LUI?):hubba:

5oz a plant huh? Now that is impressive! I have heard that LUI can throw some HUGE yeilding phenos from the ST parentage. I would love to get my greasy fingers on that! lol, you know the only reason I ever considered LUI was because of you bro;)

Ok man, off to check out your hydro grow. See ya there.

Subcools Super Soil

In a nut shell it's a hot soil with a strong nutrient package that, if used correctly, should be enough to carry an entire grow cycle. This means NO added nutes! No mixing, no guessing, no nothing. Basically you would just be adding water as needed. In my case, tap water for the entire grow. Now I could use ro and calmag (and, as I understand it, might need calmag anyway) but then the cost of operation increases slightly. My tap is free so why not? I live in a mountainous region and there is no chlorination practiced on my local water supply. SS is entirely 100% organic. This is an awesome benefit. This also means that the need for flushing is eliminated. Here is the recipe I am using for this grow:

Subs SS 1/3 recipe

Base
1 bag Light Warrior
1 Bag Happy Frog
1 bag Ocean Forest

Supplements
10 lbs worm castings (I got a twelve lb bag and just used it all)
1 lb 11oz steamed bone meal
1 lb 11oz blood meal
1 lb 11oz fruit bat guano (bloom mix)
1 lb rock phosphate (could only find soft rock locally. That's the tan stuff, not the black stuff)
1 lb crab meal
1 lb kelp meal
2oz epsom (I used the store bought. It is recommended that you use the biotanical epsom, but be darned if I know where to get it)
8 tsp lime (doesn't seem like much, huh? Yeah, I used a little more)
8 tsp azomite
2 tsp humic acid powder
1 gal water (I used a little more here too)

I added NO mycorrhizae. Ocean Forest already claims to have it. Also, when I was at Greenfire (makers of Earth Juice), in Chico Ca. looking at the EJ line of mycorrhizae, the EJ spokes person told me not to waste my money :)confused: :confused: :confused: ) that it takes a year to become beneficial. I didn't have a year. Well, the jury is still out on the use of fungi.

This recipe was mixed and stored in a large rubbermaid container. Sub says to put it outside in the sun so it can 'cook', however I found that it seems to do just as good cooking anywhere. Even in a cool, air conditioned room it goes off and creates an enormous amount of heat. If you end up doing it this way, just be prepared for the smell when you airiate it for the first time. IT IS FOUL! So this is how it goes for a minimum of one month. Mine went two for good measure.

One more thing about this soil is that it will cook anything you plant in it. When using it for mj, you have to buffer the ss with base soil and allow the mj roots to find there own way or your plants will die.

Hope this clears up any questions and gives everyone an idea of what's going on here. Fun stuff, eh?

just lost a mega post somehow?...

in a nut shell... after rethinking the topping question i asked earlier, it was a not so thought out answer on my behalf. of course you would not want to top after putting the clones in the SS. this would spoil the show undoubtedly.

after rereading your post on your SS Mix, it has struck me this second round of exactly how hot this soil is. it should be called, SHSM, for ( super hot soil mix)...

on the lui...
yes. the crappy pack. i got one of those too. or , it could have been op error on my part.:rolleyes: who knows.

1 outta 10 is not what i would want to spend 115 for. thats what i got. and she was magnificent. just one fat, greasy, crystallized girl for all my efforts... but oh, how she is loved...:hubba: ...

if they are cramp'in your space, i say gift 'em off. i know how psyched you are over this first round in SS with the BK, now. this way, you may be able to get clones back from them in the spring.:cool: ...

if you've got the room NV, certainly keep your fingers crossed for a male/female. or take pollen from male/male and store for future reference...

i've learned my mistake by not cloning things i wished i would have. lesson learned. i now take the advice my friend Kaotic. Clone Everything...

if the space allows it, i clone. if the space is needed for something else, i still clone, only find homes for the clones, so i can get the cut back if needed down the road. and the more you give out, the better your K+ becomes, and the better chance you have of getting a cut back.:cool2: ...

how do i subscribe?...Irish...

I live in a mountainous region and there is no chlorination practiced on my local water supply.

I hope it is well water/ground water from a personal well other wise I would not drink it. I would think that if the water came from an outside supplier it would have to have some kind of chlorination or chloramines otherwise people would be getting sick from bad water.

Ok Irish, I'll keep the little buggers in and hope for the best! I would love to see one of those infamous LUI huge yeild phenos. I figure my chances are probably around 1 in 11,150,000.... Or better:D

The Bubba is just starting to push since the transplant. Looks like I only lost a day or two. I'll get some pics in this weekend. I think I might go ahead and put a few pre 98' Bubba's through to compare with the cc Bubba. That should be fun 'cause I have grown the club cut Bubba before and it's just dank. We'll see what happens.

I am constantly thinking 2 to 3 grows ahead and I have had this thing scratching the back of my brain for a while.. If the SS works out the way I hope I would like to try a Rubbermaid SS grow. I am thinking two 50 gal or so and multiple cola plants, possibly in a scrog type deal. I know this has been done before, just not by me. Still, there would be lots of stuff I would need to work out before even trying it.

nvthis said:
:D Thanks Smoke. You use it outside too?

Yes in my containers...not the ground....that i make teas and mix in organics..was at Target today and seen a Laundry hamper that was 3 feet tall and 14 inches at top and 12 at bottom..syas 20 gallon....kinda a ugly blue...just was thinking of this thread when i seen it..:D

4u2sm0ke said:
Yes in my containers...not the ground....that i make teas and mix in organics..was at Target today and seen a Laundry hamper that was 3 feet tall and 14 inches at top and 12 at bottom..syas 20 gallon....kinda a ugly blue...just was thinking of this thread when i seen it..:D

Nice! Heavy duty? Yeah, we'll see how this goes. I think a comparison between skinny and tall buckets vs. wide fat Rubbermaid and the same strain may be in order;)

Hey NV.. just ran across yer thread man.... Im pullin up a seat fer sure
brotha :D

Chris, wassup! I'll have new pics of the BK this weekend man. Glad yer here!:D

HIya NV...

Sorry I haven't made your thread it by for a few days... I got those results even with less than ideal conditions... My SS wasn't 'cooked' up quite yet so I started them in 3 gal containers in my own FFOF/LW/+ worm castings & bat guano for the first 3 weeks. Then I transplanted them into the SS in 10 gal Agroliner grow bags. I topped and lollipopped my plants early for four main stems. When I put them in the 10 gal bags I tied down the 4 main stems which opened up the canopy. Usually when I lollipop I get hardcore about removing lower 'sucker' stems but this time I did what i call a 'lazy' lollipop... I pruned some of the lower branches but left an even amount of lower branches with bud sites throughout the canopy. When I tied down the main branches the lower growth that was higher from the tie down really took off and beefed up until the tied down branches made the turn and grew UP and then all the flowering chi or energy evened out... Since the canopy was spread open even the lower buds got plenty of exposure to my 1K... The four main branches becames nice colas and all the other bud growth was very nice and dank and developed as well. Here's a pic of my Poison Afghan just before harvest...

Also... I let the soil cook a full month before I transplanted my girls into it but it didn't turn out to be long enuf and the ph was pretty low for the first couple of weeks. So despite conditions being far from ideal and I still had bangin' results. My current grow I'm running a bunch of seedlings to find phenos and I have 8 plants in 2 gal pots for the whole grow and after I throught these test phenos I'll get back to my 10 gal containers. They are getting close to week 4 and doing great but if they slow down I have some Roots Organics HPK - Liquid Bat Guano + K-mag... I've never used it before but it's 0-5-4 and should work great if they run out of steam in the next few weeks. btw... My ph finally stabilized after about 6-7 weeks of cooking so it's been much smoother this go around... Oh! you should have plenty of mychorrizae in your SS from the FFOF & the LW... Dunno about the Happy Frog but the others have plenty... You'd sure think that the folks at EJ would know their organics... but imho I do think mychorrizae is very beneficial to root growth. All I know is when I use mychorrizae powder when transplanting and/or have LW in my soil mix I get more explosive root production and a noticeably more dense root structure. It's also a good idea to give your soil some occasional Botanicare Sweet or some molasses but shhhhhh... don't tell Stoney Bud!;)

PA.jpg

Here's a recipe for a :baby: baby batch :baby: (1/8 Batch) Subcool Supersoil recipe for those who would like to dabble...

Subcool Super Soil

-> 1/8 Batch (1.5 cubic feet = 2592 cubic inches)

1 - Large bag (1.5 cubic ft.) High quality Organic soil with Mycorrhizae
(i.e. Roots Organic)

3 lbs. Worm Castings
.625 lbs. (10 oz) Steamed Bone Meal (0-10-0)
.625 lbs. (10 oz) Bat Guano (Fruit Bat – High P)
.625 lbs. (10 oz) Blood Meal
.375 lbs. (6 oz) Rock Phosphates
1 TB + 1.5 tsp. Epsom Salts
1/8 Cup Sweet Lime (Powdered Dolomite)
1/8 Cup Azomite (Trace Elements)
.75 tsp Powdered Humic Acid

Run off on this mix after a 4 week sitting with 7 ph water is 6.3

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and add some water to moisten the mix. Place the soil mix in preferably a dark container out in the sun and let it 'cook' in warm temps for 4 to 6 weeks or longer so that the organic amendments breakdown and the ph stabilizes. Follow the link in my signature to see the full thread on Subcool's Supersoil here on MP...

Latest posts

Back